Shooting a mate's wedding on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll have little effect on group shots from a distance, but it's never a bad idea to have it on all the time.

It's certainly not gonna spoil any outdoor images in daylight

Problem is though you are limited to whatever the flash sync is and if you are trying to get creative shots using narrow depth of field of say F1.4 to F4 and it's fairly bright then you can't unless you stick a ND filter on.

Problem is though you are limited to whatever the flash sync is and if you are trying to get creative shots using narrow depth of field of say F1.4 to F4 and it's fairly bright then you can't unless you stick a ND filter on.

I think he'd best avoid being too 'creative' in his first wedding shoot tbh

How did the wedding go Spav?

Mixed.

The formals didn't work out that well - we ran out of time so had to shoot them in a room that was a little too dark, plus there was the usual issue of every man and his dog standing either side of me with their cameras. I also missed a few key shots for various reasons beyond my control - the bridal party (of which I was a part, obviously) were an hour late, so I had zero time to set up. Within 20 seconds of me seeing the main room for the first time, the bridesmaid was on her way down the aisle.

The couple really weren't arsed about the traditional or staged shots anyway, so none of this was such a major issue. Pretty happy with the results overall though. Have about 1,000 workable shots (editing now), and from that I think I'll be able to get to at least 300 keepers. There are maybe 5 or so that are amongst my best 'people' shots, so I'm happy with that. I was still snapping away at 4am, so got some shots that a pro wouldn't have been around for.

Never, ever again though. I have nothing but respect for people who can do this week in, week out. It's physically and mentally exhausting, and so easy to make a balls of it.

If anything goes wrong avoid photographing it. Nerves will be high. One bride trod in some dog shit on her drive as she went to the car and I took some shots but it wasn't really appreciated even if years later they probably laugh at it.

This was good advice, ta. I was with the bridal party in the morning, and I kept this in mind when the bride / bride's mam was getting a bit fraught.

- Use flash on all outdoor shots (sorry if this is egg sucking)

This was handy advice too. I rarely use my flash outdoors, but it was a godsend.

Have about 1,000 workable shots (editing now), and from that I think I'll be able to get to at least 300 keepers. There are maybe 5 or so that are amongst my best 'people' shots, so I'm happy with that.

Well Lord Litchfield would take 3000 shots to choose 12 from for the Pirelli calendar so sounds like you've done a good job by pro standards.

How many would they get if they had hired a pro.

It's all good experience though, I used to find my mind would go blank at times, but nerve racking as you can't exactly do a re-shoot.

Well done NS and I'm sure the happy couple will appreciate your efforts.

Last edited:
Doesn't sound too bad

let that be a lesson, and never do it again :)

Well Lord Litchfield would take 3000 shots to choose 12 from for the Pirelli calendar so sounds like you've done a good job by pro standards.

How many would they get if they had hired a pro.

It's all good experience though, I used to find my mind would go blank at times, but nerve racking as you can't exactly do a re-shoot.

Well done NS and I'm sure the happy couple will appreciate your efforts.

Thanks fella, and thanks for the advice.

Finished the editing this morning and I have 600 or so shots. There's a bit of repetition in there like, but there's plenty for the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back