Shiney Row burning body murder pair get whole-life jail terms

Shocking case and its awful they burned her and she may have still been alive whilst this happened.

The BBC made a typo..

"The fire he started to cover his tracks meant the victim could only be identified by his medical records."

It may be but I doubt it, as it referred to the previous murder he'd committed (the sex of the pensioner wasn't stated).

"Unwin had been released on licence in December 2012 having battered a pensioner to death during a break-in on Christmas Day 1998 in Houghton-le-Spring.

The fire he started to cover his tracks meant the victim could only be identified by his medical records."

I could be wrong mate, there could have been a dad on the scene but not that I remember. They lived in front Street so certainly not wealthy.

Same here. Haven't seen him since leaving school either. Were you in his year too?

You and @NYMackem must know my missus or her brothers tbh, clear your inbox mate and I'll fire you a pm later.

Aye. A vintage year for criminals, even for Kepier.

I guess maybe I must know you then.

I think they came to Dubmire when Unwin was about 7.... I seem to remember that was when his sister was in my class back then.

Yeah, that sounds about right, your brother will know, he was in his Primary school class.

I went to school with his sister and was she was always a canny lass, nee bother to be honest.

I don't even remember his sister existing. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
I understand fully your sentiment, but that's a drain on the public purse to sustain a life which is destined to simply die either tomorrow or in years to come with no meaning. There's a definite case for capital punishment in some cases.
Forgetting everything else. I'm pretty sure the cost of state sponsored killing is loads more than life in jail iirc

Forgetting everything else. I'm pretty sure the cost of state sponsored killing is loads more than life in jail iirc

Interesting, can you provide a link? I'd like to see how those costs about to more than housing, policing and feeding a person for over twenty years.

I'm not saying I disagree at all, it's just not something I've considered before.

Interesting, can you provide a link? I'd like to see how those costs about to more than housing, policing and feeding a person for over twenty years.

I'm not saying I disagree at all, it's just not something I've considered before.

The lethal injection at least in the US costs $1,300 approximately, while the cost of a year in prison costs $35-60,000 depending on where you are incarcerated. Granted this is in America and not the UK.

What I did find is that in the US a case where death penalty is not being sought costs $740,000 to bring to an end, whereas a death penalty trial costs $1.26m..

Now all that said, you can buy a 9mm Beretta and a large box of bullets for under $1,000 and effectively clear the death row of the state of California..... (just saying)

So for these two scumbags, punishment could be dealt out for effectively less than fish lot from Minchellas

Back