Sheff Utd fans

Good bunch of loyal fans.
I remember years ago, probably back in the 70's. We were playing them at Roker, they almost filled the Roker End that day.
Massive turnout.
Sheffield U, shit bricks up here play off game. Got hammered all the way down Roker Avenue. Was in Howard Arms when they came in, canny mob. Got cheeky and got jumped on big style. Daft twats headed for the back door. Those of you who know the Howard know that there is a canny high wall to scale. They tried to scale and were pulled back down. They took a reet tonking that night

I've hardly missed a home game since the mid 60's but don't recall ever seeing Sheff Utd bring a big away following here. Being an old git, my memory could have faded but I can usually recall SAFC related stuff. Remember Sheff Wed having a big, raucous squad in half of the Roker End pre-segregation days. They were quiet as church mice when the boys came round from the Fulwell into the back of the Roker on 85 minutes! To their credit, the Blades have always created a fervent atmosphere at Bramall Lane and I've witnessed some hostile away days down there post match.

Did you find Hillsborough or bramall lane tougher to go to? I've always found Wednesday to have more edge to them certainly the shirts

i like sheffield, it's a great place. used to have a rock/heavy metal pub called the wapentake. i was only young at the time but it was a canny eye opener. proper claggy mat place. sometimes used to see members of saxon and def leppard in there.

Great old ground. I've had a few interesting days down there ower the years..

Was always a tad interesting. It was either the play off semi or the league game when I was queueing to get in a lad not too far from me got a dart in his head from some of theirs piling out of the Cricketersa and lobbing all sorts our way.

I’ve been to both a few times. Spent a few hours in the cells at United.
Been in the pubs around both grounds United is the more edgy without a doubt.

Did you find Hillsborough or bramall lane tougher to go to? I've always found Wednesday to have more edge to them certainly the shirts
Never encountered any trouble at Hillsborough in a few visits there. We were booked into a worky's club at the top of the bank behind the Leppings Lane End for the Tony Norman cup tie (on one of Tommy's Tours). Nee bother, great day out, bar the last minute of the game! Different story at Bramall Lane.

I remember the 6-2 win ...wasn't it ? 3-2 defeat at their place when Alex Sabella was man of the match for them. Rowell blue umbro away shirt era. The 3-2 was one of the main games on Match of the Day.
Barry Siddal saved a last minute penalty ( stat cat does not mention that ) to keep the score at 6 - 2. Before kick off we needed a 4 goal win to either go top or into a promotion place ( can not remember which ). We lost our home games either side of that against struggling Cardiff and rank bottom Blackburn. That cost us promotion. Roly Gregoire missed an absolute sitter against Blackburn in the 1 nil defeat. It was blowing a gale that Easter Monday. Derek Fazackerley scored with a penalty. In the March we had lost at home to Palace. A draw in that game and we would have been champions instead of fourth.

Barry Siddal saved a last minute penalty ( stat cat does not mention that ) to keep the score at 6 - 2. Before kick off we needed a 4 goal win to either go top or into a promotion place ( can not remember which ). We lost our home games either side of that against struggling Cardiff and rank bottom Blackburn. That cost us promotion. Roly Gregoire missed an absolute sitter against Blackburn in the 1 nil defeat. It was blowing a gale that Easter Monday. Derek Fazackerley scored with a penalty. In the March we had lost at home to Palace. A draw in that game and we would have been champions instead of fourth.

I remember feeling the pain that season

We went top after the 6-2 as I recall.

Sheffield U, shit bricks up here play off game. Got hammered all the way down Roker Avenue. Was in Howard Arms when they came in, canny mob. Got cheeky and got jumped on big style. Daft twats headed for the back door. Those of you who know the Howard know that there is a canny high wall to scale. They tried to scale and were pulled back down. They took a reet tonking that night
Is this a spoof Danny Dyer talking?

Mate of mine a former top lad in their firm the BBC, had lots of days out with them and even get a mention in a Blades book on away days (ironically in Sunderland when the ground just opened)....Not for naughty reasons for course but their fanbase is salt of the earth just like ours. (Fuck can they moan like ours too and their hatred Sheff Wed is well on the way to being as toxic as ours with the mags)...Must be a nightmare having that kind of rivalry in the same City, can you imagine us and the Mags sharing boozers every Friday and Saturday night.....
Good to see a Sheffied team back in the top league. Likes of Bournemouth Brighton Palace..always like to see those old northern clubs there instead of that lot.

Agreed, as much as I cannot stand Leeds I think big Northern cities being represented in the Prem rather than little Southern towns is always a good thing. Sheff United, Wed, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Sunderland and Mags are all big clubs and all make the top flight a better place to be than Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace etc.

Last edited:
I remember feeling the pain that season
Yes. I was not at Wrexham but I understand that our fans thought the late turnaround in the game had cliched promotion. They swarmed on the pitch in celebratory mood before finding out Stoke had scored a late goal at Meadow Lane. Even then the agony was not over. We waited until the following Friday hoping against hope that Burnley would deprive Palace. But an incredible 51000 turned up at selhurst Park to see Palace win two nil

Back