Sheff Utd fans

we rarely played them in the 70s or 80s and looking at attendances on the stat cat, this story just doesn’t add up.

it could only possibly be 1989, when they had Deane and Agana up front, but even then they only got the main stand third of the Roker End
Played them a few times in the late 70's.
Probably 78/79
No idea about the crowd though.

Great club. Academy output is as good as any club the past decade. Walker, Maguire, Brooks, DCL, Lowton. Bramall Lane is a great away day

1999. Bridges taking piss and missing a pen for his hat trick. Great day out
Except for Sunderland Sheffields my favourite city in England. Proper northern city but quite hippyish so decent place for a night and great for vegan bait for dissadents like myself. Produces its fair share of sports people( Root, Kell Brook, jess ennis, Vardy, Gordon Banks) and music. Used to live in Hope and commute into Sheffield. Happy Days
Yep bridges " retired" Bruce that day, we had both tiers Boro were there a few weeks later and had less than a bus full.

Played them a few times in the late 70's.
Probably 78/79
No idea about the crowd though.
About 22000 in 77/8,
35,000 in 78/9, but that one was midweek, they were on brink of relegation and we were in the running for promotion so almost all of the crowd would be Sunderland

Last edited:
Weird you starting a thread that wasn’t slagging something off.
Thank you Mr Weird.
What do you mean?
I meant there was a fair bit of bother that day.
we rarely played them in the 70s or 80s and looking at attendances on the stat cat, this story just doesn’t add up.

it could only possibly be 1989, when they had Deane and Agana up front, but even then they only got the main stand third of the Roker End
Might have been an FA cup game. cant remember.

Last edited:
I went to a night match in the 90s at Hillsborough with my daughter and son. Parked up they had our shirts on under coats. I had no colours. Walking down the hill towards their end and some of their lads got behind us and deliberately tripped me up from behind.
I said nowt. Their language was terrible and then it happened again. I stopped and pointed out I was with my kids. I was immediately punched infront of my kids. What do you do ?
Fight back ?
I woukd love to meet that bastard again. Without my kids being there.
Wednesday scum.

I remember the 6-2 win ...wasn't it ? 3-2 defeat at their place when Alex Sabella was man of the match for them. Rowell blue umbro away shirt era. The 3-2 was one of the main games on Match of the Day.

I went to a night match in the 90s at Hillsborough with my daughter and son. Parked up they had our shirts on under coats. I had no colours. Walking down the hill towards their end and some of their lads got behind us and deliberately tripped me up from behind.
I said nowt. Their language was terrible and then it happened again. I stopped and pointed out I was with my kids. I was immediately punched infront of my kids. What do you do ?
Fight back ?
Wednesday scum.
Shocking that mate,total scum.

Good bunch of loyal fans.
I remember years ago, probably back in the 70's. We were playing them at Roker, they almost filled the Roker End that day.
Massive turnout.
I've hardly missed a home game since the mid 60's but don't recall ever seeing Sheff Utd bring a big away following here. Being an old git, my memory could have faded but I can usually recall SAFC related stuff. Remember Sheff Wed having a big, raucous squad in half of the Roker End pre-segregation days. They were quiet as church mice when the boys came round from the Fulwell into the back of the Roker on 85 minutes! To their credit, the Blades have always created a fervent atmosphere at Bramall Lane and I've witnessed some hostile away days down there post match.

Good bunch of loyal fans.
I remember years ago, probably back in the 70's. We were playing them at Roker, they almost filled the Roker End that day.
Massive turnout.
Can't say I know any. There was a bloke who managed a pub in Sheffield that me ex worked in. He was a bit handy with his hands if you know what I mean. I reckon South Yorkshire Constabulary would take some interest in his hard drive. Anyway, it's great to see a team punching above their weight like Sheff Utd. It gives me hope - seems as though every year there is an unfashionable team that threatens the usual Top 6 - Wolves, Watford, Leicester (2016), Bournemouth (2015) etc etc

Fight back ?
Wednesday scum.
Met a few Wednesday lads, all fine. Unfortunately you encountered their scum section, punching anybody is shit but when they're with kids, fuckin hell man.
10 years in clink for that kind of wanker at least.

Yep bridges " retired" Bruce that day, we had both tiers Boro were there a few weeks later and had less than a bus full.
I dont go to many away games( i grew up in Yorkshire so coming to watch us at home was like an away game for me) but I was at both Bradford 4 nils, 4-2 at Hillsborough under Keano and that game at Bramall Lane. I wish I was a lucky charm but I was at the Sheff Wed game when Tony Norman dropped the ball on Mark Brights head in the last minute and a game when I was a bairn at Elland Road when the dirties spanked us 5 nil. I'm going to Oxford next week lets hope the lads bring out the 4 goals for me again

Back