Shed 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whats peoples take on them? Just got the greatest hits on and forgot they had a quite a few decent tunes. Remember seeing them live down York and the lead singer for some reason queued with us to get into his own gig :lol:

Class. Went to seem them at the the Roundhouse last Saturday, still a great live band. They don't market themselves to be taken too seriously and you can just have a few pints and sing-along pretending you're 16 again without all the wanker'ishness that goes with an Oasis gig.

Class. Went to seem them at the the Roundhouse last Saturday, still a great live band. They don't market themselves to be taken too seriously and you can just have a few pints and sing-along pretending you're 16 again without all the wanker'ishness that goes with an Oasis gig.

I was reading about them and the theory is they didnt get as big as they should've done because Oasis slagged them off and at the time if you didn't get the thumbs up from Noel Gallagher you were going to struggle. (I must add that said information was in the album booklet, so hardly impartial :lol:)

I was reading about them and the theory is they didnt get as big as they should've done because Oasis slagged them off and at the time if you didn't get the thumbs up from Noel Gallagher you were going to struggle. (I must add that said information was in the album booklet, so hardly impartial :lol:)

I think it was 1996 where Shed Seven had more top 40 hits than Oasis which I don't think Noel liked too much so decided to slag them off.

I think it was 1996 where Shed Seven had more top 40 hits than Oasis which I don't think Noel liked too much so decided to slag them off.

Not convinced Noel was arsed about top 40s then cos it was around that time he could release a fart and it would top the charts.

This about sums it up. But I still really like them, they do a Christmas tour every couple of years, it's well worth getting along to, you forget how many good songs they had.

Shed Seven were the perennial underachieving Britpop also-rans, who had a ridiculous misconception of their own importance and ability, and, lest we forget, were the band who, somewhat embarrassingly, re-appropriated their own song for The Link advert (you know the one; “at The Link it’s easy, easy” !). But, hold on a moment. Dig a little deeper and you’ll find an actually pretty bloody successful band with a whole raft of stone-cold classic pop tunes.

First of all, a few stats for you (cheers Wiki):

– 15 top 40 singles
– 4 top 20 albums
– in 1996 the Sheddoes had more chart hits than any other band!
– played with Ride, Elastica, Oasis etc and got to number one in Thailand, beating Take Thatto the top spot !

When the Sheds first came out, they were thought to be a brash, laddish breath of fresh air as they faced down their contemporaries, Oasis, with a sneer (despite singer Rick Witter’s alleged 26 inch waist !). As they evolved as a band though, it quickly became clear to the more sensitive of us Britpop kids that there was something deeper and more longer-lasting at work. Comparisons with Suede and the Smiths abounded and the band responded in kind by making their songs more epic and grandiose and tempering their confidence with a sensitivity and attention to detail lacking in most of their peers.
They were rewarded for their efforts with two amazing albums: the debut “Changegiver” and follow up “A Maximum High” and a string of singles that won them more and more fans (mostly in Thailand!) and played an important part in expanding the Britpop blueprint beyond its initial limited range.

The problem was, that even to their fans, they were perhaps their fourth or fifth favourite band! Although they charted, it was inevitably number 27 with a bullet! Despite their illustrious peers, they were quickly left behind, not helped by the music press (mainly the NME) backlash against them, which always seemed so unjustified to me. They fizzled out in a boring cycle of poorly-received albums, label problems, ‘musical differences’ between band members and increasingly rubbish songs.

93 - 98 was particularly tremendous for moi, although 90 for the world cup alone was a belter of a year.

Yes, our crowd started boozing, clubbing, gigging around 1989, out a lot until 2000ish and some good music, clobber, footy tournaments. It was a shame that SAFC were shite for big parts of it!

I'd never heard this before and it's quite good. I might listen to some of their stuff today. I was more into Oasis, Charlatans, Bluetones, Radiohead etc. at the time.

Were they a pop band or a bit more serious? I think they fell between the two, but Going for Gold and On Stand By still get played in this household.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back