Shane McGowan - hypocrite?

f***ing hell man...people moaning cos a rock star was 'adulterous' and a shit dad :lol:
Mebbe stick to the singing nun then?
Lennon was a f***ing cock man. Proper horrible human who tried to do all this peace & love shite, lecturing everybody who’d listen about making the world a better place when he couldn’t get simple things right himself. Amazing songwriter

He’s must love this time of the year all the royalties come in from fairytale of New York

him.....noddy holder, Roy wood, shakin stevens etc love Christmas......it’s their payday..........I recon they’ll f*cking kill Michael Buble for trying to muscle in on the repetitive mind numbing festive songs market.

Never got to see them before then. I was when they reformed, maybe about 2001ish? Loved it the 6/7 times I saw them. I’ll have missed out though.
We've done this several times before but I'll again throw in my favourite gig of all time. St Patricks Day 1986, Hammersmith Palais.

Lennon was a f***ing cock man. Proper horrible human who tried to do all this peace & love shite, lecturing everybody who’d listen about making the world a better place when he couldn’t get simple things right himself. Amazing songwriter

I think being that famous would fuck anyone up. You can’t lead a normal life, not that it really excuses the bad stuff he did mind especially to his kids.

Add to that the drug taking and been on tour all your life. I imagine it was difficult for Lennon to ever just be “John”

We've done this several times before but I'll again throw in my favourite gig of all time. St Patricks Day 1986, Hammersmith Palais.
Aye, we’ve done this before, so fuck off again ;)
I think being that famous would fuck anyone up. You can’t lead a normal life, not that it really excuses the bad stuff he did mind especially to his kids.

Add to that the drug taking and been on tour all your life. I imagine it was difficult for Lennon to ever just be “John”
i can imagine sitting with the other three having a pint, but John being in the corner being all nasty, just cos he’s a bitter man.

Last edited:
Why is he a hypocrite?

Great songwriting but for me the best live versions were on the Joe Strummer (another public school type) tour. From memory that was a Christmastime gig, at the City Hall.

The fact that he wanted to join a terrorist organisation that was bombing UK shopping centres but made his name & fortune in the UK? How is that not being a hypocrite?
Would you be happy if the lead singer of a muslim group in the UK said he would like to join ISIS, after what they did at Manchester Arena?

The fact that he wanted to join a terrorist organisation that was bombing UK shopping centres but made his name & fortune in the UK? How is that not being a hypocrite?
Would you be happy if the lead singer of a muslim group in the UK said he would like to join ISIS, after what they did at Manchester Arena?

I don't think he ever made a secret of his sympathies. So unpleasant, yes (despite the songs, some of which are brilliant) but not really a hypocrite, at least not in my book.

I don't think he ever made a secret of his sympathies. So unpleasant, yes (despite the songs, some of which are brilliant) but not really a hypocrite, at least not in my book.

I can see your point, but as I've said before it doesn't stop him being a hypocrite just because he doesn't try to hide it. It just shows him to be more of an arsehole in my book.
But great songs etc.

Hypocrite or is it just me struggling to understand the complexities of the Irish political landscape of the 70s/80s?
Seemed happy enough to make his name & fortune in the UK but looks like it was through gritted (rotten) teeth?

"MacGowan’s enthusiastic endorsement of Irish uprisings against the British and adoration of the IRA – “I felt ashamed I didn’t have the guts to join [them],” he says at one point."

Plastic paddy.

Hated by most real Irish folk so will say anything to endear himself to those gullible enough to lap it up.

Back