Shane McGowan - hypocrite?

Having never listened to all the songs ever written I can’t claim he is the best there has ever been.

However, the person who finished ahead of him, they are.

Having never listened to all the songs ever written I can’t claim he is the best there has ever been.

However, the person who finished ahead of him, they are.
The validity of this statement is a matter of opinion
But you must agree that's a damn fine post whoever you apply it to.

McGowan and the Pogues are very overrated. Most of their stuff was just good time sing along, bounce along music. I saw the Pogues some time late 80s or early nineties, cant remember.

His later politics were stupid and ill judged and may have been affected by his drinking. And I say that as an Irish person.

What is interesting is that many of the giants of "British" pop/rock music were born in England of Irish emigrants. The list includes Lennon & McCartney, Elvis Costello, Morrissey and Marr, John Lydon (Rotten) and the Gallagher brothers. Even fecking Boy George. There must have been something about growing up under the influence of two cultures that produced great songwriting.

Logon or register to see this image

Think people are going OTT with Lennon mind. Aye he had a nasty streak (and he had affairs, wow) but was far from being a junkie who would kick the piss out his missus.

People who think this are the types who think someone who likes the odd line is a coke addict with one nostril.
Well Dylan is for starters.

Correct. Two of the fowa Beatles blow him away as well. Then you've got Neil Young to add to the mix too. And that's without giving it much thought.

Last edited:

Back