Shambolic Covid Vaccine Rollout

They will all be rearranged - first or not - these weren't final decisions and those people will never get inoculated.

i didn’t say they wouldn’t get it. Imagine 40000 mostly over 70s and having to try and explain why their 2nd dose is cancelled for now or their 1st appointment is cancelled and someone will call them in a few weeks. Thats what happened, and i feel sorry for them having to go through it - maybe some don’t think it was a problem but i do 🤷‍♂️

numbers were still perfectly fine. where you were in any occupation, you will find something is "shambolic"

first 11 days or so of jabbing from jan 11th

as someone said over the xmas/new year period, the government couldn't be blamed if pfizer weren't issuing the vaccine supplies quick enough, but given it was over xmas, maybe understandable. i know a good amount of people who have had the jab now who have spoken highly of how things have been/no cancellations, and some of those who work in care homes were some of the first in the country to have the jab before xmas and they had no issues and said everything went well and was organised well.

the logistics of storing a vaccine at -70 won't have been easy for something so new to everyone also. it seems any teething problems (always going to happen) were ironed out very quickly

I guess if you look hard enough and deep enough you will find problems with anything. Fella in the village I know has to go to Durham for his jab, yet the wife had to go to Peterlee, my aunty and uncle had to go to Aycliffe..... not big issue but certainly an eyebrow raiser as to why such travel when they do them locally at Peterlee.

massive effort by all those involved, I've noticed the OP is quiet now as the rollout is going superbly well which suggest to me the OP is slightly gutted things aren't "shambolic".

Some people were clearly hoping for a Tory fuck up with this
he was literally working on it and you have a spreadsheet 🤦🏻‍♂️

i didn’t say they wouldn’t get it. Imagine 40000 mostly over 70s and having to try and explain why their 2nd dose is cancelled for now or their 1st appointment is cancelled and someone will call them in a few weeks. Thats what happened, and i feel sorry for them having to go through it - maybe some don’t think it was a problem but i do 🤷‍♂️

But they weren’t cancelled.

They’ve been rearranged.

But they weren’t cancelled.

They’ve been rearranged.

they were cancelled at the time some of them. I wouldn’t dare post stats on numbers cancelled with no new appointment given, but its a lot more than you’d ever expect

You’re looking at numbers of vaccines given, maybe because of my role i care about the patient side and impact on them and their families / carers. A lot had a horrible experience, and that was down to government / NHSE

do you work in NHS or are your views from media / reports only?

Bloody hell man. What an absolute doom merchant you are. Yes there have been some minor hiccups along the way (understandable given the scale and pace of the vaccination program) but to be where we are is an outstanding achievement by everyone involved. You just don’t seem to want to see any positives about it.

Bet if you won £50 mill on the lottery you would be down because it wasn’t £51 mill.

they were cancelled at the time some of them. I wouldn’t dare post stats on numbers cancelled with no new appointment given, but its a lot more than you’d ever expect

You’re looking at numbers of vaccines given, maybe because of my role i care about the patient side and impact on them and their families / carers. A lot had a horrible experience, and that was down to government / NHSE

I disagree - I'm not saying you're making stuff up, but every adult is getting two doses.

Appointments are being rearranged so everybody gets a two doses. Where calls had to be made about second appointments being moved, if the people making these calls have been using words such as 'cancelled' then they are at fault.

It's not the Governments fault at all.

Bloody hell man. What an absolute doom merchant you are. Yes there have been some minor hiccups along the way (understandable given the scale and pace of the vaccination program) but to be where we are is an outstanding achievement by everyone involved. You just don’t seem to want to see any positives about it.

Bet if you won £50 mill on the lottery you would be down because it wasn’t £51 mill.

i’m not a doom merchant at all, i’ve said several times its a fantastic achievement far exceeding expectations. The government should also be praised for securing vaccines.

It was a shambles in the beginning though imo, and considering i was part of those who had to deal with the shit please excuse my concerns for patients that were affected. It seems you aren’t allowed to criticise anything to do with the rollout though so i’ll shut up 🤷‍♂️

for what it's worth the wifes aunty works in the nhs as a surgery nurse up in Newcastle and has said things are going very well. few hiccups but nothing to get carried away with.

Each to their own I guess.

The fact my wife got her jab last week in priority group 6 suggests to me things are going above expectations and those responsible deserve massive credit. This in an area where a local MP was issuing scare stories saying East Durham weren't getting enough vaccines, when in reality East Durham were way ahead of many others in the country and the region as a whole despite some MPs claiming our jabs were going down south which looking at how fast we're ahead of things, I suggest was utter bollocks

a 66m vaccine roll out was always going to have hiccups but looking at the numbers, speaking to people, reading stuff on here, I'd say on the whole throughout, things have been very positive.

A bit like the media, some people on here thrive on the negatives and I honestly believe that's due to political reasons with this covid carry on.

Last edited:
for what it's worth the wifes aunty works in the nhs as a surgery nurse up in Newcastle and has said things are going very well. few hiccups but nothing to get carried away with.

Each to their own I guess.

The fact my wife got her jab last week in priority group 6 suggests to me things are going above expectations and those responsible deserve massive credit.

a 66m vaccine roll out was always going to have hiccups but looking at the numbers, speaking to people, reading stuff on here, I'd say on the whole throughout, things have been very positive.

A bit like the media, some people on here thrive on the negatives and I honestly believe that's due to political reasons with this covid carry on.

i’ve praised the rollout a lot, its all a positive including the governments role in securing vaccs

i certainly don’t thrive on negatives, quite the opposite. I’m not going to ignore what i saw and was directly involved with either though just because some of it was negative

i’ve praised the rollout a lot, its all a positive including the governments role in securing vaccs

i certainly don’t thrive on negatives, quite the opposite. I’m not going to ignore what i saw and was directly involved with either though just because some of it was negative

But that was in the past. Anyone affected by the delay in supplies will have had their first and possibly their second vaccination by now. They are fine. My view is that if you are still upset about something that happened a couple of months ago then you need to speak to someone about it. It’s not normal to still be so wound up especially as things are going so well now. Can you access a counsellor through work?

But that was in the past. Anyone affected by the delay in supplies will have had their first and possibly their second vaccination by now. They are fine. My view is that if you are still upset about something that happened a couple of months ago then you need to speak to someone about it. It’s not normal to still be so wound up especially as things are going so well now. Can you access a counsellor through work?

i’m far from wound up upset in here, couldn’t care less whether anyone likes or dislikes my opinion tbh.

i’ve said the rollout is great now, fantastic effort by everyone. But, this thread was specifically about it being a shambles at the start which it was imo. Some may disagree, some may agree but i’m just passing comment / opinion like anyone else 🤷‍♂️

My mother in law is 97 years old and she got the first jab but the second was cancelled. It wasn’t an issue at all and neither was any other changed appointments for people below or above 70 years that I know. And now we know that the right single vaccine decision with a 12 week wait was correct. It has been a mammoth task to get things planned, organized, delivered all over the country and to get people attending. The vaccination figures, compared to almost everywhere else in the world and based on patient feedback, has been overwhelmingly brilliant.

Both sets of our parents have been vaccinated over the last week, aged 70,69,65 and 64 (with medical conditions).

Have always been more concerned with them getting it, so happy.
Good news
The front page of Bild, Germany’s best read newspaper, this morning was emblazoned with a large Union Jack and the words “Dear Britain, we envy you” written across it. Accompanying text read that “the English have announced their return to normality on June 21… and here there’s no hope”. The paper noted that a total of 17.7 million Brits have been jabbed, compared to just 3.4 million in Germany.

Last edited:
I disagree - I'm not saying you're making stuff up, but every adult is getting two doses.

Appointments are being rearranged so everybody gets a two doses. Where calls had to be made about second appointments being moved, if the people making these calls have been using words such as 'cancelled' then they are at fault.

It's not the Governments fault at all.
In fairness, if you have an appointment for Monday, and someone calls to say you no longer have an appointment for Monday, and there is no other appointment being made to replace it at this time, then its a struggle to say its anything other than cancelled.

Not that I disagree with the actual activity - getting a 1st dose into everyone was clearly the best plan from the outset, and I can see why it wasn't the original plan (because of the regime involved in the testing phase).
In fact, if they can rush a modified version out for 2nd doses (at least for some people), then its pretty much ideal. Pfizer should be right at this by now, shouldn't they?

There's very little wrong here.

I'm 58 and will be getting my first injection on Friday, probably a bit early as I'm overweight, borderline diabetic and on high blood pressure tablets.
I'm a Tory Basher, but as far as the vaccine goes its all going very well and they all deserve credit for it. You will always have teething issues with such a massive rollout that's never been done before.
I had the flu jab in October for the first time and that was done at the local surgery on a 2 minute drive through the car park. Again very well organised.
I also know an Army Major who has been part of the organisation of the Army's assistance in rolling it out in some areas. They've been carrying out an important key role in the logistics of all of this.

Just an update.
I work above a jabbing station and have watched all the over 70s going through over the last few weeks.
All on time ( early ) straight through and into the 15 minute jabbin cabin , then picked up by relatives.
Brilliant process and plan , poetry in motion.

Sadly , this week they have moved onto the "underlying " group, and we have kick offs with alchys, druggies etc .
Turning up when they feel like it, arguing with the nurses, pissing against walls .
Refusing to wear masks due to underlying, bringing in mates with them , slavvering the staff.

The nurse who runs the show said they are only getting half as many through, due to the calibre of the patients.

Shame really, after seeing a month of the best of British , now we are seeing the worst.

Back