Shackleton

Skandhaless

Striker
Watched a documentary on him last night . I knew about him but when you see the endurance of the men it was unbelievable over 18 months
I never really counted how much his skipper Worsely did . An absolute superman of a mariner in small craft .
They don't make them like them any more , doubt any special forces men could have done better

Watched a documentary on him last night . I knew about him but when you see the endurance of the men it was unbelievable over 18 months
I never really counted how much his skipper Worsely did . An absolute superman of a mariner in small craft .
They don't make them like them any more , doubt any special forces men could have done better
I remember attending a ranulph fiennes lecture a while ago, and his story of cutting off his frostbitten fingers after they died at - 63 temps, and thinking this guy is a different breed.

Was that the one with Laurence Fishburn presenting it on Sky?

Was that the one with Laurence Fishburn presenting it on Sky?
No mate , I've been wracking my brain to remember what it was on . Might have been one of the daft low rent freeviews .
In the course of looking for it again just seen another one called Shackleton's captain which looks good ,on prime
I remember attending a ranulph fiennes lecture a while ago, and his story of cutting off his frostbitten fingers after they died at - 63 temps, and thinking this guy is a different breed.
Something else mate , pure mortification of the body by will

Last edited:
No mate , I've been wracking my brain to remember what it was on . Might have been one of the daft low rent freeviews .
In the course of looking for it again just seen another one called Shackleton's captain which looks good ,on prime

Something else mate , pure mortification of the body by will
Yes, I was lucky enough to see him interviewed by bear grylls on his 75'th birthday, he said he had lots of plans for expeditions as yet unfulfilled.
Logon or register to see this image

He was an amazing leader, that journey in an open boat was amazing then hiking over the island. Even without it going wrong the idea of being iced in for maybe 2 year, just on the ship or tents, nowt to do, how do you keep morale going?

He was an amazing leader, that journey in an open boat was amazing then hiking over the island. Even without it going wrong the idea of being iced in for maybe 2 year, just on the ship or tents, nowt to do, how do you keep morale going?
They reckon the navigation in the open boat it's self was freakish , seeing the sun once in 3 days for readings , the rest by gut reckoning to hit an island 100 miles across and if you overshot you were dead .

Back