Sgt Blackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unless you understand the logistics out there then it's difficult to explain.

Basically you have a Platoon size location who are left to deal with everything and are resupplied via helicopter or by vehicle, apart from that the Platoon will have no physical contact(wrong word to use) with anyone else for days or weeks.
Fair enough, I have no experience of anything like this so I demur to your better knowledge.

From a layman's point of view he acted like a cock and I'm amazed at the length of time it took to come up with the diminished responsibility defence.

I apologise if this clashes with anyone's views but I am a cynical bastard at heart.

People who have never ever served, and sat behind a desk all their life reading the daily mail have not got a scooby
I've never served. Please don't patronise me. You know nothing about me.

It's not like they have a psychologist going along with them dragging a chaise longue for them to lie on in the field and discuss their feelings
Exactly mate, there's fuck all help for the lads on the frontline, what is seen and why is done can seriously fuck your head up.

I've said on here previously and I'm not ashamed anymore to repeat it, I almost lost everything, my home, my wife and kids. I found the help I needed and I can now deal with wobbles when they come along. I'm still a bit of a loose canon but staying away from the demon drink has also helped.

Fair enough, I have no experience of anything like this so I demur to your better knowledge.

From a layman's point of view he acted like a cock and I'm amazed at the length of time it took to come up with the diminished responsibility defence.

I apologise if this clashes with anyone's views but I am a cynical bastard at heart.

It was broad statement not aimed at you as a person, you tart.

It's also true

It's war mate and tactically he made the correct decision, nobody in command wants to put their blokes at unnecessary risk.

It mind sound wrong but it's the reality of it, no headcam no issue.

It's war mate and tactically he made the correct decision, nobody in command wants to put their blokes at unnecessary risk.

That's the crux. I would guess that over the years worse things have happened. The fact is he was caught with evidence.
His eventual appeal win makes my cynical heart question the outcome.

This is a message board mate ;)
Full of knowledge you aren't ya?

Exactly mate, there's fuck all help for the lads on the frontline, what is seen and why is done can seriously fuck your head up.

I've said on here previously and I'm not ashamed anymore to repeat it, I almost lost everything, my home, my wife and kids. I found the help I needed and I can now deal with wobbles when they come along. I'm still a bit of a loose canon but staying away from the demon drink has also helped.

I understand this is a personal question, so feel free to ignore it, but have you considered speaking to anyone for some belated help/therapy etc?

I've been to the Docs and asked for help. It's not an easy step to take, but it's the biggest.

People who have never ever served, and sat behind a desk all their life reading the daily mail have not got a scooby

Bollocks. It's clear as day that he broke every rule in the book. The rules that are meant to make us "better" than the Taliban/Al-Queada etc. He pretty much made himself as bad as them in doing what he did. A good soldier would have not done what he did.

Bollocks. It's clear as day that he broke every rule in the book. The rules that are meant to make us "better" than the Taliban/Al-Queada etc. He pretty much made himself as bad as them in doing what he did. A good soldier would have not done what he did.

Right o mate, I am 100% convinced now. Cheers

Maybe so but he was sentenced for manslaughter and as part of that has served the portion of his sentenced required in prison and is now due for release. Therefore he was convicted of unlawfully killing someone and that is not in dispute.

Maybe so but he was sentenced for manslaughter and as part of that has served the portion of his sentenced required in prison and is now due for release. Therefore he was convicted of unlawfully killing someone and that is not in dispute.

Will never understand how it was reduced to manslaughter when the video shows him murder him in cold blood. And admit it. Justice system is barmy.

If he hadn't done his creepy little speech and acknowledged that he had broken the Geneva convention I doubt he'd have been convicted headcam or not.

I do think the head cams are a good idea, realistically speaking you could end up in a position where you need to kill some kid, would be nice to have video evidence that 13 year old Abdul was trying to kill you at the time when the baby killer accusations start.

Will never understand how it was reduced to manslaughter when the video shows him murder him in cold blood. And admit it. Justice system is barmy.
Diminished responsibility due to PTSD or some shit. Don't actually disagree with the manslaughter charge tbh.

Last edited:
I understand this is a personal question, so feel free to ignore it, but have you considered speaking to anyone for some belated help/therapy etc?

I've been to the Docs and asked for help. It's not an easy step to take, but it's the biggest.
I got some help mate from a charity in Durham and it really helped, they're on the end of the phone if I need them.

Define 'a good soldier'.

The fact is every single individual would of acted differently if put in his position. I have no problem with what SGT Blackman did. To stay there and administer first aid and even call in a chinook to air lift the injured taliban insurgent when 'mortally wounded' would of been a waste of resources not to mention the added risks it entails of further attacks on the soldiers in question.

Define 'a good soldier'.

The fact is every single individual would of acted differently if put in his position. I have no problem with what SGT Blackman did. To stay there and administer first aid and even call in a chinook to air lift the injured taliban insurgent when 'mortally wounded' would of been a waste of resources not to mention the added risks it entails of further attacks on the soldiers in question.

So if/when the same thing happens to British soldiers, the patriots among us would have no problem with that?

Because the definition of manslaughter is the act of killing someone with mitigating factor. In this case he argued (whether you agree or not) successfully that the mitigating factor was diminished responisbility due to PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back