Sex in a pizza shop or stabbing your partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

I said people would be moaning about prison not being enough of a punishment. I was not expressing anything like prison isn’t a punishment but you still replied saying

“Prison is a punishment? Whatever next” as if I was saying it isn’t a punishment

sorry mate I must have missed the 'bigger picture' as you put it. You misquoted me btw.

Prisons more of a punishment? Whatever next:rolleyes:

I'm saying why is it so radical or 'angry brigade' to think prison should be more of a punishment

Because it’s a very narrow, “look at how common sense i am” kind of ideal that usually goes alongside limited to no knowledge of the criminal justice system or the wider determinants of offending

People who make the assumption that if prisons were harder then people wouldn’t be in prison are projecting THEIR values onto the people who end up in prison, when really they can’t understand the motivations of those people at all.

Prison acts as a very strong deterrent for most people anyways. Stronger punishments won’t reduce offending and longer sentences won’t solve the issues.

Look at the US for a good example

Because it’s a very narrow, “look at how common sense i am” kind of ideal that usually goes alongside limited to no knowledge of the criminal justice system or the wider determinants of offending

People who make the assumption that if prisons were harder then people wouldn’t be in prison are projecting THEIR values onto the people who end up in prison, when really they can’t understand the motivations of those people at all.

Prison acts as a very strong deterrent for most people anyways. Stronger punishments won’t reduce offending and longer sentences won’t solve the issues.

do you think the suspended sentence for this particular pretty and clever stabber was too lenient?

should there be a minimum mandatory prison sentence for a conviction of stabbing?

Alternatively look at the example set by Norway, which treats prisoners like people, barely limiting their freedoms, and focusing on rehabilitation. They have among the world's lowest recidivism rates

Alternatively look at the example set by Norway, which treats prisoners like people, barely limiting their freedoms, and focusing on rehabilitation. They have among the world's lowest recidivism rates

Aw ffs. You’ve said the N-word. You’ve set off literally every conservative going!

do you think the suspended sentence for this particular pretty and clever stabber was too lenient?

should there be a minimum mandatory prison sentence for a conviction of stabbing?

No idea, wasn’t in the courtroom to hear all the evidence.

No, sentences should have guidelines but the judge should have final say, and both parties should be able to appeal

Aw ffs. You’ve said the N-word. You’ve set off literally every conservative going!

No idea, wasn’t in the courtroom to hear all the evidence.

No, sentences should have guidelines but the judge should have final say, and both parties should be able to appeal

what's wrong with a mandatory sentence such as in drink driving cases?

I'd argue intentional stabbing is a lot more serious

what's wrong with a mandatory sentence such as in drink driving cases?

I'd argue intentional stabbing is a lot more serious

There's still an element of discretion and common sense in drink driving cases for how long the ban wìll be.
So, yes, an automatic ban is the mandatory sentence as such, but the length of ban is entirely up to the magistrate according to their guidelines and advice from the legal officer.

In this case, on the face of it, I'd say stabbing is worse than shagging in public in a way that nobody can really see anything anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back