Seven things teachers don't want to hear from parents.

A school trust has issued a letter to parents urging them to treat teachers with respect after incidents which have seen some mams and dads banned from school grounds.
And in it, staff have outlined the seven things they don't want to hear from parents whose youngsters might have fallen foul of school rules during lesson time.

The points have been put to parents by The Arete Learning Trust which runs secondary schools in Stokesley, Northallerton and Richmond in a letter from chief executive officer Catherine Brooker.
They are:

• "I'm not going to allow my child to do a detention"
  • "I don't want my child punished until I know what is happening to the other one"
  • "She's usually really good, can't you let her off"
  • "I support the school and want good behaviour but..."
  • "You have been too soft on the other child"
  • "My child doesn't lie and told me he didn't"
  • "You can't punish my child when I tell him to ignore what you say."
I've been a Head of Year for many years. I have heard all of these said to me about their precious child.

Anyone admit to saying stuff like this?

:rolleyes:
Mods -SMB this ! Ive had a mare....

I did the first with my kids. I had no issue with detention as a punishment when they were being little shits. What i had an issue with was they were simply kept behind after school to sit and chat in a classroom for an hour.
Advised the head that is they were not going to be given something worthwhile, like additional work in a subject they needed to improve on for example, they were not doing it. Advised they would need to come up with a different punishment, one that actually offered some value. Even suggested additional homework as that has obvious academic benefits.
Sadly the head at Lord Lawson Comp did not have the nous to offer anything else.

I did the first with my kids. I had no issue with detention as a punishment when they were being little shits. What i had an issue with was they were simply kept behind after school to sit and chat in a classroom for an hour.
Advised the head that is they were not going to be given something worthwhile, like additional work in a subject they needed to improve on for example, they were not doing it. Advised they would need to come up with a different punishment, one that actually offered some value. Even suggested additional homework as that has obvious academic benefits.
Sadly the head at Lord Lawson Comp did not have the nous to offer anything else.
so the staff have to do extra planning and marking because your kid can’t behave themselves in lessons?
Hmmmm🤔

I told mine to headbutt them in the nose.
I’d like my kids’ school to send me a letter explaining seven things they ARE going to say to me, such as
“Yes, we’ve appointed a SENCO”
“We’ve replaced the 19 staff who’ve left”
“Our staff have all been trained on how to deal with your son’s requirements”
“Our Class Charts system is working fine now staff have been trained on how to use the f***ing thing properly”

If it's that bad, why not change it?

Isn't detention a punishment for bad behaviour? Not sure it should be a way of getting a bit extra tuition.

so the staff have to do extra planning and marking because your kid can’t behave themselves in lessons?
Hmmmm🤔

Teachers are there supervising anyway. Even if they were held back and instructed to do homework already allocated i would have been happy.

Isn't detention a punishment for bad behaviour? Not sure it should be a way of getting a bit extra tuition.

"Extra tuition" should result in better results for the kids. Better results = better OFSTED reports. Given that this appeared (at Lord Lawson anyway) to be the only thing the teachers actually cared about, win / win.

Teachers are there supervising anyway. Even if they were held back and instructed to do homework already allocated i would have been happy.
And what if he has already done his homework? Let him off?

I think the question should be why you think it’s acceptable that your kid acts themselves but you won’t follow the school behaviour policy?

that’s just saying to your kid, it’s okay if you break the rules, you can pick the punishment. See thiskind of parental behaviour all the time. Then they wonder why the kid is in bottom set and won’t get decent GCSE and A Level grades
"Extra tuition" should result in better results for the kids. Better results = better OFSTED reports. Given that this appeared (at Lord Lawson anyway) to be the only thing the teachers actually cared about, win / win.
And when do the other teaching tasks take place when extra time is given up for extra teaching for the kids who can’t behave?

Last edited:
I take your point but still not sure that you're grasping that it needs to be seen to be a form of punishment.

My daughter had her parents evening last night and the teacher said “she’s the best behaved child in the class, she has great manners and is the first to do as she’s told”

I asked why she was a little twat in the house then!

I wonder how many of the parents did have the nous ? Working with the public is bad enough. Working with their kids must be a nightmare. The teachers who are good at their job deserve a medal. I couldn't do it for more than one reason.

And what if he has already done his homework? Let him off?

I think the question should be why you think it’s acceptable that your kid acts themselves but you won’t follow the school behaviour policy?

that’s just saying to your kid, it’s okay if you break the rules, you can pick the punishment. See thiskind of parental behaviour all the time. Then they wonder why the kid is in bottom set and won’t get decent GCSE and A Level grades

And when do the other teaching tasks take place when extra time is given up for extra teaching for the kids who can’t behave?

Firstly i did not state that may kids acting up is acceptable. However kids do i am afraid.

My kids got homework most days so unlikely they would already have completed it on a given day.

Back