Settling a debate

safc1076

Is the furthest seat away from the pitch at St James’ 1/4 of a mile away? Talking to a group of mates and can’t remember where I got this fact from. Can someone help? Feel like it might just be a myth

Absolutely no where near 1/4 of a mile. The entire stadium from furthest corner to furthest corner is about 1/6th of a mile

Is the furthest seat away from the pitch at St James’ 1/4 of a mile away? Talking to a group of mates and can’t remember where I got this fact from. Can someone help? Feel like it might just be a myth

From memory that was one of the 'facts' thrown around by NUFC fans when they were expanding it or applying to expand it further.

According to a quick Google search one website (without any references) states its 200 yards from the top seats in one corner to the opposite corner flag.

That's 0.14 miles so it's an eighth of a mile.

Last edited:
This has been around for years - they used to claim that the north east end of the upper tier to the south western point was a quarter mile - they also make claims such as the roof being the largest cantilever structure in Europe (I believe OT is slightly bigger ...) and that the pitch does not slope six foot from north to south

The only fact about Sid James Park is that it is regularly attended by some of the most deluded football fans to ever grace this planet.

Absolutely no where near 1/4 of a mile. The entire stadium from furthest corner to furthest corner is about 1/6th of a mile
Probs a bit further than 1/6 mile. The pitch is minimum 100 metres so corner to corner will be around 125 then probs around 70m each corner to allow for stands etc. You won't be far off tho

Back