Settle an argument

Loved basies (baseball boots) meself - before they were expensive Converse.

Same here.

I would have loved a pair as a bairn but my rather puritanical Dad thought any sort of Americanisation was the work of the devil.

Same applied to denims, comics, bubble gum, ITV and going to the pictures on a Saturday morning - the acceptable substitute for all of these things was 'getting outside in the fresh air'.

It really was a different world back then.

Other memories -
Placky sandals that used to get mud/sand stuck in the soles - used to have to lever it out with a knife.

Wayfinder shoes that had a compass and a sole with animal markings (? vague recollection as I was too 'cool' to have those).

Georgie Best footy boots with laces that were tied at the side.

Sandshoes, the school called them plimsolls though.

Same here.

I would have loved a pair as a bairn but my rather puritanical Dad thought any sort of Americanisation was the work of the devil.

Same applied to denims, comics, bubble gum, ITV and going to the pictures on a Saturday morning - the acceptable substitute for all of these things was 'getting outside in the fresh air'.

Tbf, he got a few of those right, especially the "getting outside in the fresh air".

Same here.

Character building mate - made you into the mod you are today ;)

What did we used to call those black shoes you wore to do PE in at school?

The Midlands Inlaws called them daps or plimsolls. The Sheffield in laws called them pumps.

I remember them called summat else but can’t remwmber.
We called them sambos :oops:, think it was short for sandshoe. Remember we didn't have your own personal pair just a rack with them all in arranged by size, you just took a pair that fit and had squirt some stuff in when you took them off.

We called them sambos :oops:, think it was short for sandshoe. Remember we didn't have your own personal pair just a rack with them all in arranged by size, you just took a pair that fit and had squirt some stuff in when you took them off.
I was watching that Who Do You Think You Are the other week with Marvin Humes where one of his distant relatives was listed as a Sambo. The woman historian then explained that it was the name given to the offspring from a relationship between a mulatto (half white/half black) and a negro (black), so 3 parts black, 1 part white. She explained that there were all terms of "official" names back then to describe the various mixes of colours.

Definitely the work of the devil. We couldn’t watch it in our house.

I think it was the adverts that he thought were evidence of creeping Americanisation which he hated.

"Dangling stuff in front of people that they can't afford" or "if it was any good they wouldn't need to hawk it on telly". When he was in rant mode, logic wasn't his strong point.

Our family went from having one of the first TV's in Seaham ( got it for the Coronation) to one of the last in the country to buy the "converter" you needed to get ITV.

It was really frustrating as a kid not to join in with mates when they were talking about the latest ITV shows.

They were all singing the theme tune to Torchy the Battery Boy while I was stuck with f***ing Panorama.

And that was another thing he hated, cartoons.

Character building mate - made you into the mod you are today ;)

Aye, all bitter and twisted.

What did we used to call those black shoes you wore to do PE in at school?

The Midlands Inlaws called them daps or plimsolls. The Sheffield in laws called them pumps.

I remember them called summat else but can’t remwmber.

Plimsols or sandshoes in Berwick (Spittal School!)

Back