Settle an argument

What did we used to call those black shoes you wore to do PE in at school?

The Midlands Inlaws called them daps or plimsolls. The Sheffield in laws called them pumps.

I remember them called summat else but can’t remwmber.

Sand-shoes - Roker and Monkwearmouth

Loved basies (baseball boots) meself - before they were expensive Converse.

Got detention for turning up with a pair of Basie boots and not sandies, not in school uniform for sports.........fecking hell......:lol:

Last edited:

I remember having to have a sandshoe 'bag' at junior school which hung on the coat pegs. My Mam made mine, it was purple and white gingham material and she embroidered my name on. :)
We had a shoe bag that we kept our plimsolls in.
I had a brown one with my initials that my mum made at primary school. I made my own in red gingham check with embroidered initials at secondary school. They both hung on coat pegs. Kept house shoes in the senior school one.

Sandshoes for plimsoles.

I think some kids called them bumpers or that may have been from Sesame Street or such like.

I think that was a brand of trainer? I remember having some trainers with a really thick rubber rim round the fronts when I was in primary school. They had pictures of cars and dumper trucks on.

Senior school? :eek:
We wore them in the infants, then from juniors onwards it was normal trainers.
Not sure trainers existed when I went to school ?:oops::lol:

If they did we certainly weren't allowed to wear them. It was bare feet in the gym, socks on the trampoline and plimsolls for tennis, netball and athletics, plus hockey boots for hockey.

I think some kids called them bumpers or that may have been from Sesame Street or such like.
Bumpers was slang for Converse ankle boots.

Back