Settle an argument: the Hokey Cokey

It's a)

It may be a North v South thing in which case I'd like to point out that the third little piggy had roast beef not bread and jam, and this is a turnip not a swede

Logon or register to see this image
Third little piggy DID have roast beef but that is a swede... tell me, did you have to google Swede to get that picture?

Agree with @becs it is c) oooooooohoooooh the hokey cokey
Not in my life.

Its the 3rd little piggy had roast beef. 4th one had none not jam

It goes; went to market, stayed at home, roast beef.. then none, then on fifth one 'this little piggy went wee wee wee wee all the way home' combined with tickling
Oh that's right.... I didn't bother counting them out in my head but I just knew none of my little piggies had bread and jam

Last edited:
Both wasnt it?

"Ooooh the hockey cockey
Ooooh hockey cokey cokey
Do the hockey cokey
Arms stretched legs out rah rah rah
What in Gods name is this rubbish??
c) oooooooooooooh ooooh the hokey cokey :D

But I'll vote with A for your poll.
Ok, I’ll give you that but it doesn’t actually matter because the correct answer is obviously b) Hokey Cokey Cokey.

All the Southerns say a) or your variation of it, but it’s wrong.

Last edited:
Is it:

a). Oooooooohhhhhh do the Hokey Cokey

or

b). Oooooooohhhhhh Hokey Cokey Cokey?

and is it a North/South thing?

These things are obviously important.
Neither, it’s “Woah, the Hokey Cokey”.
official lyrics

You put your left arm in
Your left arm out
In, out, in, out
You shake it all about

You do the hokey cokey
And you turn around
That's what it's all about

Woah, the hokey cokey
Woah, the hokey cokey
Woah, the hokey cokey
Knees bent
Arms stretched
Ra-ra-ra

Last edited:
What in Gods name is this rubbish??

Ok, I’ll give you that but it doesn’t actually matter because the correct answer is obviously b) Hokey Cokey Cokey.

All the Southerns say a) or your variation of it, but it’s wrong.
In Ireland it is the Hokey Pokey but still oooooohooooh the Hokey Pokey

I have done some research... in 1827 the lyrics were:
Fal de ral la, fal de ral la:
Hinkumbooby, round about;
Right hands in, and left hands out,
Fal de ral la, fal de ral la.

70 years later in Scotland:

Hilli ballu ballai!
Hilli ballu ballight!
Hilli ballu ballai!
Upon a Saturday night.
Put all your right feet out,
Put all your left feet in,
Turn them a little, a little,
And turn yourselves about

At the same time in Sheffield:

Can you dance looby, looby,
All on a Friday night?
You put your right foot in;
And then you take it out,
And wag it, and wag it, and wag it,
Then turn and turn about

Origins of the Irish version:
"The Hokey Pokey", supposedly came from an ice cream vendor whom Tabor had heard as a boy, calling out, "Hokey pokey penny a lump. Have a lick make you jump"

Ooooh
Controversy
In 2008, an Anglican cleric, Canon Matthew Damon, Provost of Wakefield Cathedral, West Yorkshire, claimed that the dance movements were a parody of the traditional Catholic Latin Mass.[9] Up until the reforms of Vatican II, the priest performed his movements facing the altar rather than the congregation, who could not hear the words very well, nor understand the Latin, nor clearly see his movements. At one point the priest would say "Hoc est corpus meum" meaning "This is My body". That theory led Scottish politician Michael Matheson in 2008 to urge police action "against individuals who use it [the song and dance] to taunt Catholics". Matheson's claim was deemed ridiculous by fans from both sides of the Old Firm (the rival Glasgow football teams Celtic and Rangers) and calls were made on fans' forums for both sides to join together to sing the song on 27 December 2008 at Ibrox Stadium.

This could be where you get your "Northern remix"... Sheet music copyrighted in 1942 and published by Campbell Connelly & Co Ltd, agents for Kennedy Music Co Ltd, styles the song as "the Cokey Cokey"

Each instruction set is followed by a chorus, entirely different from other parts of the world. There is either a caller, within or outside the group, or the instructions are called by the whole group – which can add to confusion and is laughed off as part of the dance's charm and amusement.

Whoa, the hokey cokey
Whoa, the hokey cokey
Whoa, the hokey cokey
Knees bend, arms stretch,
Rah, rah, rah!

The first three lines of this chorus are sometimes rendered 'Whoa, the hokey cokey', with the 'whoa' lasting three beats instead of two. It can also be said "Whoa, the hokey cokey cokey".

Neither, it’s “Woah, the Hokey Cokey”.
official lyrics

You put your left arm in
Your left arm out
In, out, in, out
You shake it all about

You do the hokey cokey
And you turn around
That's what it's all about

Woah, the hokey cokey
Woah, the hokey cokey
Woah, the hokey cokey
Knees bent
Arms stretched
Ra-ra-ra
That’s wrong. There are no “official lyrics” for the Hokey Cokey man. That’s just what some southerner has written on the Internet.

In Ireland it is the Hokey Pokey but still oooooohooooh the Hokey Pokey

I have done some research... in 1827 the lyrics were:
Fal de ral la, fal de ral la:
Right hands in, and left hands out,
Fal de ral la, fal de ral la.

70 years later in Scotland:

Hilli ballu ballai!
Hilli ballu ballight!
Hilli ballu ballai!
Upon a Saturday night.
Put all your right feet out,
Put all your left feet in,
Turn them a little, a little,
And turn yourselves about

At the same time in Sheffield:

All on a Friday night?
You put your right foot in;
And then you take it out,
And wag it, and wag it, and wag it,
Then turn and turn about

Origins of the Irish version:
"The Hokey Pokey", supposedly came from an ice cream vendor whom Tabor had heard as a boy, calling out, "Hokey pokey penny a lump. Have a lick make you jump"

Ooooh
Controversy
In 2008, an Anglican cleric, Canon Matthew Damon, Provost of Wakefield Cathedral, West Yorkshire, claimed that the dance movements were a parody of the traditional Catholic Latin Mass.[9] Up until the reforms of Vatican II, the priest performed his movements facing the altar rather than the congregation, who could not hear the words very well, nor understand the Latin, nor clearly see his movements. At one point the priest would say "Hoc est corpus meum" meaning "This is My body". That theory led Scottish politician Michael Matheson in 2008 to urge police action "against individuals who use it [the song and dance] to taunt Catholics". Matheson's claim was deemed ridiculous by fans from both sides of the Old Firm (the rival Glasgow football teams Celtic and Rangers) and calls were made on fans' forums for both sides to join together to sing the song on 27 December 2008 at Ibrox Stadium.

This could be where you get your "Northern remix"... Sheet music copyrighted in 1942 and published by Campbell Connelly & Co Ltd, agents for Kennedy Music Co Ltd, styles the song as "the Cokey Cokey"

Each instruction set is followed by a chorus, entirely different from other parts of the world. There is either a caller, within or outside the group, or the instructions are called by the whole group – which can add to confusion and is laughed off as part of the dance's charm and amusement.

Whoa, the hokey cokey
Whoa, the hokey cokey
Whoa, the hokey cokey
Knees bend, arms stretch,
Rah, rah, rah!

The first three lines of this chorus are sometimes rendered 'Whoa, the hokey cokey', with the 'whoa' lasting three beats instead of two. It can also be said "Whoa, the hokey cokey cokey".
That’s fascinating! Love the thought that it’s a Mistranslation of Latin and what people assumed a priest was doing!!

(Although the last line: it’s “whoa, Hokey Cokey Cokey”. There’s no “the” in it)

Back