Setting up a Public Limited Company

How so? I've admitted I don't know what I'm doing and am asking for advice.
Asking for advice on the Friday before the contract begins on Monday, questioning whether PLI is required, no payment terms agreed all smack of a little bit of flying by the seat of your pants. As I said though, go for it. Setting up on my own remains to this day the best thing I ever did, and kept me off the streets for many a year.

Asking for advice on the Friday before the contract begins on Monday, questioning whether PLI is required, no payment terms agreed all smack of a little bit of flying by the seat of your pants. As I said though, go for it. Setting up on my own remains to this day the best thing I ever did, and kept me off the streets for many a year.

I only got the contract confirmed yesterday. The recruitment agency who have placed me said I can let them know next week whether or not I want to get paid via an umbrella or Ltd company.

Don't worry I won't ask again.

I only got the contract confirmed yesterday. The recruitment agency who have placed me said I can let them know next week whether or not I want to get paid via an umbrella or Ltd company.

Don't worry I won't ask again.
Look at the total package of services the umbrella company are providing, weigh up what is needed, and how much it would likely cost you to get similar, including getting VAT registered (assuming you're likely to be earning over the VAT threshold in the upcoming period), letterheads drawn up with company number and VAT number, PLI, etc. then decide which way you want to go.

As I said, for expediency, I'd start off with the umbrella company, work out what is needed, what isn't, take time to get everything in place and take the hit for the initial 2 months whilst looking for the next contract so everything is in place ready for then.

Agree with FH, at this notice go with umbrella. After a few weeks decide if you want to go ltd long term, if so start setting everything up ready, then transfer if possible.

Look at the total package of services the umbrella company are providing, weigh up what is needed, and how much it would likely cost you to get similar, including getting VAT registered (assuming you're likely to be earning over the VAT threshold in the upcoming period), letterheads drawn up with company number and VAT number, PLI, etc. then decide which way you want to go.

As I said, for expediency, I'd start off with the umbrella company, work out what is needed, what isn't, take time to get everything in place and take the hit for the initial 2 months whilst looking for the next contract so everything is in place ready for then.

What Flicky said. Takes ages for the VAT registration to come through if you’re thinking about it long term

Back