SETI

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But is the budget better off going into something else? London mackem knows
You'd have to ask the donors, it's mostly funded by the public

So who funds the SETI search now?
Current SETI searches are funded by donations, mostly from individuals among the public and a few foundations and corporations. Major donors have included William Hewlett, David Packard, Gordon Moore, Paul Allen, Nathan Myhrvold, Arthur C. Clarke, Barney Oliver, and Franklin Antonio.

From https://www.seti.org/faq#obs7

You'd have to ask the donors, it's mostly funded by the public

From https://www.seti.org/faq#obs7
Current SETI searches are funded by donations, mostly from individuals among the public and a few foundations and corporations

I don't believe it!
That's because the Aliens are already here. Isnt it funny how aliens and ufo's are never in the mainstream media? That's just another bit of evidence Aliens are a national security affair.

Isnt it funny how aliens and ufo's are never in the mainstream media? That's just another bit of evidence Aliens are a national security affair.
It's funny how there were loads of grainy UFO videos through the 90s but despite us all having HD video cameras in our pockets and the ability to share our videos via YouTube and other social media platforms there's pretty much fuck all.

It's as if it was all bollocks in the first place.

It's funny how there were loads of grainy UFO videos through the 90s but despite us all having HD video cameras in our pockets and the ability to share our videos via YouTube and other social media platforms there's pretty much fuck all.

It's as if it was all bollocks in the first place.
Bold wrong there is over whelming evidence.

You are evidence of intelligent things living in the universe, believe me when I say the aliens are here.

If aliens did visit earth it would be a matter of national security.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of like of the idea of it, but I think I'd probably prefer if we had a "space force" capable of defending our planet from alien attack before we started announcing our position.

I kind of like of the idea of it, but I think I'd probably prefer if we had a "space force" capable of defending our planet from alien attack before we started announcing our position.
Money well spent ^

The sooner we get off this ever more miserable rock the better.

You are evidence of intelligent things living in the universe, believe me when I say the aliens are here.

If aliens did visit earth it would be a matter of national security.
As I've already said the scale of the universe makes it silly to think that there isn't life out there.

The same scale makes it silly to think they'd know we were here, or that they were capable of a visit if they did.

We've sent all kinds of signals out. The scale of the universe means that it could take hundreds or even thousands of years for intelligent life receive something. If they happened to understand the source was an intelligent lifeform, and were actually capable of simply sending a message back, it's not unlikely we would all be dead by the time it reached us.

Current SETI searches are funded by donations, mostly from individuals among the public and a few foundations and corporations

I don't believe it!
That's because the Aliens are already here. Isnt it funny how aliens and ufo's are never in the mainstream media? That's just another bit of evidence Aliens are a national security affair.
Neither are pixies,elves and hob goblins
Strange that

We've sent all kinds of signals out. The scale of the universe means that it could take hundreds or even thousands of years for intelligent life receive something. If they happened to understand the source was an intelligent lifeform, and were actually capable of simply sending a message back, it's not unlikely we would all be dead by the time it reached us.

We have only really been able to send signals for 100 years. Estimates say there are 14,600 stars within that radius, but only 512 of which are G class stars - like our sun, and the most likely to support life (based on our limited view of how and where life can exist). There are only 34 within 50 years. The best case scenario is that we sent a signal and it was detected 50 years ago by one of those 34 planets who were sufficiently advanced that they could hear it and happened to be looking in the right direction at the time. They then replied and the reply will be reaching us just now and with some luck we will be looking in the right direction at the right time too.

The odds of them finding something are so unbelievably low, but if people want to spend their time and money on this then why not? If they find nothing then it appears to be a waste. However if they do find anything, it will probably be the most important discovery in the history of humankind.

I do chuckle at people who think any research into space is a waste of money and will never benefit the people, while posting on a internet message board, probably from a mobile device. It is hard to imagine the world today without satellites.

We have only really been able to send signals for 100 years. Estimates say there are 14,600 stars within that radius, but only 512 of which are G class stars - like our sun, and the most likely to support life (based on our limited view of how and where life can exist). There are only 34 within 50 years. The best case scenario is that we sent a signal and it was detected 50 years ago by one of those 34 planets who were sufficiently advanced that they could hear it and happened to be looking in the right direction at the time. They then replied and the reply will be reaching us just now and with some luck we will be looking in the right direction at the right time too.

The odds of them finding something are so unbelievably low, but if people want to spend their time and money on this then why not? If they find nothing then it appears to be a waste. However if they do find anything, it will probably be the most important discovery in the history of humankind.

I do chuckle at people who think any research into space is a waste of money and will never benefit the people, while posting on a internet message board, probably from a mobile device. It is hard to imagine the world today without satellites.
Okay, have I got this right:

-There are 34 stars within 50 (light?) years that could be capable of supporting life as we know it.

Do we know how many of those stars have planets within the circumstellar habitable zone (Goldilocks range)? As far is I'm aware that simply means that a planet has an sufficient atmospheric pressure that it could have liquid water, not even that it definitely does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back