Set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
While I don't believe Moyes is anywhere near the main reason we're in our current predicament, there's one thing I can't forgive him for: our appalling set pieces. He's been here long enough to get these right.

Every time we win a freekick it's just delaying us giving the ball away. You can almost set your watch by it; Referee blows his whistle, Larsson and PVA pretend to pretend they don't know what they're doing... free kick taken... straight on to an opposition player's head or foot.

These were the things that Sam had us organised for. I can't remember our scoring rate with our attacking free kicks/corner but we certainly looked more a of a threat than we do now. These are things that can be practised over and over again until we get it right.

The quality of the crosses going in a terrible as well. Larsson, Januzaj and co. have absolutely no excuse to get these wrong as much as they do. Isn't this what they're supposed to be good at, yet the amount of times we don't even get it past the first man is embarrassing.

For teams at the bottom, a freekick/corner should be a life-line. They should be rehearsed and perfected until we know what we're doing and we might even get a goal now and then from them.

Kone and Papi would be the first two names to come up for corners and free kicks if Big Sam were here, under Moyes aren't they more inclined to stay back?

It's the constant, horrible short corners I'm more concerned about.

They never, ever work for us because we give it back to the player who was taking the corner in the first place who, more often than not, is on the wrong foot so needs to go back inside and crosses it onto the head of a defender.

There were even some corners (against Liverpool I think) where Djilibodji was staying back. He's the tallest in our f***ing team at the minute!!

When defending a corner we put everyone in the box, it's complete madness as it means if we do clear th ball it comes straight back at us as there is no one to clear to, most teams this season have left at least 3 players out of our box when attacking a corner, we have players who mark no one, so it's pointless, put Defoe on the halfway line and someone just outside the 18 yard line and we would be better placed to counter attack from defending a corner

That corner in the second half on Saturday where we dragged both CBs forward and then Larsson pinged a ball into Jones who was still running with a man on him had me foaming. f***ing pathetic

When defending a corner we put everyone in the box, it's complete madness as it means if we do clear th ball it comes straight back at us as there is no one to clear to, most teams this season have left at least 3 players out of our box when attacking a corner, we have players who mark no one, so it's pointless, put Defoe on the halfway line and someone just outside the 18 yard line and we would be better placed to counter attack from defending a corner
Mick Mac did this also,was f***ing stupid then and is still f***ing stupid now

Mick Mac did this also,was f***ing stupid then and is still f***ing stupid now

Everyone has done it, Sam did it, MoN did it and plenty of others. Quite a lot of clubs do it

That corner in the second half on Saturday where we dragged both CBs forward and then Larsson pinged a ball into Jones who was still running with a man on him had me foaming. f***ing pathetic

It is bizarre at times but when we do put decent balls into the box and despite what is claimed on here we do, we have no-one who can attack the ball bar Rodwell and Kone. It's piss easy for the opposition to win the ball against our players, it's why we are shit at defending set peices as well

Last edited:
:lol:
It's like they haven't got a brain cell between them!

Exactly,it's just f***ing thick players! Moyes isn't blameless for this season's malaise,but he can't be blamed for players' seeming inability to cross a ball into the box with a certain degree of accuracy,just to get it over the first man and into a designated area. Some of the things they do are embarrassingly brainless and inevitably very,very poor. Experienced players like Larsson have no excuse.

Exactly,it's just f***ing thick players! Moyes isn't blameless for this season's malaise,but he can't be blamed for players' seeming inability to cross a ball into the box with a certain degree of accuracy,just to get it over the first man and into a designated area. Some of the things they do are embarrassingly brainless and inevitably very,very poor. Experienced players like Larsson have no excuse.

Totally! Everyone goes on about quality, but these lot don't even possess common sense!

Agree we pose little goal threat from our set pieces, but this level of incompetence is matched in our defending of corners etc.

Everyone has done it, Sam did it, MoN did it and plenty of others. Quite a lot of clubs do it

It is bizarre at times but when we do put decent balls into the box and despite what is claimed on here we do, we have no-one who can attack the ball bar Rodwell and Kone. It's piss easy for the opposition to win the ball against our players, it's why we are shit at defending set peices as well
I will rephrase it. It is stupid when the players can't defend so we would be better served getting as many as possible out the box so they don't tackle or trip over each other

It's the constant, horrible short corners I'm more concerned about.

They never, ever work for us because we give it back to the player who was taking the corner in the first place who, more often than not, is on the wrong foot so needs to go back inside and crosses it onto the head of a defender.

There were even some corners (against Liverpool I think) where Djilibodji was staying back. He's the tallest in our f***ing team at the minute!!
I've only seen one work and that was when Fletcher scored a header against Newcastle when we won 2-1 under Poyet.

I will rephrase it. It is stupid when the players can't defend so we would be better served getting as many as possible out the box so they don't tackle or trip over each other

Nonsense, all that would do is give free reign for the opposition players to run around the open spaces in the box and get a good jump to head the ball. We'd be much worse off as a result.

as piss poor as our free kick takers are..... i think they tend to buckle under the pressure as its probably our best opportunity to score, as we rarely threaten the goals and don't have midfielders with the ability to create more than one chance a game from open play.

Good post.

It's shameful that a professional footballer can't put a ball within a couple of inches of where he wants it from a set piece.

Particulatly given our situation I'd expect players to stay back in training to practice. Put my house on it they don't.

I almost understand missing passes in open play, when under pressure and adrenalin pumping. But not from a dead ball. I guarantee I could do better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back