Servicing/fixing your own car

just for dougy
https://pagid.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/TMD1331-Block-Exemption-Sheet.pdf

i couldn't be arsed to clart about with modern cars, look under the bonnet and it's just a mass of plastic and covers.

i love tinkering and fettling my bikes though. got a couple of harleys and an old triumph bonnie i've had for the neck end of 30 years. i know every nut and bolt on that thing. servicing and working on bikes is different and a great way to learn as well as spotting stuff that might go wrong early.
yip, you cannot beat a bit of preventive maintenance.

This thread is why I get the bus.
bus wanker.

Last edited:

I’m gonna have a go at changing my break pads. Will I need to buy a torque wrench for the lock nuts on the wheels?
I have a torque wrench I’ve never used :) you’re more than welcome to borrow it

Wheels I don’t think so though, ive never used one for wheels. I am far from an expert at this though

Last edited:
I have a torque wrench I’ve never used :) you’re more than welcome to borrow it

Wheels I don’t think so though, ive never used one for wheels. I am far from an expert at this though
Nice one mate, I’ll bear it in mind! I seen them use one after I had a new tyre fitted that’s all.

Not quite true. For rear brakes in modern cars you need a diagnostic tool to wind the calipers back.

Mines 2010 astra and it does not need a diagnostics. Elec handbrake goes into service mode so you can unhook it from the calipers. Calipers off and manually wind them back.
Ive changed springs, discs and pads and service it myself.
Changed my rocker cover gasket few weeks ago

I have a company car so don't have to. I suppose I could do the wife's (no) but I work hard enough during the week so am happy enough to pay someone else to do it. They get paid employment and I get my time off. I did replace the brushes on our washing machine recently so I don't mind having a go.

I’m gonna have a go at changing my break pads. Will I need to buy a torque wrench for the lock nuts on the wheels?

No, just tighten them diagonally.
Back brakes usually require a wind back tool, that several people have mentioned, apologies if your already aware.
Best of luck, I find it’s hit and miss, just allow loads of time.

What i do find a little strange is that I only had my MOT in May and there was no mention of the brakes being worn, yet 6 weeks later and the calliper is rubbing the hub when I brake, cos there’s only about 5mm left on them. Do they not advise on that anymore?

No, just tighten them diagonally.
Back brakes usually require a wind back tool, that several people have mentioned, apologies if your already aware.
Best of luck, I find it’s hit and miss, just allow loads of time.
No mate, I wasn’t aware cheers! It’s a 4 motion so I don’t know if that will make any difference? Probs got another couple of month yet on them so plenty time to look into it.

What i do find a little strange is that I only had my MOT in May and there was no mention of the brakes being worn, yet 6 weeks later and the calliper is rubbing the hub when I brake, cos there’s only about 5mm left on them. Do they not advise on that anymore?

yes, i got an advisory on mine on Saturday for the front pads needing changing in the next few hundred miles. I fully expected that since they've done 50k.

Aye they’ll advise if they’re low and I would’ve done at 5mm but someone else may not have done.

Or it could be a sign of a bigger problem like a seized calliper.

Sometimes it is hard to see the pads propley unless the wheel is off. Probley missed it.

Wheels nuts should be tightened to the correct torque although I suspect very few garages bother.

Which Magazine did a garage survey a few years back - main dealers, national chains and independents and I think only 2 out of 20 cars were correct. They observed that although some did indeed use a torque wrench a lot of wheels were still over tightened, either by using the wrong settings or incorrect use of the wrench.

I know of one local garage where they still use a spider and a big rubber mallet.

Under tightening risks a wheel coming off.
Over tightening, particularly repeatedly, can damage road wheels, wheel studs, wheel nuts and brake discs.

I've serviced cars where the wheel nuts have been that tight they would have been impossible to loosen with the oe wheel brace in the event of a puncture.

If you are working on your car regularly then buy a torque wrench. If just the odd job then borrow from a mate.

I'm a real hoot at parties.

Sometimes it is hard to see the pads propley unless the wheel is off. Probley missed it.

Is the correct answer.

Still do oil and filter changes, brake pads, spark plugs and running repairs where I can. Different these days due to the diagnostics. Would attempt almost anything back in the 70's and 80's.

Can't even put a new battery on a car these days as the fuckers have to be programmed in :lol:

I just discovered that last winter - couldn't believe it.

Wheels nuts should be tightened to the correct torque although I suspect very few garages bother.

Which Magazine did a garage survey a few years back - main dealers, national chains and independents and I think only 2 out of 20 cars were correct. They observed that although some did indeed use a torque wrench a lot of wheels were still over tightened, either by using the wrong settings or incorrect use of the wrench.

I know of one local garage where they still use a spider and a big rubber mallet.

Under tightening risks a wheel coming off.
Over tightening, particularly repeatedly, can damage road wheels, wheel studs, wheel nuts and brake discs.

I've serviced cars where the wheel nuts have been that tight they would have been impossible to loosen with the oe wheel brace in the event of a puncture.

If you are working on your car regularly then buy a torque wrench. If just the odd job then borrow from a mate.

I'm a real hoot at parties.

Is the correct answer.
Cheers mate

Back