Servicing/fixing your own car

Yes that's correct. But the dealers are a law unto themselves and if you don't use their bits they make it awkward for the warranty. They get away with murder. It's a shame lots of garages don't have our lawyers and expertise.

What the fuck are people doing putting shit filters in new cars I always tell any apprentice you must must must use main dealer filters on car's under warranty under no exception.
So you're making stuff up ?
Fair do
Only the odd thicko in a dealers isn't up to speed with block exemption

Yes that's correct. But the dealers are a law unto themselves and if you don't use their bits they make it awkward for the warranty. They get away with murder. It's a shame lots of garages don't have our lawyers and expertise.

What the fuck are people doing putting shit filters in new cars I always tell any apprentice you must must must use main dealer filters on car's under warranty.
Where do you work Douglas?

Why anyone wants to come on this board and pretend to be an expert when they clearly have no idea what they're talking about is beyond me.

This board is full of posters from various walks of life with a wide range of experience and knowledge. Pretending to know something that you're clearly clueless about is just idiotic. Sorry, but your own fault if you're getting bitch-slapped around on a thread.

We're lucky that our clientele (the good regulars) aren't bothered about cheap. Some new people might be but even then most people who phone are happy to pay for a good job.

They do drive volvos though. I’d rather not have any brake pads and hope the resulting crash is high enough speed to put me out of my misery.

What the fuck are people doing putting shit filters in new cars I always tell any apprentice you must must must use main dealer filters on car's under warranty.
You're digging a very big hole for yourself here mind . You firstly state dealers will null the warranty, then say some make it awkward. Awkward I couldn't give a fuck about. I doubt many people can be as awkward as me on the wrong day knowing im right anyway. What's it to be? Do have to get your car serviced at the dealers to maintain warranty or not?
If you would like a little time to mull over your response and actually ask someone who knows in your workplace then fine.
In the meantime, I'll have a nice cup of tea thanks.No sugar.

Last edited:
I used to check my oil after a service to see it they done it, but on diesels it’s always dirty even after it’s been changed.
Paid £130 for a minor service on a ford 2.0 diesel recently, got told £220 for a major service next year.

I use eurocar parts, enter the car reg and it brings up the correct parts required.
Not boshed about warranty though as it’s an 8 year old Aygo.

You're digging a very big hole for yourself here mind . You firstly state dealers will null the warranty, then say some make it awkward. Awkward I couldn't give a fuck about. I doubt many people can be as awkward as me on the wrong day knowing im right anyway. What's it to be? Do have to get your car serviced at the dealers to maintain warranty or not?
If you would like a little time to mull over your response and actually ask someone who knows in your workplace then fine.
In the meantime, I'll have a nice cup of tea thanks.No sugar.
I've given him a break from this thread for repeatedly talking shite. (technical term)

Do most of my own servicing.

Got all the diagnostics off eBay, just plug the lap top in and sorted. Does the brake wind back thing too.

Use local garage for bigger jobs like clutch and timing belts.

Bought the Haynes manual when I had my last car. Changed the oil once, decided it was a right clart on and sacked it off to the independent garage round the corner.

I had an old Corsa I tinkered about with and a Fiat Stilo I fixed a couple of things on before I shifted. Didn't mind it with them, they were worth next to nowt if I fucked them up.

My mate's a mechanic and he's had me in the garage to have a look while he's serviced and fixed my stuff. I enjoy going in, he'll explain plenty and you do pick stuff up just watching it being done.

Does anyone still do this, like people used to do in the olden days? Seems to have become a forgotten art. Everyone just takes their car to a garage for the slightest thing now, when a lot of stuff you can fix yourself for a fraction of the cost.
I’ve just bought a set of brake pads for £15, should only take half an hour to fit.
Replaced blocked washer jets for about a fiver.
A full set of filters and a change of oil is less than £50.
You don’t even need to know what to do anymore, it’s all on YouTube.
All the time mate. Not on my car though just the families.

Still do oil and filter changes, brake pads, spark plugs and running repairs where I can. Different these days due to the diagnostics. Would attempt almost anything back in the 70's and 80's.

Can't even put a new battery on a car these days as the fuckers have to be programmed in :lol:
I’m gonna have a go at changing my break pads. Will I need to buy a torque wrench for the lock nuts on the wheels?

just for dougy
https://pagid.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/TMD1331-Block-Exemption-Sheet.pdf

i couldn't be arsed to clart about with modern cars, look under the bonnet and it's just a mass of plastic and covers.

i love tinkering and fettling my bikes though. got a couple of harleys and an old triumph bonnie i've had for the neck end of 30 years. i know every nut and bolt on that thing. servicing and working on bikes is different and a great way to learn as well as spotting stuff that might go wrong early.

Back