Serious Incident In Glasgow

And in interpreting when that time has arrived, the Police Officer has to make an often split second judgment. People will always criticise their decision if it’s to use lethal force. They know this. They know they’ll face a thorough examination of what they did and why. They know they could end up in jail. Alternatively, they could end up dead. Knife wielding people saying “bring it on” to any police officer, should be aware that they are making the officer make that decision. If they end up dead, it’s their fault for putting the officer into that situation in the first place.
BBC reporting that a taser was used first, then when that didn't stop him they escalated

Fair enough, so much for the pin him in with dustbin lids shite we heard on here

Yeah I think I would have criticised if they'd done that. The situation didn't call for shooting. He stopped robbing people once the two cops showed up and the public steered well clear of him as you can imagine. He didn't rush towards the cops on the attack - it was more like he was on the defensive and trying to stop them from arresting him.

As it goes, they didn't have any guns anyway (as far as I could see anyway) so didn't have the option of shooting him in any case. If he had charged the first two, I suppose they would have had to deal with it in some other way according to their training.

The most memorable part of it was when he put the knife on the floor when they were first approaching. You saw the cops glance at each other and think "oh nice easy one" and then their expressions change when he popped all the buttons on his shirt and then grabbed the knife again.

Have i missed something? Is there a video of the shooting in the hotel? What is this video of someone robbing someone.

What training do you think that is? Cops dont get special forces training. They would have to use what they have to hand. In the case of a knife pava is an irritant and not an incapacitant so the danger still remains with pava. Best is for asp strike.
What they do tell you in training however is for this type of training... its a shit day and expect to get either slashed or stabbed at least once but keep swinging and try to get away.

Have i missed something? Is there a video of the shooting in the hotel? What is this video of someone robbing someone.

What training do you think that is? Cops dont get special forces training. They would have to use what they have to hand. In the case of a knife pava is an irritant and not an incapacitant so the danger still remains with pava. Best is for asp strike.
What they do tell you in training however is for this type of training... its a shit day and expect to get either slashed or stabbed at least once but keep swinging and try to get away.

Surely cops get trained in what to do if someone comes at them with a weapon?

Surely cops get trained in what to do if someone comes at them with a weapon?

What do you think they can do other than swing a stick wildly? They're not trained in some special forces moves to disarm someone. Taser is usually the best option however this can depend onnthe behaviour of the subject. Given the subject has stabbed mulitple people firearms authority is almost a given. If this fella has came at them taser is less likely to work given its a moving target. Cops need to be sure in that situation as they have a right to go home to their families and ultimately stop him killing anyone else. Its just a strange comment and subject to comment on without any knowledge of police training

What do you think they can do other than swing a stick wildly? They're not trained in some special forces moves to disarm someone. Taser is usually the best option however this can depend onnthe behaviour of the subject. Given the subject has stabbed mulitple people firearms authority is almost a given. If this fella has came at them taser is less likely to work given its a moving target. Cops need to be sure in that situation as they have a right to go home to their families and ultimately stop him killing anyone else. Its just a strange comment and subject to comment on without any knowledge of police training

Tasers were fairly recent additions to the cops armoury though aren't they, whereas knives and stabby things have been around since the cavemen. What did they tell the cops to do before tasers? Surely they must have had something more than swing your stick wildly. How about 'whack him on the elbow' so he drops it or advice about him concentrating too much on his knife hand so feint one way and then cosh him on the other. Or even just 'run away' would be better advice than swing your stick wildly.

As it goes, I DO know something about police training because my daughter was dating a lad for 3 years who joined the cops. He didn't say that much about it, but then he was always a bit quiet and reticent anyway. I think he was intimidated in our house because it was different. Anyway, she dumped him now for being dull, tedious and too Tory. Didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't dance, didn't like 'spicy' food (which included even onions) and took her out to places like garden centres. The girl is 19.

Anyway, now I just have to hope I don't come across him in a professional capacity, otherwise I'll no doubt be writhing about on the pavement with taser wires hanging out of all parts....

Tasers were fairly recent additions to the cops armoury though aren't they, whereas knives and stabby things have been around since the cavemen. What did they tell the cops to do before tasers? Surely they must have had something more than swing your stick wildly. How about 'whack him on the elbow' so he drops it or advice about him concentrating too much on his knife hand so feint one way and then cosh him on the other. Or even just 'run away' would be better advice than swing your stick wildly.

As it goes, I DO know something about police training because my daughter was dating a lad for 3 years who joined the cops. He didn't say that much about it, but then he was always a bit quiet and reticent anyway. I think he was intimidated in our house because it was different. Anyway, she dumped him now for being dull, tedious and too Tory. Didn't smoke, didn't drink, didn't dance, didn't like 'spicy' food (which included even onions) and took her out to places like garden centres. The girl is 19.

Anyway, now I just have to hope I don't come across him in a professional capacity, otherwise I'll no doubt be writhing about on the pavement with taser wires hanging out of all parts....

I dont know where to start...

Cracking story there Marra.

Back