September Voting Thread - Controlled Light

Challenge winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Im not saying totally get rid, just make people vote before they can read other comments.

You have to be there to comment tho, look at smokers comment about not hitting the theme, almost every entry did, I know its still upto the voter to choose but I feel comments should be blocked till you vote.
Mate I feel you're taking this too seriously :lol:

Amnorra for me - inventive and moody, and hit the theme well.

First time in a long time I haven't entered - due to having nothing decent to enter! So well done to all who did for what was a difficult theme I think.

I think the very few entries reflect the nature of the challenge this month. As for voting, I'm looking for something interesting to do with the light, not just a standard block light/point light at something and click.

Son of Rex - Weird, taken this month ?

Not even this year. Wheres the rules like? :)

Not a weird photo though, surely?

All, just my subjective take on the pics. Feel free to tell me where to get off. :lol:

tom tom macute - canny take on controlling the light. Maybe a bit more adventurous with the composition? Camera behind the screen? Maybe behind you?

neiluk1985 - controlled the light ok, fill flash has lit the subjects well. The composition is a bit off for me. The horizon and sun is a bit too in the middle; the sun is coming out the top of the second lasses head.

Son of Rex good picture, lens hood and polarizer? Clutching at straws to control the light :)

peachbum Good take on controlling the light. You got the high key look you were after. For me, (and this is just a subjective opinion) it needs a bit of contrast, something dark works well in hi-key shots.

Amnorrageordie Good take, and class interpretation of the theme. Looks very 'film noir' vote

clyde Masterful lightpainting. Light controlled. Played right into your hands this challenge like. vote

uaeexile controlled the light. Like the way the level of the vodka in the bottle makes a line and follows the lights. The bottle could do with being a bit sharper for me.

madmackem canny abstract, but I would have been tempted to include all of the thingy at the top left corner. Light controlled ok with the torch.

not spavin well spotted shot, but the subject is a bit too central for (subjective) for taste. By your own admission, the light control is minimal too.

All, just my subjective take on the pics. Feel free to tell me where to get off. :lol:

tom tom macute - canny take on controlling the light. Maybe a bit more adventurous with the composition? Camera behind the screen? Maybe behind you?

neiluk1985 - controlled the light ok, fill flash has lit the subjects well. The composition is a bit off for me. The horizon and sun is a bit too in the middle; the sun is coming out the top of the second lasses head.

Son of Rex good picture, lens hood and polarizer? Clutching at straws to control the light :)

peachbum Good take on controlling the light. You got the high key look you were after. For me, (and this is just a subjective opinion) it needs a bit of contrast, something dark works well in hi-key shots.

Amnorrageordie Good take, and class interpretation of the theme. Looks very 'film noir' vote

clyde Masterful lightpainting. Light controlled. Played right into your hands this challenge like. vote

uaeexile controlled the light. Like the way the level of the vodka in the bottle makes a line and follows the lights. The bottle could do with being a bit sharper for me.

madmackem canny abstract, but I would have been tempted to include all of the thingy at the top left corner. Light controlled ok with the torch.

not spavin well spotted shot, but the subject is a bit too central for (subjective) for taste. By your own admission, the light control is minimal too.
Fair comment for mine like IHBB, That's with a touch of sharpening in PP too. It was one of those where you shoot it in the dark and it looks clear on a small screen.

Still liked taking it and gave me a taste of actually setting something up. most of the time I just shoot whats in front of me.

UaeExile said:
Fair comment for mine like IHBB, That's with a touch of sharpening in PP too. It was one of those where you shoot it in the dark and it looks clear on a small screen.

Still liked taking it and gave me a taste of actually setting something up. most of the time I just shoot whats in front of me.

I know what you mean. It's a different game when you're creating something, whether it be light painting or still life stuff. Totally different from documenting what's already there.

/snip

/snip

thanks for the feedback mate. I'm not really in to taking portrait shots but it's always worth experimenting. the shot wasn't posed like so just had to be quick! :)

I voted for yours mate, thought it responded to the brief well (IMO) and was really impressed with the colours.

Reasons for my votes.

I thought AB22 made it a very easy theme this month giving us many options on how to control the light and I think everybody met the task. What I did think though was that some photos were so dedicated to meeting the task that other things were forgotten, like producing a pleasing final image, composition etc, so as everybody met the task I have judged the final photograph. As ever this is in good faith, good humour and not a lot of knowledge but just an enjoyment of the competition and photography and art.

Not Spavin - like the golden colour of the water but the picture is a bit bland otherwise.

IH BaitBox - I have looked at this picture a lot, it has held my attention and even brought back memories of pools I used to swim in. Was there any tweaking after the photo was taken? VOTE

TomTomMacute - Did you set a timer and run into the picture or did you have a willing model? I would have cropped this picture a lot as the man's face is lit up nicely but there is too large an area, especially to the left (but also to the top and right) which holds not a lot of interest to the viewer.

Neil1985 - I love the colours in this picture. The reason it doesn't get a vote is the positions of the girls, and especially the girl on the right looks very uncomfortable - look at her feet. There is also an unsightly plastic (?) bag at the bottom (and also a green spot/flare between the two girls) - The sun looks a bit strange where it has flared (?) above of the left hand girl's head too.

Mine - I quite like it, but find the background white a bit cold and would perhaps use a different colour next time. Same amount of votes as Rex's disallowed picture :oops::lol:

Amnorrageordie - Like the idea but in the end I find I am not looking at either the shadow or the wall. Needed a less cluttered wall for it to work better imo.

Clyde - Looks like you went to a lot of work for your photograph. The composition is a bit of a let down for me though.

UAE - Favourite of the month. The vodka level is sloping :). It is a little blurry but that might be the camera, don't know and we aren't meant to judge on equipment. A colourful and well composed picture, and bokeh doesn't have to be confined to a bokeh theme. I think it is quite nice to see skills we (may) have learned shown in different months competition. VOTE

MaDmAcKeM - I like everything about this photograph except that it is blurry. I like the frame, the idea, the positions, the colours. I'm going to vote for it anyway (maybe it is meant to be blurry?)
VOTE

Thanks for the take.

Last edited:

peachbum - s'ok, just a bit standard.

Thanks for the takes.

Last edited:
Reasons for my votes.

UAE - Favourite of the month. The vodka level is sloping :). It is a little blurry but that might be the camera, don't know and we aren't meant to judge on equipment. A colourful and well composed picture, and bokeh doesn't have to be confined to a bokeh theme. I think it is quite nice to see skills we (may) have learned shown in different months competition. VOTE

Thanks for the C&C Peachy. A little bit disappointed that it's a little blurry actually. Although I think it's because of camera shake more than anything. Next time I'll use a tripod when shooting in such dark conditions.

Wouldn't care but it looked perfect on the little screen :lol:

Don't normally give feedback on each photo but it's a relatively slow day at work and I always appreciate c&c from others so it's only fair I should do the same:

IHBB - I really like the photo, particularly because like many I learned to swim in that pool. To see it in that state is a little bit disappointing. I just would have liked to have seen it a little brighter, maybe with the contract bumped to make the blue really stand out - I love contrast!

Tom Tom - Obviously a little voyeuristic this one, but none the less an original idea. I know the light from the screen and floodlights probably make it controlled lighting, but I'm not sure it truly meets the theme. That could have been a very good side portrait if it was in black and white, and a lot closer to the subject.

NeilUK - This is a great holiday snap, and I like the sunset in the background and the colour of the sky and sun. But I just can't see how it's controlled. Still, a holiday snap to be proud of!

Rex - never mind mate :lol:

Peachy - I like it. similar to mine it looks set up at home, the only thing I would have done different was to try and get rid of the textured look of the white background . And dare I say it some more imaginatively coloured flowers :oops:. Still, a very nice home set up.

Amnorrageoride - got my vote. I just think it's very original. Personally I would have made it a little darker, more mysterious looking. A very well composed real life shot. Well done.

Clyde - Class. To get that look is amazing, but personally I like things I can relate to in real life. Obviously I went for the product advertisement look with my entry. But for yours it's great technique, great outcome, but just doesn't appeal to me. I imagine this might change when I try something similar myself.

UaeExile - My favourite :lol:

Madmackem - Hat off for the experiment :lol: But I really can't tell what it is and that's essential for me. Maybe another shot where it's a little clearer with boosted contrast and colour which would have made it "pop".

Spav - Love the colour of the pool and the contrast against the rocks, central was the only way to compose the shot but for me, just not enough there to really grab my attention.

Last edited:
honestly, I'm chuffed to bits with some of the comments on mine, I think the best thing you can ever possibly wish to do with a picture, is to spark some kind of connection or emotion.

peachbum - there's not much in the way of fussing on gone on with the photo, a few adjustments, sharpening, nothing huge. I was considering entering another one I took the same night, but I photoshopped the flashguns out of it, and felt that doesn't really fit the spirit of the competetion -

http://500px.com/photo/2039275

Uae exile- Obviously a little voyeuristic this one, but none the less an original idea. I know the light from the screen and floodlights probably make it controlled lighting, but I'm not sure it truly meets the theme. That could have been a very good side portrait if it was in black and white, and a lot closer to the subject.

Peachbum- Did you set a timer and run into the picture or did you have a willing model? I would have cropped this picture a lot as the man's face is lit up nicely but there is too large an area, especially to the left (but also to the top and right) which holds not a lot of interest to the viewer.

Thanks for the comments both of which will be helpful if I try this sort of thing again.
The end result is reflected in the voting.

It seemed like a good idea at the time but now I can see the points you are both making and thats what this site is all about.

Reasons for my votes.

MaDmAcKeM - I like everything about this photograph except that it is blurry. I like the frame, the idea, the positions, the colours. I'm going to vote for it anyway (maybe it is meant to be blurry?)
VOTE

Thanks for the vote Peachy, if you seen the lens i had blu-tacked to my phone you would understand why its blurrry! basically a 3mm piece of plastic. I think the DoF must be around 1mm deep. It was basically just a bit of fooling around with my phone as I dont have a macro lens for my slr.

Well done Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back