September Voting Thread - Controlled Light

Challenge winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days to vote.

Voting Guide (which you can ignore of course)
Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved.

If any of you can't see one or more of the pictures drop me a PM listing what you can't see and I'll stick them on Flickr or something similar.

Good luck everyone.

UAE Exile, Amnorrageordie and not spavin got my vote. None of the others addressed the competition brief. I did warn you AB22.

UAE Exile, Amnorrageordie and not spavin got my vote. None of the others addressed the competition brief. I did warn you AB22.
Just asking out of interest if Not Spavin's addressed the competition brief how come mine didn't? :?:

:?:

AB22's words in the brief:
"use of a reflector to bounce light onto a subject, ... all you have to do is control the light hitting the subject."

How come mine didn't meet that brief? :?:

I'm not really complaining but just saying it is a bit unfair to say we didn't meet the brief when we did.:?:

Apologies PB, I got your entry confused with not spavin's. In my defence I was a bit lashed at the time. MadMackem also met the criteria, maybe Neil's would but I can't see it on my PC. TomTom, Baitbox, Not Spavin and Clyde did not meet the brief though. Punters will just vote for their favourite picture, even if it doesn't meet the brief which kind of defeats the aim of having one.

Apologies PB, I got your entry confused with not spavin's. In my defence I was a bit lashed at the time. MadMackem also met the criteria, maybe Neil's would but I can't see it on my PC. TomTom, Baitbox, Not Spavin and Clyde did not meet the brief though. Punters will just vote for their favourite picture, even if it doesn't meet the brief which kind of defeats the aim of having one.
Thanks for answering.

Bold : I think we may possibly be used to this now 21 months in. :)

Amnorrageordie gets my vote. I'm not sure if it was planned, or whether he just took it when at work, but I really like it. Reminds me of an old horror move for some reason.

smoker said:

Just wondering how you figure in didn't match the brief? Not only did I control where the light fell, I made it too... :-(

Just wondering how you figure in didn't match the brief? Not only did I control where the light fell, I made it too... :-(

took the words right out of my mouth mate, i controlled every single bit of light in my picture too, and as you know it was pitch f***ing black in that building.

I think the very few entries reflect the nature of the challenge this month. As for voting, I'm looking for something interesting to do with the light, not just a standard block light/point light at something and click.

Ian Hesford's Bait Box - A bit "28 days later" good effort.

tom tom macute - Your weakest shot for some time, a bit lacklustre imo.

neiluk1985 - nice idea, a bit bland though, could they not throw some shapes !

Son of Rex - Weird, taken this month ?

peachbum - s'ok, just a bit standard.

Amnorrageordie - Nice idea, but not controlled very well imo.

clyde - awesome shot, really good light control/play - VOTE

UaeExile - was better suited to the BOKEH challenge earlier this year, really good bokeh shot.

MaDMaCKeM - Interesting idea, nice abstract shot, would've gotten a vote if there was more entries to warrant one.

not spavin - Nice shot but too much black in it for me.

:cool:

Two Votes for this month

Ian Hesfords shot of Durham baths,
Did my kids really learn to swim there all those years ago,

Amnorageordie,
Memories of night-shift, welders, sparks, grinders, noise, fumes, dust.
Captured it all perfectly

A hard one to judge really, as everyone's take on the theme is different,

hesford and clyde for me this month.

Just a thought but can the comments not be disabled from view before voting? Reading other peoples views on the pictures can influence the way people will vote. (not that it would have helped me this month like!)

Just a thought but can the comments not be disabled from view before voting? Reading other peoples views on the pictures can influence the way people will vote. (not that it would have helped me this month like!)
nee offence mate but the photography forum isn't exactly the most active board as it stands. Take away comments and I for one probably won't bother entering. Comments and critique are the only reason I enter, to get feedback on shots I take.

nee offence mate but the photography forum isn't exactly the most active board as it stands. Take away comments and I for one probably won't bother entering. Comments and critique are the only reason I enter, to get feedback on shots I take.

You never said how you controlled the the light UAEExile. I'd like to know. :)

Tired Eyes, you can still enter an autumnal picture for "leading lines"!

I think most people will vote for the picture they want to vote for, I doubt any comments will alter this. You can always dispute anything that you disagree with or post your own feedback.

Vote for as many as you like and you have 7 days to vote.

Voting Guide (which you can ignore of course)
Photographs should be judged on how well they meet the current challenge topic.
Photography equipment used should not be a criterion for rating a photo.
Evaluate the photo in various aspects, set a consistent norm and give your vote accordingly
If you don't vote for a picture, please try to provide constructive criticism how the shot could be improved.

If any of you can't see one or more of the pictures drop me a PM listing what you can't see and I'll stick them on Flickr or something similar.

Good luck everyone.
Loved both Hesfords and Clyde but in the end chose Hesford. Ney offence Clyde I still saved your photo marra as it was so intense :cool:

You never said how you controlled the the light UAEExile. I'd like to know. :)

Tired Eyes, you can still enter an autumnal picture for "leading lines"!

I think most people will vote for the picture they want to vote for, I doubt any comments will alter this. You can always dispute anything that you disagree with or post your own feedback.
Well I hung Christmas lights on a door, closed every door in the hall so it was pitch black and used the Christmas lights behind the bottle reflect ad backlight the text to make the blue 'pop' and stand out.

I think I hit the theme, but now I'm not so sure. Either or, I enjoyed taking it so I'm really not bothered :lol:

Amnorrageordie for me like. Really smart shot, the effort was worth it.

Im not saying totally get rid, just make people vote before they can read other comments.

You have to be there to comment tho, look at smokers comment about not hitting the theme, almost every entry did, I know its still upto the voter to choose but I feel comments should be blocked till you vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back