September SMB Photography Competition - After Dark - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this isn't going very well! I think I've moved to possibly the most drab, uninspiring place in the world in terms of photography!

I had one idea which basically involved a tramp in an underpass which had graffiti on it saying 'live free or die'. It was going to be a piece of social commentary on the idea of what it is to live free. Only problem is that the tramp seems to have fucked off, there is a really horrible yellowy/orange light in there, and there isn't enough light on the graffiti.

Now I'm absolutely stumped.

Real life has interferred with my photography this month, so there may not be an entry from me.

I guess I should explain my photo a bit incase you don't know what it is!

Over the summer I've been tidying the garden and finished it off with 3 Easter Island heads. As solar lights are pretty much useless from now until the start of spring next year I wasn't able to get the light shining up on the head (which I think would have looked pretty good).

So I was left with taking a shot with the flash on, or without it. With the flash I think it made the photo too light and didn't give the effect that I wanted. Without the flash hasn't really worked either as it is still quite difficult to see the general outline.

Anyways it's something different. Thinking about it now, I wish I had just nipped into the car and taken a photo of Alnwick Castle at night time when it's lit up!

Looks as though my camera is broke so I'm going to have to go with something I shot earlier in the month. :cry:

Over the summer I've been tidying the garden and finished it off with 3 Easter Island heads. As solar lights are pretty much useless from now until the start of spring next year I wasn't able to get the light shining up on the head (which I think would have looked pretty good).

So I was left with taking a shot with the flash on, or without it. With the flash I think it made the photo too light and didn't give the effect that I wanted. Without the flash hasn't really worked either as it is still quite difficult to see the general outline.

Anyways it's something different. Thinking about it now, I wish I had just nipped into the car and taken a photo of Alnwick Castle at night time when it's lit up!

I'm glad you explained as I found it interesting but thought it was a lass with long blonde hair, photographed from the side, with big boobs and an even bigger belly.

Good abstract shot that mate.

OK, there's mine in.

Shot using a fairly dim bulb at ISO 5000 to try to get a grainy look, with a tiny bit of noise added. I actually intended to convert to B&W but I thought the red glow looked better.

f/5
1/125s
Focal length 56mm
ISO 5000

Mod edit: Keep the comments to the photo rather than the model please.
Thanks
AB22

Last edited by a moderator:

I would never have got that, but now you point it out it's obvious.

Carty will be getting extra points off me for having the bottle to walk up the hill in the dark and blocking out all the shenanigans :oops:

Spav - absolute snorter mate

OK, there's mine in.

Shot using a fairly dim bulb at ISO 5000 to try to get a grainy look, with a tiny bit of noise added. I actually intended to convert to B&W but I thought the red glow looked better.
f/5
1/125s
Focal length 56mm
ISO 5000

Mod edit: Keep the comments to the photo rather than the model please.
Thanks
AB22

It does indeed mate - gives it a bit of a James Bond intro feel

mine in too. i have taken the most photographs EVER this month trying to get a picture for this! :lol: and have decided that my camera just isn't up to most night pictures.

the one i have gone with is ross from the futureheads during their set at split festival.

dammit :lol: just seen the name of amnorrageordie's pic!! ab, can you change my title please?? i would like to change it to 'one night in ashbrooke'

mine in too. i have taken the most photographs EVER this month trying to get a picture for this! :lol: and have decided that my camera just isn't up to most night pictures.

the one i have gone with is ross from the futureheads during their set at split festival.

dammit :lol: just seen the name of amnorrageordie's pic!! ab, can you change my title please?? i would like to change it to 'one night in ashbrooke'

I wouldn't worry about the title, the pic speaks for itself. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the title, the pic speaks for itself. ;)

love your pic. i tried to take a picture of fireworks, but the picture didn't capture the colours and extravagance of them well at all, yours gets it just right :-D

love your pic. i tried to take a picture of fireworks, but the picture didn't capture the colours and extravagance of them well at all, yours gets it just right :-D

I wish i had tried to squeeze onto Princes street somewhere. The show was mainly for the paying public in the gardens.

I have actually got one but today unfortunately the right conjunction of janiep + laptop + wifi is not going to happen. So I'm out this month :-D.

I couldn't be arsed this month, might have a gan next month.

Had plans to enter a shit hot astro shot, but been defeated by the clouds. So I've attempted to push the nackers off a quick Milky Way shot I took at Derwent last week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back