September Challenge - Triptych - Voting

Chalenge winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poor month IMO, I tried to enter one but what I had in my minds eye never came off. My thoughts, quickly:

Steeeed: Nice idea if not a little obvious but you won't need my vote.

Peachy: Squished

Ayesane: needs faster shutter speed

tom tom: just not aesthetically pleasing imo

ICBYD: one interesting image

Ajax Andy: Original if not a little too over processed, but thought outside the box

Architect: Background (gas bottles etc) clutters it

Malmo: too cluttered, images too close together but nice and sharp

Green man: middle image is focused nicely, side images just feel like filler that hurt my eyes.

Galahad: Weird glow round the building

All my own opinion of course and by default all did better than me for at least entering.

Steeed - Played to the crowd, however it's a good effort, the through the ages idea is strong and the execution is of a high standard. Deserves a vote but can't help thinking the shot was done for the votes...

Peachbum - If you change the size of an image like you did then the aspect ratio changes and you end up with squished or stretched images that look wrong. It's important to either resize using the same ratio or crop... so unfortunately this one's a miss for me.

Ayesane - Good effort and I like how the lines of the hills lead the eye to the tree... seems to be lacking a little punch for me though with a lack of contrast and seems a little underexposed

Tom Tom Macute - decent image but I don't like the way you've presented the 3 sections and how the original pic is visible between and around them

Icarebecauseyoudo - Good shot, if you hadn't mentioned the funnel cloud I wouldn't have seen it though. Overall decent but it lack enough interest or a focal point for me

MalmoMakem - Good shot, kind of a bit cluttered for me though. As a standalone shot I imagine it's pretty great but doesn't work too well as a Triptych IMO

Greenman - I like this... not sure the left panel is interesting enough but a good solid centre point of interest and it's nice and colourful - vote

Kid Galahad - Lazy or inspired... I can't decide :lol: I'd say it doesn't meet the idea of the theme enough for me

Steed (part 2) - ok had time to think about it and regardless of the 'playing to the fans' aspect of the pic it is a really good one and well thought out - vote

Steeeeed
- Winner by a mile, even though the image takes 45mins to load up :evil: - VOTE

Peachbum
- Nice idea but I'd definitely of took up the offer to resize it correctly, it's spoilt.

Ayesane - Nice shot, although I'd of trimmed the large amount of white card surrounding your postcard.

tom tom macute - Bit of a cheat triptych and the placement of the boxes to cut off a windmill arm is poor.

Icarebecauseyoudo - Pretty .... boring.

ajax-andy
- WTF ?? :lol:

architect1976 - Nice idea, although a stitched panoramic is not quite my idea of the theme.

MalmoMakem - Same again, stitched together isn't really my idea of triptych.

TheGreenMan - I like this, would like to have seen the ladybird at a better angle, maybe placed it on something more colourful too.

KidGalahad - Doesn't meet theme imo.

Last edited:
ajax-andy - WTF ?? :lol:

Wedding season mate... I've edited over a 1000 pics in the last month so I just hoyed some dog pics in photoshop, had a play around and stuck it on here.

It's a bit different if nothing else :lol:

Steed - nicely shot, nicely composed and nicely put together. VOTE

Peachbum - just a shame the aspect ratio is fucked up. kind of proves why there were so few entries this month as most people (me included) are too lazy to try and stitch it all together. Can't really say what it would be like if it wasnt stretched.

Ayesane - Nice subject, nicely composed VOTE.

tom tom - sorry mara, it just doesnt appeal to me. kind of like how you done something different to make it fit the theme.

ajax-andy - looks like a cartoon. too much PP for it to appeal to me.

architect1976 - cool way of making it hit the theme, just not that big on caravans :lol:

malmo - see above.

TheGreenMan - canny first entry marra. a bit soft, but not bad.

Kid Glalahad - I think there might be some funny editing going on here, but I like the fact it's a proper natural triptych VOTE.

Last edited:
Steeeeed - ignoring the blatant playing to the crowd, a well composed/considered shot. vote

peachbum - nice shot but mucked up the processing so outer panes are squished

ayesane - Really nice shot, but spoilt by the naff 'Prince of Thieves' in girlie script. Also thought the original b&w version was much better

tom tom macute - not sure this lends itself to being a triptych - just a lanscape with three frames hoyed over the top

Icarebecauseyoudo - dunno what I am supposed to be looking at here, I am fairly predisposed to stuff like this but I don't get it. Maybe this is the converse of ayesane's and could actually benefit from a caption

ajax_andy - ok I suppose, but processing is rather heavy

architect1976 - like it, the caravan park isn't all that exciting, but the idea is clever (done it meself once as it happens) and the pink/green colour contrast is a winner. vote

MalmöMakem - again, very clever, also a top bit of photoshopping - vote

TheGreenMan - like the subject bit a bit soft, also not sure whether the triptych format does much for this - what are the outer frames about?

Kid Galahad - not really a triptych imho, not a great composition either, a bit flat and claustrophobic, consider a rule of thirds grid for your LCD. soz

Last edited:
Voted fot the two footy themed ones, Malmo and Steeeed, no mind blower this month, and i like the clever editing of Malmo's shot, can't decide if it would look better without that player with 19 on his shorts, in the shot? he adds to the photo but spoils the theme a bit? Mine does have a haze around it that i didn't notice when i frigged about with it, it looks like it about to be beamed up by Scotty! Just tried to do a naturally aspirated shot , and the shadows seemed to make this fit the bill, also the heavy blue, grey and green when looking from top to bottom make it double tripych, that was the thought when i cropped it anyway! There's always next month :-(

Voted for:

Steeed: Great "through the years" progression, which is ideal for this theme.

ICBYD: Capturing a funnel cloud - fantastic - though irrespective of this love the texture of the remaining clouds across the three pictures.

Kid Galahad: A well spotted, "single panel" response to the theme. This was what I was trying to achieve this month (but failed miserably - so didn't upload.)

Well done to everyone who went to the trouble of entering - I thought this was a really tricky month

Two votes from me, Steed (cant not vote for the badges!) and Malmo, clever idea. Others werent interesting enough for me.
Not a very good month but well done to all who entered. I had a couple of ideas but couldnt find the time to put them together.

Some good stuff there, I would have given my vote to Steed but the top on the right needed a good iron ;)

Well done all.

Steeeeed

Pandering to the masses, but purposely discounting an idea to be seen as a bit hipster would be madness. Well delivered. VOTE

peachbum

As already mentioned you messed up the aspect ratio. It's just flowers.

tom tom macute

Nice idea, not keen on the way you have done the triptych though. The left and right smaller blocks could maybe have had there content centralised?

Icarebecauseyoudo

Excellent contrast in the clouds, would have been nice to have seen perhaps different cloud formations in each pane?

ajax_andy

i'm not sure what you're aiming for here..

architect1976

I'm sure this could have been better composed. I like the idea though.

MalmöMakem

number 19 is distracting. clipped the players boots on 2 of the 3 sections.

TheGreenMan

needs a little but contrast, but a nice image. 2 Distinct panes aswell. VOTE

Kid Galahad

not sure about that white haze around the stucture.. is this HDR?

ajax_andy

i'm not sure what you're aiming for here..

To quickly slap something together with as little effort as possible without any interest in whether it got any votes or not.

I think I achieved in my aims well :lol:

I actually think it's been a pretty creative month. A lot of alternatives to the traditional 3 panel approach.

OK, so I've taken a bit of stick about mine. I actually think it's very nice. I've managed to show the progression and differences in not only the badges but also the material, collar and sponsorship. Yes, it's SAFC shirts so it's picked up votes just for that I guess but by my reckoning roughly half of the votes have come from people who regularly enter the competitions, so I can take some heart from that :-D

My October entry will probably be around Newcastle so I can be punished then :cry:

The comments so far cover what ever I would say on the other entries.

I've voted for ayesane this month, nice symmetry, main subject and foreground interest. Nice shot in shit lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back