September Challenge Entries ONLY - Controlled light

Status
Not open for further replies.
The challenge theme for September takes us back to techniques and this month it's "Controlled Light"

It can be anything you like: Fill Flash, on camera flash, off camera flash, studio lights, use of a reflector to bounce light onto a subject, even a bedside lamp if you want, all you have to do is control the light hitting the subject.

Entries should be posted by September 30th and this month please include a description of how you controlled the light.

Happy shooting

Last edited:

Logon or register to see this image

Pool. by David John Harris, on Flickr

Only my second entry for the challenges. Be gentle

This is lit by two external Canon Speedlites wireless controlled from my Canon 7d. They're on manual, and running at full power, pointing into the corridor. They're sitting on the window sills of the two windows to the left. I wanted to burn out the windows, and reflect enough light back in to light up the pool area. Took me a couple of attempts, and a bit of faffing to get the speedlites in the right place

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?p=10802767#post10802767#ixzz1Y2LMH0z0

(can the mods zap the first post please? It messed up)

Last edited by a moderator:
picture.php

Need to start getting out a bit more.

Lighting consists of floodlights from Durham City football ground and monitor screen.
f5
13seconds
100 ISO

I don't normally take portraits, but was at the beach the other day and took this and was quite pleased with the outcome. Obviously the sun is in the background, so I had to the use the fill flash in order to brighten the subject. Hopefully it complies with this month's rules!

f/8
1/160 secs
iso 100
10mm lens
taken with my trusty sony a300

Should have read the rules :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I set up my "studio" in the garden.
Deckchairs were dressed up in white T-shirts etc, both behind the subject and to the sides to reflect light back on to the flowers. Also the flower vase had white round the bottom to reflect light back up.

*"*"*"*"*"*

Camera: Canon Point and Shoot
Manual setting
No flash
ISO 100
Overcast icon
Plus 1 on exposure to aid the "high key" effect I was aiming for for this picture.
Framed in piknic otherwise it is as taken.

Last edited:
ok, i'll chuck this in for this month....some info:

the place is pitch black and i'm not lying, no light in the room at all.
made some little gel hoods out of cardboard tubes from toilet rools for my super bright lenser T7 torch, put the green one over the torch and painted in the majority of green light in the room and then spun an orb in the middle, making everything a bit more green.

Absolutely!

f2
1/4 of a second
iso 100
50mm

For my entry I hung christmas lights over a dark wooden door and placed a tilted bottle of voddy :lol: in front so the light shone through the glass. I also used a low f number to make the lights soft and blurry and set WB to tungsten.

This was taken as an experiment and a bit of fun, however its all I've had time for this month!
I had taken apart a knackered blu-ray laser from a ps3, I stuck one of the lenses over the lens of my Galaxy S2 which made it macro :)
The objects are the prisms and lenses from the laser assembly - all are around 3mm - 8mm in size, placed on a hard disc platter for the reflectivity and lit with a led pen torch. Hope you like it.
according to the exif, f2.6 at 1/17th and iso 160

Got it working now - mods, can you delete the above please?

This is midday sun hitting a rock pool - so light was controlled by moving my legs... bit tenuous, I know. f13, 1/1250, ISO100, straight out of camera.

Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back