September Challenge Discussion - Controlled light

Status
Not open for further replies.
The challenge theme for September takes us back to techniques and this month it's "Controlled Light"

It can be anything you like: Fill Flash, on camera flash, off camera flash, studio lights, use of a reflector to bounce light onto a subject, even a bedside lamp if you want, all you have to do is control the light hitting the subject.

Entries should be posted by September 30th and this month please include a description of how you controlled the light.

Happy shooting

Last edited:

What about natural light, or is that not controlled?

I guess if you use something to reflect the light, or how you place it within the composition is controlling the light. Adapting your exposure to cope with the natural light is not 'controlling the light'.

My take on it anyway.

well, made a complete balls of posting an image to enter. If this had been on the SMB I'd have been torn to bits by now :lol:

You've surely ruled out Tom Tom's shot if you are gonna say that
Why? He's used controlled light? He turned on the monitor and chose to allow light through the curtain in his photo

Ab22's reply was to me asking if natural light was ok - so yes if I use something to actsully control it I.e reflector or diffuser etc.

Last edited:
You've surely ruled out Tom Tom's shot if you are gonna say that

Nothing flash about the photograph ( excuse the pun) but the light was controled by tilting the blinds to fall on the wall, and adjusting the brightness of the monitor

I think it meets the criteria set down for the challenge.

Nothing flash about the photograph ( excuse the pun) but the light was controled by tilting the blinds to fall on the wall, and adjusting the brightness of the monitor

I think it meets the criteria set down for the challenge.

Basic error.

I meant Hesford's shot :lol:

I think the criteria has to include natural light myself, and people can judge who has controlled whatever form of light they use

Basic error.

I meant Hesford's shot :lol:

I think the criteria has to include natural light myself, and people can judge who has controlled whatever form of light they use
Eh, he's using flash guns - if that isn't controlled light then I don't know what is :lol:

And yet tom tilts his blinds and you say that'n now ok? Bizarre rationale that like.

IMO they're both OK.

Eh, he's using flash guns - if that isn't controlled light then I don't know what is :lol:

And yet tom tilts his blinds and you say that'n now ok? Bizarre rationale that like.

IMO they're both OK.

Loads of natural light spilling in. Look at the reflections on the left

I think it's absolutely fine, just doesn't meet AB's criteria

Loads of natural light spilling in. Look at the reflections on the left

I think it's absolutely fine, just doesn't meet AB's criteria

'fraid not. All the light in there was made by me. It's all boarded up, and taken after dark :) (it's the only way of getting in, without involving Durham's finest) ask Clyde ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back