Selling a car

mogget

Winger
I've decided to sell my car and I want to know if there are any tips for the way to maximise how much I sell it for.
Its a 2009 Polo and I've seen similar cars priced between 3 and 4 thousand. I paid 5,500 between 3 and 4 years ago.
Its got a small bump in the boot and one of the indicators is damaged, it has one month left on its MOT. Is it worth fixing ? How much should I be looking for?
The reason why I'm selling it is since I've moved to London I now don't use it very often and haven't used it this year.

I've decided to sell my car and I want to know if there are any tips for the way to maximise how much I sell it for.
Its a 2009 Polo and I've seen similar cars priced between 3 and 4 thousand. I paid 5,500 between 3 and 4 years ago.
Its got a small bump in the boot and one of the indicators is damaged, it has one month left on its MOT. Is it worth fixing ? How much should I be looking for?
The reason why I'm selling it is since I've moved to London I now don't use it very often and haven't used it this year.
Autotrader give a rough valuation on their site if you create an account and add car. You can search for the same car as well and see what they're priced at. They add little badges for 'Priced Low' and 'Good Price' and shit like that so you should get a decent idea what the asking is.

Make sure it's clean and you describe it properly and there'll be no surprises for anyone coming to look at it. Nowt worse than going to look at a car and the seller's not told the whole story.

A dented car with a smashed indicator lens and near expired MOT is a difficult sell.

Spend a few quid getting it fixed up and MOT'd, chuck in a full valet and stick it in the classified.

You have a genuine reason for sale, so it should sell.

Don't use We buy any car, they'll walk round it for 30 minutes and offer you a grand less than what they quoted because of .... "insert random car fault"

A dented car with a smashed indicator lens and near expired MOT is a difficult sell.

Spend a few quid getting it fixed up and MOT'd, chuck in a full valet and stick it in the classified.

Don't use We buy any car, they'll walk round it for 30 minutes and offer you a grand less than what they quoted because of .... "insert random car fault"
I presumed this, Thought id have to get it all fixed but didnt know if the cost would would be held in the price id sell it for.

Autotrader give a rough valuation on their site if you create an account and add car. You can search for the same car as well and see what they're priced at. They add little badges for 'Priced Low' and 'Good Price' and shit like that so you should get a decent idea what the asking is.

Make sure it's clean and you describe it properly and there'll be no surprises for anyone coming to look at it. Nowt worse than going to look at a car and the seller's not told the whole story.

Do this and fix the indicator. It won't cost much but a broken one will look like you've not looked after the car.

Get the lamp fixed from a scrappy. Clean and hoover it yourself. It's a 10 year old car so do it cheap as possible or you're chucking money away. Get an Mot done.

As for selling it, you can advertise for nowt on Facebook marketplace. You'll probably attract some nutters / time wastets so don't spoil your day / night waiting in.

Get the lamp fixed from a scrappy. Clean and hoover it yourself. It's a 10 year old car so do it cheap as possible or you're chucking money away. Get an Mot done.

As for selling it, you can advertise for nowt on Facebook marketplace. You'll probably attract some nutters / time wastets so don't spoil your day / night waiting in.

All good advice. A fresh MOT is a must if you want decent money.

Plus give it a clean under the bonnet. If you can't do it yourself then those pop up Romanian car washes are as cheap as chips.

You're right about Facebook marketplace mind.

Jesus wept.

My lad advertised a set of second hand tyres on there recently - imagine Nenthead Have Your Say.

Any idea how much that would cost? I have very little knowledge about cars
Search your car as if you were buying and theres your prices .All the problems are red flags to buyers .Ebay do a classified ad for a set fee ,decide your price and tick the box inviting offers and see what comes in ,just ignore the numpties and any serious offers consider .

Went to a view a car recently and the warning light was on, apparently the lad took it to a garage and he reckons it was £100 to fix, I'm not gan buy a car with a warning light on, imagine most people wouldn't. Why on earth wouldn't you just get it fixed? False economy Shirley .

Went to a view a car recently and the warning light was on, apparently the lad took it to a garage and he reckons it was £100 to fix, I'm not gan buy a car with a warning light on, imagine most people wouldn't. Why on earth wouldn't you just get it fixed? False economy Shirley .
Wise move.

It always seems to be '£100 to fix'.

Unless you really know what you're doing, the average punter should just walk away.

Don’t bother cleaning or washing it waste of time

Not being cheeky marra but I don’t know where you have been looking to see a ten year old Polo for between £3-4K, in my opinion without knowing the model and taking into consideration the condition of the car etc. you will do well to get £1500

They are good mate. I know three people who have sold cars through them.

At the moment 4 vw polos on gumtree are under £1000 within a 15 mile radius of Sunderland. I think £1000 is what you will get. £3-£4K is impossible

Back