Selling a car privately

Hi looking for a bit of advice.
Selling a car as we’ve no need for 2 now.
Advertised on auto trader. Had one interested party who’s been a pain in the arse to be honest. He’s not happy with the service history. First service was main dealer but second service was done a fortnight ago at a local garage. ( saved over £300 )

would that put you off as a potential buyer?
Should I bite the bullet and take it to the main dealer?

thing is I’m not desperate to sell, the car costs me nothing other than tax and insurance. Just don’t see the point of it sat at the front door getting dirty and depreciating.
Any advice ( and piss taking ) appreciated .

Advertised on auto trader. Had one interested party who’s been a pain in the arse to be honest. He’s not happy with the service history. First service was main dealer but second service was done a fortnight ago at a local garage. ( saved over £300 )

thing is I’m not desperate to sell, the car costs me nothing other than tax and insurance. Just don’t see the point of it sat at the front door getting dirty and depreciating.
Sounds like he’s being a pain with the ultimate goal of driving the price down. Dealership service history is irrelevant to me, it’s about the quality of the service you receive.

Summed up above. No way would I be paying for an additional service just to keep some chancer happy. If he doesn’t want it as it is then I’d tell him to jog on.

Neither of you will gain anything from having a dealer stamp in the book.

get in on FB Marketplace just sold a Jag XF in 1 week no hassle and no auto trader browsers who think they are Boycie car dealers themselves.....

When/if you do sell it,remember paperwork signed by you and the buyer. 2 copies ,one each. "Seen ,tried,tested ,driven, happy with vehicle " No finance outstanding .

Cars sell better with dealer history ( I take the point it may be no more efficient ) . If you've broke that at second service the next buyer , who may turn cars over every couple of years can't sell it with dealer history and at 3 year old that's reducing his market.
No disrespect but I wouldn't buy a newish car that had its second service outside dealership either , history is gone...but I wouldn't be kicking it's tyres either

Last edited:
Cars sell better with dealer history ( I take the point it may be no more efficient ) . If you've broke that at second service the next buyer , who may turn cars over every couple of years can't sell it with dealer history and at 3 year old that's reducing his market.
No disrespect but I wouldn't buy a newish car that had its second service outside dealership either , history is gone.
That’s just perception though. It’s a very old school outlook still laying over from the days before block exemption.

Last edited:
Sounds like he’s being a pain with the ultimate goal of driving the price down. Dealership service history is irrelevant to me, it’s about the quality of the service you receive.
Aye you’re right. He’s just rang and offered £4.250 under asking price. For the sake of a service he can do one. I think he might be a trader rather than a private buyer.

That’s just perception though. It’s a very old school outlook still laying over from the days of block exemption.
You're probably right , but perception reduces your market right or wrong .
Aye you’re right. He’s just rang and offered £4.250 under asking price. For the sake of a service he can do one. I think he might be a trader rather than a private buyer.
Chancer trader mate

No disrespect but I wouldn't buy a newish car that had its second service outside dealership either , history is gone...but I wouldn't be kicking it's tyres either
It’s only requires a service every 2 years. It’s done 3,500 miles between the two it’s had. To be honest I was loathed to pay £600 plus when I could get the service and MOT for less than half the price. Like I say a big difference in price between main dealer and local garage. Will try some other places as has been mentioned above..

As said earlier, he’s made an offer.. but never physically looked at or sat in the car... dealer??

It’s only requires a service every 2 years. It’s done 3,500 miles between the two it’s had. To be honest I was loathed to pay £600 plus when I could get the service and MOT for less than half the price. Like I say a big difference in price between main dealer and local garage. Will try some other places as has been mentioned above..

As said earlier, he’s made an offer.. but never physically looked at or sat in the car... dealer??
Dealer or scam. Just chase him.

Certainly sounds like it doesn't it .
I'd be tempted to change the advert to FDSH ( given the service you've had done was not scheduled or required ) and then explain when buyers enquire .

You're probably right , but perception reduces your market right or wrong .

Chancer trader mate
It reduces the worth of the vehicle marginally on CAP and it’s used to help main dealers drive stock and sales through them rather than independents. You have the opportunity to change your opinion now.

There are people out there who just go around offering low prices to desperate sellers and then sell it the same day on another platform for a few hundred profit.
Happened to my mate the other week, sold a clio on FB for £400 and that afternoon it was on Gumtree for £895.

Back