Self driving cars

Got a mate who works in space stuff in Holland ( it’s the husband of my lasses mate ) who told me about 18 months ago that his friend who works for google, has started a company that buys up car parking space in Germany and Belgium. He said google cars are way ahead of where people think they are and that in the next ten years, companies running self drive cars need somewhere to park when not in operation.
That would be a massive advantage like, they'd end up being more like taxis. Get it to come for you when you need it, get dropped off, and off the car goes to park up somewhere out the way.

It's a cure for crashes though

Is it though? The variables humans go through while driving are huge. Would an driverless car bump on the curb to avoid a broken down vehicle or sit and wait while anticipating overtaking a line of cyclists on a winding country road.

I could come up with hundreds of more examples

I'm a massive fan of technology but I'm not sure the benefits of this are worth the effort

I also enjoy driving

Self driving cars take away the fun. Humans like fun. And risk.

Going down this line we will all be wearing sparkly orange suits like some 1950s sci fi film.

They gave million of mikes worth of data from Teslas on autopilot and fsd and crashes per mile are 1 10th of what they are for human only driven vehicles in crash per miles.

Investors in Tesla would definitely disagree with that last bit.

The fact still remains Tesla is only level 2 and years away from anything that could be considered 'full self drive'. The safety of level 5 is unknown. The article itself says Tesla's figures are based on highway driving while the human figures include city / urban.

Tesla investors believe what Musk says, he is rapidly becoming Howard Hughes and will say anything to keep the share price up.

He has a better chance of getting to Mars than delivering a fully driverless car in the next decade.

Got a mate who works in space stuff in Holland ( it’s the husband of my lasses mate ) who told me about 18 months ago that his friend who works for google, has started a company that buys up car parking space in Germany and Belgium. He said google cars are way ahead of where people think they are and that in the next ten years, companies running self drive cars need somewhere to park when not in operation.

I know of a few investors in the USA who are buying up brownfield sites in major US conurbations for the same purpose, to store fleets of autonomous cars once they get widely adopted. Its much closer than people realise.

If the driverless cars are going to replace human driven vehicles then why the need for extra parking spaces? Surely we would need fewer parking spaces as people would not be dumping their vehicles at 9am and returning at 5.

If the driverless cars are going to replace human driven vehicles then why the need for extra parking spaces? Surely we would need fewer parking spaces as people would not be dumping their vehicles at 9am and returning at 5.
You're right people won't be dumping their cars as close as they can to where they are, but they need somewhere to go, they can't just keep driving round the block all day. That could be a massive out of town site where all the cars fuck off to and park up until they're needed.

Last edited:
The fact still remains Tesla is only level 2 and years away from anything that could be considered 'full self drive'. The safety of level 5 is unknown. The article itself says Tesla's figures are based on highway driving while the human figures include city / urban.

Tesla investors believe what Musk says, he is rapidly becoming Howard Hughes and will say anything to keep the share price up.

He has a better chance of getting to Mars than delivering a fully driverless car in the next decade.

I love it when people say he will say anything to keep the share price up, he got done by the SEC for saying Tesla was overpriced and sent the price nosediving.

I also love it when people say he makes stuff up. The bloke who is building the worlds most advanced mass production EVs, building rockets to fly to Mars, launching satellites to provide super high speed comms systems, developing solar and battery storage systems, building huge tunnels under los Angeles, and developing neuralink brain chips to allow people to walk again. Aye such a fraud. He does more in one day than most of us achieve in a lifetime.

Last edited:
He does more in one day than most of us achieve in a lifetime.

So did Howard Hughes. He still ended up crazy.

Musk has been 'very close' to achieving full autonomy since 2017, the reason? He needs constant investment. If he actually said to his investors that full autonomy was going to be half as good as he promised, take 3 times longer and cost 10 times the initial estimate the money would stop.

Level 5 is not attainable (at least in the UK) without huge infrastructure changes to the road network, the total cost will be huge unless carried out over a long period around general repairs.

I love it when people spend a fortune on FSD for their Teslas but don't realise their cars will be on the scrapheap long before it actually happens.

I think it'll go through various phases

1) it's new and the cars will make mistakes but if they still make less mistakes than humans it's still a winner.
2) It'll improve but it still has to cope with non-self driving cars.
3) Within 10 years majority of cars will be self driving, a bit further down line talking to other self driving cars by WiFi or similar creating much more efficiency on the roads as 10 cars at a roundabout talk to each about fastest way for them all to navigate it.
4) The road system will change as there will be no need for roundabouts etc as cars are talking to each other.

Last edited:
So did Howard Hughes. He still ended up crazy.

Musk has been 'very close' to achieving full autonomy since 2017, the reason? He needs constant investment. If he actually said to his investors that full autonomy was going to be half as good as he promised, take 3 times longer and cost 10 times the initial estimate the money would stop.

Level 5 is not attainable (at least in the UK) without huge infrastructure changes to the road network, the total cost will be huge unless carried out over a long period around general repairs.

I love it when people spend a fortune on FSD for their Teslas but don't realise their cars will be on the scrapheap long before it actually happens.
New FSD update was issued yesterday. It can drive your car from a to b, without any intervention from the driver.

guess it was here sooner than you thought.

New FSD update was issued yesterday. It can drive your car from a to b, without any intervention from the driver.

guess it was here sooner than you thought.
In which you need to keep your eyes firmly on the road and hands on the wheel in case the tech fails (as it has before leading to death). What could go wrong.

In which you need to keep your eyes firmly on the road and hands on the wheel in case the tech fails (as it has before leading to death). What could go wrong.

Waymo have about 200 (IIRC) completely driverless taxis available for anyone to use in an area of Arizona. Yes it’s an area that’s particularly conducive to self-drive but it’s a start. Bit by bit...

They're not quite as good as that: Waymo will allow more people to ride in its fully driverless vehicles in Phoenix

I don't think we'll ever see level 5 full autonomy, despite all the hype.

I don’t think it matters. I do think we’ll gradually shift to a large number of vehicles not needing a human driver in the front seat to control it. And it will be a significant enough number to lead to a societal shift in various ways.

I think it’ll be similar to remote working now. Not everyone can work from home. Some who can work from home will still need to go in occasionally. But the shift is significant and transforming.

Getting hung up on whether we can get ubiquitous level 5 misses the point IMO.

I can’t wait for autonomous vehicles.

Imagine going to the pub then calling your car to come and take you home.

If you don’t need to drive, your car could have a bed in it. Imagine climbing into your car bed and then walking up in London or Paris.

It’s going to be mint.
This. I drove hundreds of miles per week for years. I'm over driving. Sleeping, pissing about on my phone or watching a fillum while a computer does it is where its at.

Probably safer then a human

But subject to input from human irrationality, which is where the problem lies.

I did a bit of work years ago on integrating autonomous UAVs with human controlled aircraft. The problem was two-fold - the random input of human stupidity, and the then unpredictable reaction of the UAV to a situation it didn't expect to encounter. The solution - there isn't one yet. You can't program instinct into computers, or remove human error and have an integrated system.

It'll only work when everything is autonomous and no human input is allowed. And even then, computers aren't infallible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back