Self driving cars

Thats the problem with too much automation. It dilutes the quality of driving, which these days is shit to begin with.

But eventually it'll get to a point where it improves quality

Don't most accidents occur at points where humans make decisions, like junctions, roundabouts, lane changes etc? Take the flawed human out of that and you'll end up with safer roads...

Probably safer then a human

The data suggests ten times safer.

Can see this happening more often

Seems a bit odd as it’s a level 2 autonomy system and you have to keep your hands in the wheel or it turns off after about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Got a mate who works in space stuff in Holland ( it’s the husband of my lasses mate ) who told me about 18 months ago that his friend who works for google, has started a company that buys up car parking space in Germany and Belgium. He said google cars are way ahead of where people think they are and that in the next ten years, companies running self drive cars need somewhere to park when not in operation.

Got a mate who works in space stuff in Holland ( it’s the husband of my lasses mate ) who told me about 18 months ago that his friend who works for google, has started a company that buys up car parking space in Germany and Belgium. He said google cars are way ahead of where people think they are and that in the next ten years, companies running self drive cars need somewhere to park when not in operation.

Musk said on the JRE that level 5 autonomy is almost there. It will take a lot longer for the legislation to catch up to the tech than it will to get the tech ready.

I do wonder how suitable the UK roads are for it and only use autopilot on well marked out dual carriageways or motorways, it’s till beta at present. I have been in my mates on a long journey and witnessed his fantom breaking at least 6 times, so it’s not quite totally trustworthy yet. I’ve only had it a few times but his seems to have an issue and he’s stopped using it.

The data suggests ten times safer.

The problem with those statistics is that nobody has actually produced a level 5 vehicle yet (have they even reached level 3 or 4 yet as a retail product?). I'ts impossible to say how 'safe' they will be as they don't exist yet.

All for driver aids to take over during traffic jams etc but until they can remove the steering wheel they are not going to be the cash cows that investors are craving.

I thought the whole point of driverless cars was to take a decent kip when traveling anyway.

Or play monopoly or clip ones toenails - perhaps a cheeky shave.

That sort of thing ,to break up the journey.

Not buying.

The problem with those statistics is that nobody has actually produced a level 5 vehicle yet (have they even reached level 3 or 4 yet as a retail product?). I'ts impossible to say how 'safe' they will be as they don't exist yet.

All for driver aids to take over during traffic jams etc but until they can remove the steering wheel they are not going to be the cash cows that investors are craving.

They gave million of mikes worth of data from Teslas on autopilot and fsd and crashes per mile are 1 10th of what they are for human only driven vehicles in crash per miles.

Investors in Tesla would definitely disagree with that last bit.

Back