Self Defence

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

Trained in? How la-di-da. Learn all you need to on the playground. Kick 'em in the shins and pull their hair.

Got my shotokan black belt in 1984.
Far too old for real fighting with owt like fit lads now at 60+ but can still land a 4 punch combo that would significantly bother a chancer .
My instructor is in his late 60s I'm twice his size and weight and nearly half his age but his speed and technical ability are unbelievable. Most of our one to one sessions ends up with me flat on my back looking up at the ceiling wondering how he manages it :lol:

My instructor is in his late 60s I'm twice his size and weight and nearly half his age but his speed and technical ability are unbelievable. Most of our one to one sessions ends up with me flat on my back looking up at the ceiling wondering how he manages it :lol:
Sounds like a well timed ashi Bari . Good technique that saves energy and faces 😉

you have to learn the formula of self defence to be any good at it
IK+

THE WAY OF THE EXPLODING FIST was equally as good if not better

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trained in Royal navy bar brawling.

Also I'm a good boxer. Pompey heavyweight champ
Can do judo
Aikido from being a prison officer

I went down the route of other RN fighting discipline, covering my pint with my free hand and heading for a wall if it went up.

Isn't aikido one of those made up martial arts where you see old masters getting banjoed by some young lad and them realising that their discipline is nonsense? Not taking the piss if I'm thinking of the wrong one but in my mind aikido was a made up one.

I went down the route of other RN fighting discipline, covering my pint with my free hand and heading for a wall if it went up.

Isn't aikido one of those made up martial arts where you see old masters getting banjoed by some young lad and them realising that their discipline is nonsense? Not taking the piss if I'm thinking of the wrong one but in my mind aikido was a made up one.

No Aiki-do and Ju-do are both derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is the throws and Aikido the holds and locks. Do means the way and Jitsu means techniques. So the full name given to Karate by Funakoshi was Karate-do, the Way of the Empty Hand. Although Jiu Jitsu does have atemi (strikes), Karate was from a different source.

[/QUOTMartial arts are great but they

Street fighters (I will g
No Aiki-do and Ju-do are both derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is the throws and Aikido the holds and locks. Do means the way and Jitsu means techniques. So the full name given to Karate by Funakoshi was Karate-do, the Way of the Empty Hand. Although Jiu Jitsu does have atemi (strikes), Karate was from a different source.
I’d back a good street fighter over a martial artist.

The tacit rules that exist in a dojo don’t apply to street/pub brawlers.

Boxers are the worst to fight standing up.

Arm bars, wrist locks, chokes and throws are complicated to apply for all but the very best martial artists.

Have a look at a bloke called Geoff Thompson. He used to run self defence courses years ago. They were bloody terrifying.

He’s written a few books on the subject too. The Pavement Arena is one I recall.

The tacit rules that exist in a dojo don’t apply to street/pub brawlers.

Boxers are the worst to fight standing up.

Arm bars, wrist locks, chokes and throws are complicated to apply for all but the very best martial artists.

Have a look at a bloke called Geoff Thompson. He used to run self defence courses years ago. They were bloody terrifying.

He’s written a few books on the subject too. The Pavement Arena is one I recall.

Last edited:

I'm not a martial artist but I thought Brazilian jiu jitsu was derived from Judo, and that it didn't involve any striking?

this^, ive tried martial arts on the streets and it just doesnt work, on the streets its a question of fighting spirit and how good you are at fighting

Back