Sega Megadrive / Raspberry PI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wylie Coyote

Striker
Reckon I could sell one of these on Gumtree for a decent price? Got one with 2 pads, about 20 games and all the cables and stuff but can't be arsed with selling on Ebay and posting it off

Also, will someone who is canny crap with computer stuff be able to sort out a Raspberry PI retro console if I bought all the stuff? I've been reading the guides and that and it's canny confusing

Reckon I could sell one of these on Gumtree for a decent price? Got one with 2 pads, about 20 games and all the cables and stuff but can't be arsed with selling on Ebay and posting it off

Also, will someone who is canny crap with computer stuff be able to sort out a Raspberry PI retro console if I bought all the stuff? I've been reading the guides and that and it's canny confusing

So you're wanting to sell a Pi, then buy a Pi? Actually, misread that, you want to sell the megadrive?

It's pretty easy to set up a pi for retro.

No an actual Megadrive and replace it with a PI

Yeah mate, I was a bit slow there like.

It's very easy to set up a pi for retro pi.

1. Place your Raspberry Pi into its case.
  2. Download the RetroPie SD-card image.
  3. Format your SD card to work with Raspberry Pi.
  4. Install the RetroPie image (using a Mac)
  5. Install the RetroPie image (using Windows)
  6. Put the SD card into your Raspberry Pi and connect your peripherals.
  7. Connect your Pi to the Internet.

Yeah mate, I was a bit slow there like.

It's very easy to set up a pi for retro pi.

I've been looking at a link on a website called pocket-lint and it's canny good listing all the stuff you need and what you have to do but I'm shocking at stuff like this, I couldn't even set up my fire stick properly

Cheers lads but time for a thick persons question. Do I only use my PC to put stuff on the SD card (programmes / Roms etc) then everything else is done on the PI?

Also can you do the above on a laptop or not? I'm not sure if either my PC or laptop have a Micro SD slot. PC is about 5 years old and Laptop is roughly 18 months old

Cheers lads but time for a thick persons question. Do I only use my PC to put stuff on the SD card (programmes / Roms etc) then everything else is done on the PI?

Also can you do the above on a laptop or not? I'm not sure if either my PC or laptop have a Micro SD slot. PC is about 5 years old and Laptop is roughly 18 months old

Yes. And you can do it on a laptop, you can buy an SD card USB card reader for about a quid if required. If you bought a pre loaded card you wouldnt' even need to attach it to your PC, you'd plug it into the Pi and switch it on and it'll work.

Yes. And you can do it on a laptop, you can buy an SD card USB card reader for about a quid if required. If you bought a pre loaded card you wouldnt' even need to attach it to your PC, you'd plug it into the Pi and switch it on and it'll work.

Ok cheers mate. Will have a little look into the pre loaded cards before I make a decision on what to get

Was planning on doing it myself so that I could just download what I want rather than have a card full of stuff I wont play but for ease and quickness the pre loaded card is canny appealing

Ok cheers mate. Will have a little look into the pre loaded cards before I make a decision on what to get

Was planning on doing it myself so that I could just download what I want rather than have a card full of stuff I wont play but for ease and quickness the pre loaded card is canny appealing

It's really easy to do yourself to be honest. Once you've installed the emulator to your Pi, you could just download games and stuff on your phone and transfer them over to the box.

It's really easy to do yourself to be honest. Once you've installed the emulator to your Pi, you could just download games and stuff on your phone and transfer them over to the box.

I've added the stuff I think I need to my basket on Amazon for now but will look at pre-loaded cards before hand, is this all the stuff I need?

Raspberry PI 3 Model B
Raspberry PI 3 Case
Power Adapter
32GB Micro SD Cards
HDMI Cable
2 Buffalo Classic USB Pads

Would prefer the wireless pads but they £30 each

I've added the stuff I think I need to my basket on Amazon for now but will look at pre-loaded cards before hand, is this all the stuff I need?

Raspberry PI 3 Model B
Raspberry PI 3 Case
Power Adapter
32GB Micro SD Cards
HDMI Cable
2 Buffalo Classic USB Pads

Would prefer the wireless pads but they £30 each

Yeah, that'll get you started. Game sell a wireless pad for £7.99, got one for the bairns for their firestick and it works ok.

Actually, depending on what you want, this might save you time/effort.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/emtec-gem-...&ranSiteID=aBCSbjOIq8Q-1ike8qQpZL1O0JTZzRiRqQ

Comes with a pad - should run most games, what sort of games are you looking to run?

If you do go with the Pi, you can get the controllers alone for £7.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/emtec-gem-pad-wireless-gamepad-bt-f500-1602235

Last edited:
Yeah, that'll get you started. Game sell a wireless pad for £7.99, got one for the bairns for their firestick and it works ok.

Actually, depending on what you want, this might save you time/effort.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/emtec-gem-...&ranSiteID=aBCSbjOIq8Q-1ike8qQpZL1O0JTZzRiRqQ

Comes with a pad - should run most games, what sort of games are you looking to run?

If you do go with the Pi, you can get the controllers alone for £7.99

http://www.game.co.uk/en/emtec-gem-pad-wireless-gamepad-bt-f500-1602235

Cheers mate you've been a big help

I want one for SNES, NES, N64, Megadrive and PS1. I'm canny excited about the whole thing ha, was telling our lass last night and she things I'm a sad twat

Stuff ordered from Amazon, should be delivered in time to have a bash at setting it up after work tomorrow. I have a couple of hours spare before our lass finishes work so hopefully will be able to get it set up before then

@AndrewP got the Pi set up and just tested putting a rom on it worked. Quite a bit of downloading to be done over the next couple of games, quick question though do N64 and PS1 game run ok as I've seen conflicting stuff

Oh and different thread but you were right about Dawdon, went for a drive about it last night and it's canny bleak. Was a nice house but the area is a no go for me

@AndrewP got the Pi set up and just tested putting a rom on it worked. Quite a bit of downloading to be done over the next couple of games, quick question though do N64 and PS1 game run ok as I've seen conflicting stuff

Oh and different thread but you were right about Dawdon, went for a drive about it last night and it's canny bleak. Was a nice house but the area is a no go for me
No bother mate. Aye Dawdon seems grim.

N64 is fine in general, few glitches in certain games. PS1, fine for certain games, Teken 3 and ff7 etc work OK iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back