Secret, Little Known and Hidden Places in Sunderland

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Really? I didn't know about the settlement.
As well as Get Carter and Alien 3 being filmed there did you know that the cover photo of Who's Next was also shot there?
Get carter was Blackhall, however, in the closing scenes the camera pans north and you can see dawdons towers in the distance. Not sure of who's next.

Ive also never heard of a Roman Fort at Fulwell.
Apart from the dam/bridge at South hylton I can't think of anything from Sunderland
This article mentions the Fulwell giant, a Roman soldier nine feet six inches tall.

L
The consensus of opinion appears to be that the Who's Next cover was shot at Easington.

Looks that way. The only tip in the dawdon area i can think of is the field immediately to the south of dawdon hill farm, which is now Hazel dene way. This field wes once part of Hazel dene, which was bridged to carry the self acting incline from hetton and murton to the docks. Also bridged to carry the road into dawdon pit, as well as the railways to the dock staithes from the pit. Lime kilns were built into the north side of the dene. After these closed it became landfill. They were still dumping when we moved there 73'

L
Looks that way. The only tip in the dawdon area i can think of is the field immediately to the south of dawdon hill farm, which is now Hazel dene way. This field wes once part of Hazel dene, which was bridged to carry the self acting incline from hetton and murton to the docks. Also bridged to carry the road into dawdon pit, as well as the railways to the dock staithes from the pit. Lime kilns were built into the north side of the dene. After these closed it became landfill. They were still dumping when we moved there 73'

No 18 I'm pretty sure ended its days parked up outside dawdons loco shed, then it was gone.
If you ever go back to noses point go into the cave at low tide. You can see where they shored it up before building the tippler. Some of the stone mined with the coal was too big to drop through the bottom doors, so they ran 1 truck at a time onto the tippler. The wheels were clamped then the whole truck was turned over to empty it into the hopper, hence the boulders around noses point. 3, might have been 4 fitters and an engineer were killed here during maintenance work when the tippler fell on them.

No 18 I'm pretty sure ended its days parked up outside dawdons loco shed, then it was gone.
If you ever go back to noses point go into the cave at low tide. You can see where they shored it up before building the tippler. Some of the stone mined with the coal was too big to drop through the bottom doors, so they ran 1 truck at a time onto the tippler. The wheels were clamped then the whole truck was turned over to empty it into the hopper, hence the boulders around noses point. 3, might have been 4 fitters and an engineer were killed here during maintenance work when the tippler fell on them.

Good news is that number 18 is alive and well at Beamish !

Yes, I found a huge map years ago and the railway from Hawthorn Junction over the bridge near the plank to Dawdon signalbox was called the "Blast Furnace Branch" because there was a blast furnace near the colliery.
There's a picture of the beach in 1980 here but in 1970 it was completely covered in wooden pit props and coal slurry. It looked like nothing on Earth.

Pic 9 and 15 on page 2 shows the red river.

Apparently The Who had played Newcastle the night before and were stuck for a cover for their new album. They went strite down the blast for a quick photo session, as you do.
Sunderland according to the insert available with the CD. Mayfair I think.
The consensus of opinion appears to be that the Who's Next cover was shot at Easington.

Just outside Sheffield according to the CD insert. They were travelling from Sunderland to London apparently.

Last edited:
The blast and coal.
Dawdon colliery had the most up to date coal preparation plant, or washery anywhere. Even grains of flour sized pieces of coal could be sucked out of the effluent via the froth flotation system. Light and heavy middlings were diverted to crushers to extract the coal from shale, then back round the system it went. However, there was a massive flaw in the system. There was nee crusher for the big stuff, so large pieces of coal, 'big roundies' went in the stone trucks then onto the beach. The sea and storms did the rest. I think it was the late 80s when a crusher was finally installed in the inspection house.

The blast and coal.
Dawdon colliery had the most up to date coal preparation plant, or washery anywhere. Even grains of flour sized pieces of coal could be sucked out of the effluent via the froth flotation system. Light and heavy middlings were diverted to crushers to extract the coal from shale, then back round the system it went. However, there was a massive flaw in the system. There was nee crusher for the big stuff, so large pieces of coal, 'big roundies' went in the stone trucks then onto the beach. The sea and storms did the rest. I think it was the late 80s when a crusher was finally installed in the inspection house.

Was this a specific gravity based system? They had (still have really) one of these at Broadwood mine near Frosterley.

Was this a specific gravity based system? They had (still have really) one of these at Broadwood mine near Frosterley.
It was. The washboxes had a series of gates. A torrent of water ran through and the raw coal was fed in via conveyor. Stone and shale didn't clear the first gate and was discarded. Heavy middlings hit the second gate and went to a crusher, then back to the washbox. Light middlings the third gate and to another crusher. The pure coal was carried straight through onto classifying screens. Singles and doubles went on to further screens to be separated and the small stuff went through centrifuges. The smallest got span out with the water to the froth plant, and bigger stuff fell through and went straight on to 'industrial smalls' bunkers for the power stations.
And i don't believe i can remember all this after nearly fottie years, but don't know whether i need a shite or a haircut.

I remember reading on here many years ago about the demolition of the Vaux Social Club/Bridge End Social Club which was housed in the old Co-op building to make way for St. Mary's Car Park. Someone claimed that during demolition, they discovered a Roman Mosaic below its cellar, but that it was quickly covered in. The Vaux site contained a road called Castle Street (the road the Brewery Tap was in). It is believed that it led to a Castle/Roman Fort overlooking the Wear.

There are a range of Roman sites in Sunderland referenced here;

Back