Secret, Little Known and Hidden Places in Sunderland

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date

Are there any maps out there showing the actual and probable Roman Roads in the Sunderland area?
Our lass takes the piss out of me with my obsession over maps and Roman Roads. :D
That link from Arcland about Roman remains being 12ft down below the present street level in Sunderland reminds me of a building site in the City of London I was working on. There was a ground floor, lower ground floor and basement, in the basement was a glass topped pit about 3ft deep with a Roman mosaic floor on display. I had to get in there and seal a couple of areas where water was seeping in with silicon sealant. While in there I disturbed a couple of bits of mosaic but skilfully replaced them back in position with a little drop of silicon sealant :lol:. I can just image in a few years time archaeologists being amazed that the Romans had the technology to make silicon sealant. :oops:

A mate of mine was working in London a few years back putting new gas main in and reckons they came across a skeleton in a brick crypt and they thought it was going to be a cholera pit and get the job shut down etc.. the archeologist came and took a few bones away but couldn't find the skull, and when he left they got told to carry on digging. The lad goes over to the JCB driver to tell him, and heres the driver smoking a tab using an upside down skull as an ashtray

Are there any maps out there showing the actual and probable Roman Roads in the Sunderland area?
Our lass takes the piss out of me with my obsession over maps and Roman Roads. :D
That link from Arcland about Roman remains being 12ft down below the present street level in Sunderland reminds me of a building site in the City of London I was working on. There was a ground floor, lower ground floor and basement, in the basement was a glass topped pit about 3ft deep with a Roman mosaic floor on display. I had to get in there and seal a couple of areas where water was seeping in with silicon sealant. While in there I disturbed a couple of bits of mosaic but skilfully replaced them back in position with a little drop of silicon sealant :lol:. I can just image in a few years time archaeologists being amazed that the Romans had the technology to make silicon sealant. :oops:

The Sunderland Antiquarian Society claims there is an alleged roman road which runs under grangetown along the coast towards South Shields, says there were cobbles discovered under a house at St. Aidans terrace.

Back