Secondary income

Yes that was what I thought was unfair about the scheme. Suppose your main employment was closed so you were put on furlough. You can still go out and do as much other work as you want as long as it isn't for your original employer.

Some people have profited through the pandemic by being paid furlough, then taking on something like a temp supermarket job and benefitted from two salaries coming in.
Yeah the whole system is wrong
all these exeptionally low paid have suffered with low pay and they are the ones who will be forced to help get the system back and running again

I sold something and the lass handed me some folded notes and was putting it in her car. She seemed dodgy so I checked the money and only half was there. I asked her where the rest was and she mumbled something about getting mixed up with something else she was buying and gave me the rest. I wondered how many other people she'd fleeced like that.
That reminds me of a bed I sold. I agreed delivery for an extra charge. Bloke came out of the house and went to get the bed out of the open back of the car. I stopped him and asked for the cash. He handed over cash less the delivery amount agreed and claimed his girlfriend hadn’t told him about that, she was out, and that was all he had on him.

It all fell apart when the girlfriend came out of the house to see what the delay was. He suddenly found the extra in his other pocket.

I’ve looked into a few things like dropshipping recently but so far haven’t found anything that I consider worth doing.

My mate earns a decentish amount every year visiting Nike outlets and re-selling on eBay. Others I know make cakes or small household items and make a little amount on the side.

That perfume thing is the latest one all the single mammys on my social media are into. Seems to have quietened down tho.

Can you actually have a second income and still be on furloughed
what about these people who work massive hours on low pay to make ends meet
no time to even have a second job
As far as i'm aware the official guidance from HMRC was that you are allowed to find other work whilst furloughed as long as you have the approval of your employer. A lad i work with used to do night shifts in a under 18 care centre before working with us. He has stayed on their payroll and picks up the occasional shift on a weekend. He says it pays for his holiday each year - fair enough.

He was furloughed from March - August last year and our employer gave him the green light to work at care centre full time while furloughed, as long as he committed to going back to occasional shifts when off furlough. Not bad eh.
So selling stuff on eBay is therefore tax free
Techincally yes - however it's an individuals responsibility to track how much they make. You can earn up to £1000 annually "on the side" without needing to declare it. Any more than that and you'd need to register for self assessment as it then becomes some self employed income. As soon as earnings within the year exceed 1k it then becomes taxable

Last edited:
As far as i'm aware the official guidance from HMRC was that you are allowed to find other work whilst furloughed as long as you have the approval of your employer. A lad i work with used to do night shifts in a under 18 care centre before working with us. He has stayed on their payroll and picks up the occasional shift on a weekend. He says it pays for his holiday each year - fair enough.

He was furloughed from March - August last year and our employer gave him the green light to work at care centre full time while furloughed, as long as he committed to going back to occasional shifts when off furlough. Not bad eh.

Techincally yes - however it's an individuals responsibility to track how much they make. You can earn up to £1000 annually "on the side" without needing to declare it. Any more than that and you'd need to register for self assessment as it then becomes some self employed income. As soon as earnings within the year exceed 1k it then becomes taxable
That’s not bad getting paid for now then working

Back