Search function isn't available

Solution
I will be downsizing the servers soon as I can't afford to continue to run the current ones. Before I can do that, I have to reduce the load on them further, so search has been restricted and guests and ad-blocking users who aren't contributors can no longer access it. This amounts to about 30% of the users here and search is one of the most demanding things the servers do.

If you aren't using an ad-blocker it shouldn't be happening. If you are, it is intentional.

@Lexingtongue the change isn't immediate, so if you are detected as an ad-blocking user it will take a while to switch back. If you continued to use your phone and not your desktop with adblocker it would be restored.
Just noticed this. I do have a message about adblockers restricting features: is this related? Even appears on my phone where I don't have one active.

I will be downsizing the servers soon as I can't afford to continue to run the current ones. Before I can do that, I have to reduce the load on them further, so search has been restricted and guests and ad-blocking users who aren't contributors can no longer access it. This amounts to about 30% of the users here and search is one of the most demanding things the servers do.

If you aren't using an ad-blocker it shouldn't be happening. If you are, it is intentional.

@Lexingtongue the change isn't immediate, so if you are detected as an ad-blocking user it will take a while to switch back. If you continued to use your phone and not your desktop with adblocker it would be restored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I will be downsizing the servers soon as I can't afford to continue to run the current ones. Before I can do that, I have to reduce the load on them further, so search has been restricted and guests and ad-blocking users can no longer access it. This amounts to about 30% of the users here and search is one of the most demanding things the servers do.

I've got my adblocker turned off on rtgsafc. Does this mean I have to delete the adblocker altogether :confused:

Last edited:
No, you don't need to remove it altogether, whitelisting RTG would be fine, but as noted above if you have just changed it, it will take a while before your user is marked as a non-adblocker again. It isn't instantaneous.

No, you don't need to remove it altogether, whitelisting RTG would be fine, but as noted above if you have just changed it, it will take a while before your user is marked as a non-adblocker again. It isn't instantaneous.
Are you sure about this, Roger? I've whitelisted SMB but I'm still getting a huge bar along the bottom of my page and no adverts are showing. How long do changes usually take to kick in?
Over 24 hours since I added SMB to my whitelist and still getting that annoying bar on my laptop. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Scrap that. I figured out the problem. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Scrap that. I figured out the problem. 👍

Do you mind sharing?

That message isn't from RTG and I can see from your screenshot that you have the "Search" function, so clearly the RTG Server didn't detect any ad-blocking software - but I am curious as to where the message did come from!

Do you mind sharing?

That message isn't from RTG and I can see from your screenshot that you have the "Search" function, so clearly the RTG Server didn't detect any ad-blocking software - but I am curious as to where the message did come from!
I noticed I had ad-block plus in the background as well as the regular ad block. Once I disabled plus it worked as normal. Should I be worried about that bar? Sound ominous... :lol:

I noticed I had ad-block plus in the background as well as the regular ad block. Once I disabled plus it worked as normal. Should I be worried about that bar? Sound ominous... :lol:

I wouldn't worry about it. Just I wanted to know where it was from myself - I suspect one of our ad-providers is pushing it out, but they really shouldn't be doing so and I would like to get to the bottom of it. It's not something I have ever seen and I frequently test with ad-blockers etc.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just I wanted to know where it was from myself - I suspect one of our ad-providers is pushing it out, but they really shouldn't be doing so and I would like to get to the bottom of it. It's not something I have ever seen and I frequently test with ad-blockers etc.
I did a quick search and found this:

Not sure if it will help? It was pretty frustrating getting to the bottom of it. :lol: I'm not having much luck with ads on here recently, am I?

It’s voice automated now. Just double tap on the screen and say the thread title you want to locate.

i.e showering with dog.

It works best in a crowded location.

Back