Seaburn Roker - different breed

Yup

Whitburn isn't in Sunderland though

Didn't know that! What was it called before?

Fulwell, which was a town in it's own right until 1928(ish). Southwick and Fulwell were bribed to acquiesce to Sunderland with the promise of a new hospital (Monkwearmouth) and swimming pool (Newcastle Road). Southwick town hall is still standing. They even opened a train station in 1937 and called it Seaburn, even though it's nowhere near the place.

Postcodes were done in the late 60's, and they were trying to align them to upcoming LA boundary changes. Cleadon and Whitburn were going to be part of Sunderland (as were Seaham and Peterlee) but this would have left South Tyneside with a population of less than 100k (and unable to be a MBC) so they hived it off to them. This led to accusations that Sunderland would be very Labour dominated so they hived off the mining villages of East Durham and took Houghton and Washington instead (and hence the fuck up with lots of different postcodes in Sunderland). I read all this in a book written by a council pen pusher who retired about 15 years ago after spending his working life in local government so cannit verify it personally. Will look for the book though.

These are the streets with the most expensive houses in Wearside

The only mention of seaburn here is it's "gated high walled" community 'the square'

Traditionally ashbrooke is the place to live. :lol::lol::lol:
The only ambition the sr6 lot have is living in cleadon.

Argyle Square? I've always wanted to live there mind.

Fulwell, which was a town in it's own right until 1928(ish). Southwick and Fulwell were bribed to acquiesce to Sunderland with the promise of a new hospital (Monkwearmouth) and swimming pool (Newcastle Road). Southwick town hall is still standing. They even opened a train station in 1937 and called it Seaburn, even though it's nowhere near the place.

Postcodes were done in the late 60's, and they were trying to align them to upcoming LA boundary changes. Cleadon and Whitburn were going to be part of Sunderland (as were Seaham and Peterlee) but this would have left South Tyneside with a population of less than 100k (and unable to be a MBC) so they hived it off to them. This led to accusations that Sunderland would be very Labour dominated so they hived off the mining villages of East Durham and took Houghton and Washington instead (and hence the fuck up with lots of different postcodes in Sunderland). I read all this in a book written by a council pen pusher who retired about 15 years ago after spending his working life in local government so cannit verify it personally. Will look for the book though.

Argyle Square? I've always wanted to live there mind.
Easy to get your skag if you live there.

Easy to get your skag if you live there.
I lived in fulwell for 14 years when I was struggling with money then I moved over to ashbrooke. Lived here 5 year and can honestly say it loads better than sr6. Leafy streets, quiet, traffic loads easier to navigate. Parking a dream and tbf pubs and people are loads better. Still own me house in fulwell so if things go tits up a may end up back there.

I lived in fulwell for 14 years when I was struggling with money then I moved over to ashbrooke. Lived here 5 year and can honestly say it loads better than sr6. Leafy streets, quiet, traffic loads easier to navigate. Parking a dream and tbf pubs and people are loads better. Still own me house in fulwell so if things go tits up a may end up back there.

Why would you live in Fulwell if you were skint? Property prices are on average £13k more than Ashbrooke.

Sunderland house prices in maps and graphs.

Bought the house in fulwell from the father in law.

When we bought a house in Sunderland our lass was keen on moving to Barnes way (it's where she grew up). Schools round there weren't the best though so we opted for the Riviera. Coincedently one of the schools that used to be average (St Mary's) is now the top rated school!

Think Lauren Laverne has a gaff in Seaburn like.

Her parents live next door to me in Fulwell.

Lauren, her husband and two kids stop at her folks' place when she visits Sunderland (still doesn't mean she hasn't got property here too of course).

Oh, and definitely nee pics!

Back