Seaburn All Weather Shelter

Scandalous that the Labour council are planning to sell a much used,long standing and useful facility on the seafront opposite Seaburn hotel.Apparently a petition with over 1000 signatures has been handed in against the sell off.If they want a cafe/kiosk there ,there is a small piece of grassed land adjacent to it which would be ideal but leave this well used structure with character well alone please.Scandalous.

Has to be a wind up. :lol:

Councillor Peter Wood would never be on a wind up. Isn’t that right @Roker End 1976
A councillor wouldn't be foolish enough to do anonymous campaigning and mud slinging in the run up to an election because the Electoral Commission take a dim view of it.
A previous candidate had to leave the board after falling foul of this.
It would be a rather silly candidate who thought he was clever enough to hide his identity, no matter how much he looks down on the electorate.

It's likely to be sympathetically restored the same way the Town Hall was
I don’t mean to be rude but what relevance has that got to this proposal? As far as I am aware there was no attempt by the council then to sympathetically restore the old town hall merely sell it.

more so that decision was taken over 50 years ago. Presumably not a single person involved works for the council or as a councillor?

there is at least now plans to restore some of the historic buildings in Sunderland such as elephant tea rooms, Mackies corner, properties down HSW, Londonderry/peacocks, Dun Cow.
I agree with him. It’s a free space to take shelter, it serves a community purpose. It wasn’t designed to be a dreary hipster restaurant.

There are lots of traders already offering a range of food and drink on the Seaburn / Roker seafront.

If it’s simply a shelter that is required they could construct much more economical shelter facilities across the sea front and still redevelop the tram shelter.

Last edited:
I don’t mean to be rude but what relevance has that got to this proposal? As far as I am aware there was no attempt by the council then to sympathetically restore the old town hall merely sell it.

more so that decision was taken over 50 years ago. Presumably not a single person involved works for the council or as a councillor?

there is at least now plans to restore some of the historic buildings in Sunderland such as elephant tea rooms, Mackies corner, properties down HSW, Londonderry/peacocks, Dun Cow.

If it’s simply a shelter that is required they could construct much more economical shelter facilities across the sea front and still redevelop the tram shelter.
He's being a wee tinker. It's completely irrelevant.

None whatsoever, why do you ask ?

I ask as you made comment ‘It's likely to be sympathetically restored the same way the Town Hall was’ making an assertion that it won’t be sympathetically restored because what happened at the town hall. You made the link not I.
Made the link ? I made it up, if that what you mean - you got a tender in for it or something ?

Made the link ? I made it up, if that what you mean - you got a tender in for it or something ?
No not at all. Im easy either way if it happens or not but will be a shame if it doesn’t.

If you made it up then fine I just didnt understand the rationale to liken something which happened over 50 years ago.

Back