Seaburn All Weather Shelter

If they were doing nowt with it he'd slag then off for their inaction. Blokes a weirdo if it's that tory oddball who used to post on here years ago.
If the council did build something on the adjacent grass he mentioned, let's be honest, he'd be frothing about that too.

I've no idea why this shelter is suddenly sacred.

Scandalous that the Labour council are planning to sell a much used,long standing and useful facility on the seafront opposite Seaburn hotel.Apparently a petition with over 1000 signatures has been handed in against the sell off.If they want a cafe/kiosk there ,there is a small piece of grassed land adjacent to it which would be ideal but leave this well used structure with character well alone please.Scandalous.
So that leaves around 276,000 in Sunderland who are not against it.

Scandalous ffs :lol:

Provided most of the original features/architecture are retained, then I think its a decent idea.

I live nearby, and whilst It does get some use as a shelter, i'd struggle to say its "much used". I went past it today with the dog and there was no one in either side.

I would imagine it will get a lot more use as a cafe/restaurant, and it will certainly attract more people to the area.

Change is inevitable, embrace it as a positive.

Provided most of the original features/architecture are retained, then I think its a decent idea.

I live nearby, and whilst It does get some use as a shelter, i'd struggle to say its "much used". I went past it today with the dog and there was no one in either side.

I would imagine it will get a lot more use as a cafe/restaurant, and it will certainly attract more people to the area.

Change is inevitable, embrace it as a positive.

I'd agree with this. Its a historic structure and it would be nice to keep it, but it is possible to develop buildings sympathetically and retain a lot of the original features and character.

A cafe on the grass adjacent to it would probably do more damage to the appearance than a good development of the existing building.

Scandalous that the Labour council are planning to sell a much used,long standing and useful facility on the seafront opposite Seaburn hotel.Apparently a petition with over 1000 signatures has been handed in against the sell off.If they want a cafe/kiosk there ,there is a small piece of grassed land adjacent to it which would be ideal but leave this well used structure with character well alone please.Scandalous.

It's being sympathetically restored to what it was

I thought it was listed and the main features do have to be retained.

it has been used loads through lockdown(s) for people meeting out drinking like scratters (including me and my mates)

Scandalous that a little used, poorly maintained magnet for under-age drinkers and scratters is being sympathetically restored and developed to provide yet another job creating, leisure opportunity for our coastal regeneration? Ri-i-i-i-i-i-i-g-h-t.

Isnt the income generated going to support the Seaburn trust. So the council are selling it to the trust and leasing the space to businesses.

Income generated from the lease and operation of the redeveloped storage shelter and toilet block, and in the next phase, the former tram shelter, will support the Sunderland Seafront Trust, which operates the Roker Pier and Lighthouse tours and will run a broad range of events and activities.

image of proposal on here:

Isnt the income generated going to support the Seaburn trust. So the council are selling it to the trust and leasing the space to businesses.

Income generated from the lease and operation of the redeveloped storage shelter and toilet block, and in the next phase, the former tram shelter, will support the Sunderland Seafront Trust, which operates the Roker Pier and Lighthouse tours and will run a broad range of events and activities.

image of proposal on here:

yet another one in the eye for the Sandies. WDSC.

It’s a dump. Pull it down for me.

Back