Sea Trout run

Just seen a couple of canny ones jumping the rapids at New Bridge between Wolsi and Frosterley. Decent flood running anarl.
Wear at one time was classed as one of the best sea-trout rivers in England,might still be,used to love sitting on the banks at night listening to the fish jumping.Lots of poaching went on back then,bailiffs always around,does that still go on or not as much?

There was a healthy poaching scene in the 70-80s when I was growing up. I remember fishing on southwick prom and there was nearly always a net in against the wall.
My dad fished a drift net legally for a big chunk of my childhood and the amount of fish poached by everyone was probably larger than the ones landed legally. That was by some of the licence holders too.

Wear at one time was classed as one of the best sea-trout rivers in England,might still be,used to love sitting on the banks at night listening to the fish jumping.Lots of poaching went on back then,bailiffs always around,does that still go on or not as much?
Not sure mate. I havnt fished the river for a few years now. No free time.

There was a healthy poaching scene in the 70-80s when I was growing up. I remember fishing on southwick prom and there was nearly always a net in against the wall.
My dad fished a drift net legally for a big chunk of my childhood and the amount of fish poached by everyone was probably larger than the ones landed legally. That was by some of the licence holders too.
I used to have a net out sometimes as a kid,used to check it while doing my paper-round before school late summer,even back then I used to get a £1 a Lb for salmon.

The most I’ve ever seen was in Bellingham about 25 years ago. We were doing the Pennine Way and stayed on a farm campsite. We took the back path from the pub back to the campsite and I remember it being a full moon and very bright. The surface of the river was alive with trout there were so many of them.

The Wear is back to decent runs of seatrout and salmon thankfully, they will be loving this rain so expect some good runs this week. I don't think any salmon / seatrout drift net licenses are approved for operation into and around the Wear this year but I could be wrong.

Back