Sea glass of the beaches.

Is it worth out or does it depend on colour, got a few bits of blue.
You see bags on eBay but unless it’s something really unique a couple of odd bits aren’t going to be worth much.

I went out on Seaham beach with my Mam before she sold up and moved away for old time’s sake. We used to go collecting “jewels” there when we were kids. We got a few nice pieces, but the memories are the thing which to me will be priceless.

Is it worth out or does it depend on colour, got a few bits of blue.

Colour, shape & size. Even the boring white ones can be worth something if they're a decent size.

A few years ago, I made a decent amount selling it to the yanks on ebay. But sometimes was a bit hit & miss. You'd get periods where it went for modest amounts & others it got a bit silly with 3 or 4 bidders fighting over it.

Used to be loads on Seaham beach coz of the old Botleys. I never knew why it was called that growing up and never questioned it. Just used to say gannin to the Botleys to play footy.

No, but if you're so inclined you can make stuff out of it which people might pay a bit for.

There's a woman at Tynemouth market who sells jewellry she's made from sea glass.

No idea if she makes a decent living from it.

There are people (allegedly) that have their own buffing machines that do the same as the sea in that they prpduce a "washing machine " effect that brings the "sea glass " to a natural shine ...it's then put on a green baize and sold .Thats what I was once told over a beer or two at a wedding

Back