SD on Talksport Podcast this Thursday

What we need is a football man making the football decisions, coton and hill just seem to be giving him quite basic advice of who's available and how much they'll cost, we need someone who can say what their skills are and what they'll bring to the team, it looks a bit Sunday league just going off the STID.

What do you think the blueprint is our of interest? I think the only thing that you could consider a success so far is getting the costs down. A cash injection is at complete odds with this and counter acts the work done.

100 million spent on this club would be this club in 200 million pound debt with the current ownership. Imo there.
i think there is a bluebrit..in the very geeral sense..but crucially..its not just that the execution of the blue print has been incompetet, it has, but its also that the structure needed to make the blueprint effective hast been there either..
more cash with this structure would just be like pouring water into a bucket that has a hole in it..
What we need is a football man making the football decisions, coton and hill just seem to be giving him quite basic advice of who's available and how much they'll cost, we need someone who can say what their skills are and what they'll bring to the team, it looks a bit Sunday league just going off the STID.
how do you know what advice coton and hill are giving him? what we do know is that donald doest listen to them..which is the bigger problem..

I’d be happy enough for him to stay if he had the financial clout of FPP behind him.

If he can’t attract serious additional investment though he has to move on.

this is about right imho, decent enough bloke but out of his depth at a club like ours. The jump from Eastleigh to Sunderland is just too big. Eastleigh to Accrington would be more appropriate. He admits it himself he is very very lucky to be here. Now he needs to find money fast or the fans will put him in his barrow and wheel him out of Sunderland.

Also the call for them to leave just before the transfer window opened.... well that was just bloody stupid and rather self indulgent by the fan groups. Totally killed any chance of investment that window and is now likely the reason behind the delay to wage negotiations for players.
Well said Stew 😀

this is about right imho, decent enough bloke but out of his depth at a club like ours. The jump from Eastleigh to Sunderland is just too big. Eastleigh to Accrington would be more appropriate. He admits it himself he is very very lucky to be here. Now he needs to find money fast or the fans will put him in his barrow and wheel him out of Sunderland.
accrington is a far smaller cljub than sunderland...

sunderlands non parachute payment related turover was less than £15m whe SD arrived (its gone way above that now thanks to him)
the turnover of the holding company for many of Stewarts businesses had a turnover in its last accounts of £14m..

safc isnt a bigger business than he is used to..its that he is crap at making football decisions..and he would be crap making them at any level..because he isnt qualified, and worse, igores what the qualified people tell him.
he should have appoited a directior of football when he came..let them do the football..while SD concentrated on growing the business..
I just don’t subscribe to the viewpoint that because we’re Sunderland we have no right to be where we are. We’ve been ran abysmally for decades (see Kieran Brady’s open letter last year), full of freeloaders on and off the pitch. The chickens have come home to roost big style now and we’re going to be like a juggernaut without power steering to turn around.

I think Donald and Methven have set us off on the right track to becoming a properly run business and have the right blueprint for the club going forward. They clearly don’t have a pot to piss in though, hence why I’d like to see what they could achieve with some real financial backing.
have you got a link to bradys letter please?
Statement now on SAFC.Com

More PR
would you prefer he did an ellis..almost take the club to bankruptcy relegate it twice and never communicate?

Last edited:
i think there is a bluebrit..in the very geeral sense..but crucially..its not just that the execution of the blue print has been incompetet, it has, but its also that the structure needed to make the blueprint effective hast been there either..
more cash with this structure would just be like pouring water into a bucket that has a hole in it..

how do you know what advice coton and hill are giving him? what we do know is that donald doest listen to them..which is the bigger problem..

I have no idea what the blueprint is, to be honest?

Is it self funding? Ok then, a loan or "investment" or cash injection is the absolute opposite of self-funding, it increases debt.

Is it to be promoted by any means necessary? If so, we are going to lose a lot of money in the division above, if we ever get there.

Is it to run off the momentum that fans and club being "together" creates? Too late for that.

What exactly is the plan here? If Methvan is to be believed he is the guy provide the big picture, well he has supposedly left. He is aware that clubs lose a shit ton of money in the championship, money that they cant foot the bill for. Are they seriously expecting an investor to foot the bill so these lads can play at being football owners? It's insane.

I have no idea what the blueprint is, to be honest?

Is it self funding? Ok then, a loan or "investment" or cash injection is the absolute opposite of self-funding, it increases debt.

Is it to be promoted by any means necessary? If so, we are going to lose a lot of money in the division above, if we ever get there.

Is it to run off the momentum that fans and club being "together" creates? Too late for that.

What exactly is the plan here? If Methvan is to be believed he is the guy provide the big picture, well he has supposedly left. He is aware that clubs lose a shit ton of money in the championship, money that they cant foot the bill for. Are they seriously expecting an investor to foot the bill so these lads can play at being football owners? It's insane.
was never intended to be self funding..they budgted for a loss last year and made a loss.
cash injection doest increase debt uless its done in the form of a loan..you can simply increase the amount of equituy and buy that...there is then no debt.

My reckoning is safc lost £2m at the operzting level in the first year of ownership (£22m running costs vs £20m of income) .to get to the statutiry level (ie the number the taxman cares about) you then have to consider one-off costs..such as trabsfer fees paid and recieved..legacy transfer fees paid...any legal settlements and costs that may have arisen...and any fees paid to players who were leaving to get them to leave..reducay paymenrts to departing staff (did bain get a big cheque?)
that level of loss..given the size of the transfer spend..was more than enough to get a team promoted from this league..they didnt do it because while the structure of the commercial department was good...the structure of the football department was abysmal..

alos those £22m of costs..the number is lower than it would be in reality..ie if another owner came in..thats because..two chunks of the costs taken out were the removal of the ceo role and the director of change role..with donald methven and fox doing those roles between themselves..fox's wage for his work at safc is apparently bbeing paud by donald's other businesses...as is the wage of one of the marketing people they brought in (beuiung paid for by foxdos..donalds poperty business) a new owner would have to find a way to fund those five peoples replacements..so the costs are actually higher...thats one of the ways they are putting money in..

The next owner should learn from SD that he can't possibly be open with the fans, because when things don't go right on the pitch it'll be twisted against you. Needs to go back to an Ellis Short type detachment.
Be open with the fans. Keep them at arms length. It doesn’t really matter. What does matter is competence. The next owners need to be competent - that’s it. Hopefully the fanbase have got their heads straight on that to be able to hold them to account.

Be open with the fans. Keep them at arms length. It doesn’t really matter. What does matter is competence. The next owners need to be competent - that’s it. Hopefully the fanbase have got their heads straight on that to be able to hold them to account.

Of course competence matters to results. I'm talking about relationship with the fans, if the next owner allows the fans in, he'll get it thrown back at him the minute things sour, as they naturally will in football. How often are long term owners popular with fans of the club?

Exactly. That's wrong, then being diplomatic is wrong. It's like people have made their minds up and that's it, nothing can be right now.

Reeks of 'southern bastards coming up here and telling us how to run our club, how dare they'

The next lot will be treated exactly the same. The support is toxic now, there's no other word for it. We might pat ourselves on the back at Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden but for most of the season we're the mags with less patience.

Why dont you take your support elsewhere, that post f***ing stinks of hate towards our support. Its nothing to do with Southern bastards, its all to do with how they have fucked it up, are you that blind?

Of course competence matters to results. I'm talking about relationship with the fans, if the next owner allows the fans in, he'll get it thrown back at him the minute things sour, as they naturally will in football. How often are long term owners popular with fans of the club?
That’s not what I said. Competence is what matters in the fans relationship to the owners. It’s the most important thing by far. Everything else - silence, gushing podcasts, whatever - pales into insignificance. Given the choice I’d personally prefer openness. However I’d gladly never hear from the owners again if they would only show some intelligence, vision and evidence that they had the first clue what they were doing.

Still have no idea why some people think a bloke who failed at Eastleigh could come and be successful here.

If you took a shite Eastleigh player and stuck him in our team he’d look shite and would be found out quite quickly. We’ve took a shite Eastleigh owner and stuck the twat on the top table using £25m of our own money to do it - and he’s been found out quickly. f***ing joke like.

That’s not what I said. Competence is what matters in the fans relationship to the owners. It’s the most important thing by far. Everything else - silence, gushing podcasts, whatever - pales into insignificance. Given the choice I’d personally prefer openness. However I’d gladly never hear from the owners again if they would only show some intelligence, vision and evidence that they had the first clue what they were doing.

Tell me about Bob Murrays popularity 3 years after leading the club to back to back highest place finishes since the war, with a european golden boot and a brand new cost effective stadium thrown in for good measure.

People have short memories, and you can't pick your owner. I think we should take a longer view and not judge SD on the fact that we lost a playoff final rather than won it.

Tell me about Bob Murrays popularity 3 years after leading the club to back to back highest place finishes since the war, with a european golden boot and a brand new cost effective stadium thrown in for good measure.

People have short memories, and you can't pick your owner. I think we should take a longer view and not judge SD on the fact that we lost a playoff final rather than won it.
If your view of his performance is that simplistic then you’re part of the problem.

Back