*~*~* Scunthorpe v Sunderland match thread *~*~*

What was the reaction in the stands towards and at FT?

There were one or two individual outbursts at certain players as the match progressed - Power got pelters after being beaten to the ball then a couple of minutes later pulling out of a tackle - but it was generally shaking of the heads and quiet grumblings between neighbours then growing frustration at how shit it all was rather than a huge meltdown.

I was out of the ground before the final whistle blew so dunno what the reaction was at the end, I read on Facebook the ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ chant got an airing but can’t confirm that.

There were one or two individual outbursts at certain players as the match progressed - Power got pelters after being beaten to the ball then a couple of minutes later pulling out of a tackle - but it was generally shaking of the heads and quiet grumblings between neighbours then growing frustration at how shit it all was rather than a huge meltdown.

I was out of the ground before the final whistle blew so dunno what the reaction was at the end, I read on Facebook the ‘not fit to wear the shirt’ chant got an airing but can’t confirm that.
It did

The players that are so obviously apathetic, and overweight, are showing a total lack of regard, for themselves, as professional footballers, for the manager, the supporters, and for the club that they're supposedly representing.
It's absolutely staggering, and a sad indication, of how far our club, and it's standards, have fallen, that the porkers, are allowed to play for our club, in their bloated condition. :evil:

I am very fortunate to get the opportunity to meet players etc.
Will share something with you from last season that never left my mind. We had a night out last season with a few players, took kids along, sit down meal etc.
What struck me was the players were drinking pints and sorry if you are an athlete that is not good, even more concerning this in front of Supporters.
Roll the clock forward those players, that I will not name are no longer at the club and none of them are playing at a higher level in fact are at clubs not doing so well.
A few weeks back a similar evening and no alcohol at all. The players are so fit this year and not been since the days of Di Canio.
It shows in our performances. One player, again not going to name was left behind for the pre season tour and put on the transfer list due to a breach of the rules. Now back playing superbly and looks like the player he should be.

Basically we have a Manager that does not fuck about, we have players that care and our club is moving forward. We have an awful injury list but despite this remain 3rd in the league.
Fat Boy Maguire would be booted out of Swindon and sadly this is where your club appears to be right now.
I will guarantee it won’t last forever. Plenty of periods where I have resented our crop of shite but right now with the right Manager in place we are moving forward once again. My fear and without doubt he will be approached. Has been already but he has vowed to try and get us up this season.
Stay strong mate I know how you are feeling as been there myself.

I am very fortunate to get the opportunity to meet players etc.
Will share something with you from last season that never left my mind. We had a night out last season with a few players, took kids along, sit down meal etc.
What struck me was the players were drinking pints and sorry if you are an athlete that is not good, even more concerning this in front of Supporters.
Roll the clock forward those players, that I will not name are no longer at the club and none of them are playing at a higher level in fact are at clubs not doing so well.
A few weeks back a similar evening and no alcohol at all. The players are so fit this year and not been since the days of Di Canio.
It shows in our performances. One player, again not going to name was left behind for the pre season tour and put on the transfer list due to a breach of the rules. Now back playing superbly and looks like the player he should be.

Basically we have a Manager that does not fuck about, we have players that care and our club is moving forward. We have an awful injury list but despite this remain 3rd in the league.
Fat Boy Maguire would be booted out of Swindon and sadly this is where your club appears to be right now.
I will guarantee it won’t last forever. Plenty of periods where I have resented our crop of shite but right now with the right Manager in place we are moving forward once again. My fear and without doubt he will be approached. Has been already but he has vowed to try and get us up this season.
Stay strong mate I know how you are feeling as been there myself.
Our club is a mess, from top to bottom right now, and, so long as certain individuals are allowed to get away with their "couldn't give a fuck" attitude, the longer, the club, and team will struggle.
I agree, totally with what you're saying, btw.
We need somebody who'd command the respect of the players.
Somebody who wouldn't stand, for their pisstaking.
Roy Keane, wasn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but he wasn't scared to discard, any player who breached club rules.
We had a vital, mid day, away game at Barnsley, in our promotion season, and there were around 9,000 Sunderland fans there, and news filtered through that three of our players, hadn't turned up on time, to board the team bus, so he left them behind, and we played and won the game without the three players.
In training, the following week, all three players, were remorseful and apologetic, but Keane had made his point.
Take the piss, at your peril.
The incident was quickly dealt with and all three players, were back in the squad, for the next game.
The fatties and the slackers, would be out on their arses, under a stronger manager.

Best of luck to your lads, at Swindon, for the rest of the season.
Keep us updated on how things are going, mate.

Our club is a mess, from top to bottom right now, and, so long as certain individuals are allowed to get away with their "couldn't give a fuck" attitude, the longer, the club, and team will struggle.
I agree, totally with what you're saying, btw.
We need somebody who'd command the respect of the players.
Somebody who wouldn't stand, for their pisstaking.
Roy Keane, wasn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but he wasn't scared to discard, any player who breached club rules.
We had a vital, mid day, away game at Barnsley, in our promotion season, and there were around 9,000 Sunderland fans there, and news filtered through that three of our players, hadn't turned up on time, to board the team bus, so he left them behind, and we played and won the game without the three players.
In training, the following week, all three players, were remorseful and apologetic, but Keane had made his point.
Take the piss, at your peril.
The incident was quickly dealt with and all three players, were back in the squad, for the next game.
The fatties and the slackers, would be out on their arses, under a stronger manager.

Best of luck to your lads, at Swindon, for the rest of the season.
Keep us updated on how things are going, mate.

Top Man.
As you know I have been posting on this forum for a few years now.
Some unbelievable parallels with us but make no mistake you are a very big club.
At times like this you see the in house fighting from fans as the frustration boils over. It’s sickening mate and shows people care, they have passion but above all people may declare they no longer care but they do.
Your support is incredible and your fortunes will get better.
Have thought that your current owners gambled on a first season promotion that would secure a large payout / opportunity. The black ball came in white and now they are searching a plan B that was never given much thought.

Top Man.
As you know I have been posting on this forum for a few years now.
Some unbelievable parallels with us but make no mistake you are a very big club.
At times like this you see the in house fighting from fans as the frustration boils over. It’s sickening mate and shows people care, they have passion but above all people may declare they no longer care but they do.
Your support is incredible and your fortunes will get better.
Have thought that your current owners gambled on a first season promotion that would secure a large payout / opportunity. The black ball came in white and now they are searching a plan B that was never given much thought..
Well said, and cheers SOT. 👍
I've been going to home and away games, for nigh on 50 years, and will keep going to support the Lads, for as long as is possible.
My mates are the same, and our average, age group is from 50 to 65.
Only a few of my mates, were privileged (and old enough) to be at Wembley to see us beat Leeds, to win the FA Cup, in 1973, and since then, (apart from regular promotions) we've seen, no real success, at Sunderland.
We've seen far too many, false dawns, and relegations, which, for a club the size of ours, is a disgrace.
I can't remember, the amount of times, I've left the ground, at Roker Park, and the SOL, thinking, that's me done, with this club, but come the weekend, and I'm there with my mates, cheering the Lads on, as usual.
Supporting this club, (like you do at Swindon), isn't just hobby, it's a way of life, and when I sing, I'm Sunland til I die, I really mean it.
Only death, or serious illness/injury, will prevent me, and thousands of others, from turning up, come rain, hail, or shine, shit or shambolic, to support the Lads..
I could think of a hundred, different things, I could do with my time, on a Satda, but none could ever be better, than being with my mates, at the SOL, and in the pub, before and after a game, talking about all things SAFC.
We will rise up again, someday, and I hope I'll still be around, if and when, the good times, do eventually return to SAFC.

Well said, and cheers SOT. 👍
I've been going to home and away games, for nigh on 50 years, and will keep going to support the Lads, for as long as is possible.
My mates are the same, and our average, age group is from 50 to 65.
Only a few of my mates, were privileged (and old enough) to be at Wembley to see us beat Leeds, to win the FA Cup, in 1973, and since then, (apart from regular promotions) we've seen, no real success, at Sunderland.
We've seen far too many, false dawns, and relegations, which, for a club the size of ours, is a disgrace.
I can't remember, the amount of times, I've left the ground, at Roker Park, and the SOL, thinking, that's me done, with this club, but come the weekend, and I'm there with my mates, cheering the Lads on, as usual.
Supporting this club, (like you do at Swindon), isn't just hobby, it's a way of life, and when I sing, I'm Sunland til I die, I really mean it.
Only death, or serious illness/injury, will prevent me, and thousands of others, from turning up, come rain, hail, or shine, shit or shambolic, to support the Lads..
I could think of a hundred, different things, I could do with my time, on a Satda, but none could ever be better, than being with my mates, at the SOL, and in the pub, before and after a game, talking about all things SAFC.
We will rise up again, someday, and I hope I'll still be around, if and when, the good times, do eventually return to SAFC.

A proper Supporter and what a fantastic post.
I remember the 1973 Cup Final as a young kid around my mates house watching it on TV. Hadn’t found Hell (STFC) then as that came 2 years later.

It’s a religion to me as well Mate.
New ground Saturday and both kids going with me by train. Can have a few beers for once. Boycott the Mickey Mouse Cup since they allowed the PL academy teams in, wish they would bin the complete thing. Lost tonight and glad we are out making 9 changes from last week.

Went to ever home and away last season including cups and so far not missed one this season. Should have been one of you :).
Let’s keep taking those tablets and even the Samaritans wouldn’t help us now.

We just need to play each other. Would love that.

A proper Supporter and what a fantastic post.
I remember the 1973 Cup Final as a young kid around my mates house watching it on TV. Hadn’t found Hell (STFC) then as that came 2 years later.

It’s a religion to me as well Mate.
New ground Saturday and both kids going with me by train. Can have a few beers for once. Boycott the Mickey Mouse Cup since they allowed the PL academy teams in, wish they would bin the complete thing. Lost tonight and glad we are out making 9 changes from last week.

Went to ever home and away last season including cups and so far not missed one this season. Should have been one of you :).
Let’s keep taking those tablets and even the Samaritans wouldn’t help us now.

We just need to play each other. Would love that.
It would be a cracking day, for sure.
Respect to you for your devotion to your team.
Every home and away game, in a season, is some going.
You deserve a medal, the size of a dustbin lid 👍
I'd say you have more money, than sense, but then again, following our respective teams, through shit and more shit, is a decision we make, definitely not based on sound or sensible judgement.
We do it out of blind love for our clubs.

I remember hitchhiking to Swindon, for a league cup match, in the 80's.
It was a helluva hike, and took me 26 hours to get there for a night kick off, and further 30 hours to get home.
A proper ten day, camel ride, and it pissed down too, and we got beat.
The things we do for love ! 🙄 (Also a 10cc song)

Back