screwfix no nonsense decking oil

At least you have your boards the right way up :cool:
The way that water sits in the grooves and turns to algae ? Instead of allowing airflow around and under the frame joists ?
Smooth side is the way to go that’s why I’m using scaffolding boards you can sand them if they get to bad they are also 4m long and twice the width at half the price

Last edited:
The way that water sits in the grooves and turns to algae ? Instead of allowing airflow around and under the frame joists ?
Smooth side is the way to go that’s why I’m using scaffolding boards you can sand them if they get to bad they are also 4m long and twice the width at half the price
When I worked in the timber trade the decking boards we used to produce had a castle effect (grooves) one side and a reed effect on the other, both was acceptable as the right way up depending on the pattern you preferred.
The smooth side is for people that want zero cleaning maintenance and you might as well buy normal planed timber and get it pressure treated.
It‘ll be slippery as fuck then it rains though algae or no algae.

I bought ronseal decking stain. £42, wouldn't have been aa bad if it was only half a tub as the rest was taken up by a full on brush and handle 😀 probably need another run, without the brush this time
I've been wondering if you can paint, then seal it with a waterproofer. I've painted it on my fence panels, its its amazing how waterproof they are, water just beads off - apparently lasts 10 years. Not cheap, but if you do it once and then never again, it'll be worth it easily
I know, blame the Internet most of the proper sites tell you to leave a gap. It all depends on the moisture in your wood. Mine is bone dry so I've only left a little gap ie 1-2mm. I'm expecting it to widen

Last edited:
Some brands are even exactly the same just in different cheaper packaging to save money hence why they are cheaper
Exactly.
Some brands find that INCREASING their price increases sales too - people consider it a premium product, and if that's what they're looking for, then they've "found" it.
Brands even license out their name - so there's stuff with labels on them that aren't even made by those companies anymore, or to the same standards.
You cannot use brand names or price as a mark of quality these days.
Try Schaeffer's New Zealand Style deck sealant and caulk

Post is too good - people will miss this :lol:
Deck sucker. Fuck me :lol:

Last edited:
Post is too good - people will miss this :lol:
Deck sucker. Fuck me :lol:
I only watched bits of the 1st one which I originally posted before I'd posted it and then realised there was a compilation so edited the video in my post but couldn't edit the text quick enough before the 5 mins was up

I watched it all after and was creased at the big black caulk, the deck hardener, deck pics. The bit about his Mam's deck and his Dad loving it more but getting rid of it with deck remover and the expression on his face anarl as he'd seen the photos! :lol::lol: I even cringed with laughter at the kids love his deck bit :lol:

If people want a laugh to start the day then watch this

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking of chucking mine on the bonfire - I'm really not sure what purpose it serves other than shagging my knees every summer

I think the hedgehog lives under there like

When I worked in the timber trade the decking boards we used to produce had a castle effect (grooves) one side and a reed effect on the other, both was acceptable as the right way up depending on the pattern you preferred.
The smooth side is for people that want zero cleaning maintenance and you might as well buy normal planed timber and get it pressure treated.
It‘ll be slippery as fuck then it rains though algae or no algae.
It’s equally slippy either way your still walking on wood

Dunno how people work out it’s less if you have groves if your walking along the grooves it’s no difference if not worse as there is less surface to grip
I guess they think the ridges create friction? Its probably a small factor.
But then the raised grain across the flat surface also gives grip - plus flat board dry out MUCH faster, so they're wet much less which also means less algae on them, which means less slippy again

whichever way you put the boards, there should be a slight fall so the water runs off. Obviously you still get some gathering but not as much.

Back