Scouting abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agree on Vaughan but if McGeady was genuinely 250k then I wouldn't worry too much about that - it's a f***ing steal

I agree, just don't know his wage and I don't think there is any sell on to be had from him.

I assumed we would be buying younger players on lower wages, that's not to say he isn't an excellent signing at this level.

I agree, just don't know his wage and I don't think there is any sell on to be had from him.

I assumed we would be buying younger players on lower wages, that's not to say he isn't an excellent signing at this level.

I thought that we'd be doing the same too tbh, but it appears that the old boys club is being rebuilt in Grayson image instead of Moyes'

I can see why Grayson doesn't want to take risks and prefers players he knows but it really is small minded to restrict your market to England / former employees. There's a whole world out there. We can't afford more Alvarez and Giaccherini type signings but refusing to buy from abroad, where most of the bargains are, is a bit of a cop out. Cost cutting and buying British don't really go hand-in-hand.

Short should go just for not geting even a descent scouting network going... what a mess he has created

Find it interesting that the 2 we've signed have practically no resale value. I had assumed this would be high on the agenda this pre season.

Why? Shoudln't we try and get promoted?

We have enough young players on the books

We need some experience, or we could easily plummet.

Isn't that what moyes did though and it went to tits :lol:
It's the position our board force you into

Agree on Vaughan but if McGeady was genuinely 250k then I wouldn't worry too much about that - it's a f***ing steal

Only if he stays fit and performs. Otherwise we have another high wage earner doing very little. Fingers crossed. It's a gamble because he's been shite more than he's done well.

Last edited:
Why? Shoudln't we try and get promoted?

We have enough young players on the books

We need some experience, or we could easily plummet.

No one said we shouldn't try to get promoted, there are more ways available than buying players proven to be incapable of playing at the top level.

If we plan for 3 - 6 seasons down the line and we don't get promoted, its not the end of the world. If we plan purely to get promoted next season and don't, then it keeps getting more difficult to turn this club around.

You never answered me as to what happened to your Johnson account? Is it banned?

Short should go just for not geting even a descent scouting network going... what a mess he has created

He had some of the most highly rated scouts in the world with the Italians, that was the season he decided we had to make cuts and sacked them within 6 months.

Last edited:
No one said we shouldn't try to get promoted, there are more ways available than buying players proven to be incapable of playing at the top level.

If we plan for 3 - 6 seasons down the line and we don't get promoted, its not the end of the world. If we plan purely to get promoted next season and don't, then it keeps getting more difficult to turn this club around.

You never answered me as to what happened to your Johnson account? Is it banned?

He had some of the most highly rated scouts in the world with the Italians, that was the season he decided we had to make cuts and sacked them within 6 months.[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY

they tried to get Benjamin mendy (going to man city for 50m)
lucas orban (now at psg I think)
and we got 14 players in for a ridiculous net spend of 3M quid

as it was di canio lost the plot loaning out n diaye, selling mclean for 1.5m, signing players and freezing them out, outcasting bardsley and Cattermole, selling sess ffs

would have been interesting if di canio had been back with the kind of money bruce and o neill had...assuming we were not quite backed with what di canio wanted, and assuming di canio wasn't insane and sold sess/loaned out alf and sold mclean could have had a squad of

1) vito gk
2) Peruzzi
3) mendy
4) o shea
5) brown
6) n diaye
7) ki
8) huddlestone
9) Johnson
10) Lukaku (loan) or jozy :)
11) Sess

12) westwood gk
13) diakite
14) celutska
15) borini
16) giach
17) wickham
18) Cattermole
19) Larsson
20 roberge
21) colback
22) garnder
23) seb
24) mclean or mavrias

which id bet would have been pretty decent

EXACTLY

as it was di canio lost the plot loaning out n diaye, selling mclean for 1.5m, signing players and freezing them out, outcasting bardsley and Cattermole, selling sess ffs

would have been interesting if di canio had been back with the kind of money bruce and o neill had...assuming we were not quite backed with what di canio wanted, and assuming di canio wasn't insane and sold sess/loaned out alf and sold mclean could have had a squad of

1) vito gk
2) Peruzzi
3) mendy
4) o shea
5) brown
6) n diaye
7) ki
8) huddlestone
9) Johnson
11) Sess

12) westwood gk
13) diakite
14) celutska
15) borini
16) giach
17) wickham
18) Cattermole
19) Larsson
20 roberge
21) colback
22) garnder
23) seb
24) mclean or mavrias

EXACTLY

1) vito gk
2) Peruzzi
3) mendy
4) o shea
5) brown
6) n diaye
7) ki
8) huddlestone
9) Johnson
11) Sess

12) westwood gk
13) diakite
14) celutska
15) borini
16) giach
17) wickham
18) Cattermole
19) Larsson
20 roberge
21) colback
22) garnder
23) seb
24) mclean or mavrias

Perusing failed a medical and Mendy chose Marseille ahead of us.
The big one is lukaku other than that there isn't much difference.

Perusing failed a medical and Mendy chose Marseille ahead of us.
The big one is lukaku other than that there isn't much difference.

ah didn't know re mendy
what a wise choice he made haha he would probs be playing for southend now if he came to us.

Peruzzi medical to me seems like a cover story as he signed for someone else shortly after.

A lot of the issues were caused by crazy choices by di canio/poyet and congerton

and we were getting cheaper and cheaper each season

I rate congerton as miles worse than di fanti, just got the impression he bluffed his way in with a 'turn key solution' and was crap

ah didn't know re mendy
what a wise choice he made haha he would probs be playing for southend now if he came to us.

Peruzzi medical to me seems like a cover story as he signed for someone else shortly after.

A lot of the issues were caused by crazy choices by di canio/poyet and congerton

and we were getting cheaper and cheaper each season

I rate congerton as miles worse than di fanti, just got the impression he bluffed his way in with a 'turn key solution' and was crap
Not sure it was a cover story he did sign for someone else but didn't play until December iirc.
Honestly I don't think Di Fanti nor Congerton were given long enough to be able to make any real assesment as to how proficient they are. Something of a theme here. Could probably argue neither really showed they were worth much longer as well.
On balance I reckon Congerton did better purely on the altidore swap for defoe and PVA.

I'm assuming with hardly any basis that brexit (f***ing idiots) means it won't be about costs anymore - maybe wages, but about attracting the right talent. Obviously pulling in players Grayson knows is the first step. Players he can rely on etc. Next, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back