Scottish people

Love the Orkneys, been three times now.

Why were you on Papa Westray though? There is literally nothing there.

I wanted to go to the Knap of Howar and do the 2 minute flight from Westray.

We flew up from Kirkwall to Westray, then across to Papay. Walked to the Knap of Howar and had a good look around. Walked across the island to the sandy coves at the other side. Had a picnic on the beach while watching birds and seals. Walked all the way up the coves while the seals followed us and kept bobbing up keeping an eye on us (was hilarious!). The bairn collected loads of bonny shells on the way. Went up to the bird hide and saw more birds. Walked back down to St Boniface Kirk church. Walked back to the airfield and flew back to the mainland. It was so peaceful and a really good day out 😎

Maybe I'm out of order here and I'm the last person to generalise...

Working for the SLC, we have offices in Glasgow and I'm having to speak to them several times a day.

Why are they so bloody miserable
😅 is this a thing? I speak to the English people, and the Welsh, they're nice as pie.

But the Scottish sound like they have lost the will to live.

They obviously don't take prisoners at that level.

Q.E.D.

I wanted to go to the Knap of Howar and do the 2 minute flight from Westray.

We flew up from Kirkwall to Westray, then across to Papay. Walked to the Knap of Howar and had a good look around. Walked across the island to the sandy coves at the other side. Had a picnic on the beach while watching birds and seals. Walked all the way up the coves while the seals followed us and kept bobbing up keeping an eye on us (was hilarious!). The bairn collected loads of bonny shells on the way. Went up to the bird hide and saw more birds. Walked back down to St Boniface Kirk church. Walked back to the airfield and flew back to the mainland. It was so peaceful and a really good day out 😎
Going to check that out if/when we return. You need to take the boat over to Rousay if you're interested in the archaeology, Becs.

Going to check that out if/when we return. You need to take the boat over to Rousay if you're interested in the archaeology, Becs.

We didn't manage to fit that in but I would love to go back and see it.

As well as Papay, we did:

Stromness and the museum
Maeshowe visitor centre (cairn was still closed)
Ring of Brodgar
Stones of Stenness
Ness of Brodgar dig
Barnhouse Settlement
Earls Palace at Birsay
Brough of Birsay
Orkney Museum in Kirkwall
St Magnus Cathedral
Bishops and Earls palaces
Skara Brae
Skaill House
Yesnaby sea stack walk
Barony Mill
Broch of Gurness
The Gloop and Mull Head walk
Italian Chapel
Churchill Barriers
Orkney Fossil museum
Hoxa Head battery

The bairns loved it!

If you can look past varying but ever present levels of distain they have for us they’re canny people. We probs get a bit more leeway on account of us being northern and having completely different accents to people 60 miles south of us and we use a fair few similar slang words. worked with loads of Scots and 90% express anti English sentiments and I’d say 50% of those were not joking. But aye canny bunch.

To be honest, you only need to look at parallels such us and the mags, or Springfield and Shelbyville; it's the same the world over. Look beyond the flag-wavers/face-painters and we're all just people trying to enjoy life without pissing/pishing/peshing each other off.

I know the thread is just a light-hearted piss-take, but there really are thickos out there (both sides of the border) who buy into this tribal shite.

We didn't manage to fit that in but I would love to go back and see it.

As well as Papay, we did:

Stromness and the museum
Maeshowe visitor centre (cairn was still closed)
Ring of Brodgar
Stones of Stenness
Ness of Brodgar dig
Barnhouse Settlement
Earls Palace at Birsay
Brough of Birsay
Orkney Museum in Kirkwall
St Magnus Cathedral
Bishops and Earls palaces
Skara Brae
Skaill House
Yesnaby sea stack walk
Barony Mill
Broch of Gurness
The Gloop and Mull Head walk
Italian Chapel
Churchill Barriers
Orkney Fossil museum
Hoxa Head battery

The bairns loved it!
That's a pretty comprehensive list!

Hoy and South Walls are worth the ferry trip if you go back. We've also been to Sanday but there isn't a lot there. Westray there's only really Notland's castle to see.

Kids enjoyed it but pretty sure they'd find it shit boring now, having become teenagers, and would rather stare st their screens.

Love the accent me like. Whenever I'm feeling a bit down I remember the time a softly spoken lass from Edinburgh invited me back to hers after nightclub kicking out time.

Think she realised it was getting late and spoke to me as a last resort, but still, I don't need to remember that part.

Also, I didn't take her up on the offer neither, cos I'm a topper lad. :cool:

Last edited:
Get Ben the rum. Anybody else know the translation?
Go in the bedroom.

when asked where the biscuits were my gran would reply ‘ in the bottom press’ and if you use a plate sign it up after ye.

met some great people up there, worked all over Scotland and my mother is Glaswegian so still have a lot of family up there.. some of them are so vitriolic regarding the English I’ve chosen not to bother with them anymore.. pathetic in my opinion.

Last edited:
Go in the bedroom.

when asked where the biscuits were my gran would reply ‘ in the bottom press’ and if you use a plate sign it up after ye.

met some great people up there, worked all over Scotland and my mother is Glaswegian so still have a lot of family up there.. some of them are so vitriolic regarding the English I’ve chosen not to bother with them anymore.. pathetic in my opinion.
Spot on. Been in Bathgate 20 years now, only had one bit of bother, but the locals sided with me and it was sorted sharpish. Mind our lass worked the pubs all her days and is well known in the area.

Spot on. Been in Bathgate 20 years now, only had one bit of bother, but the locals sided with me and it was sorted sharpish. Mind our lass worked the pubs all her days and is well known in the area.
Worked in Bathgate a while back but wasn’t staying there, was staying near bridge of Allan. Nice area, nature of the job meant lots of travelling between jobs so got to see loads of lovely places..

Once got sent to mallaig from spean bridge, lovely summers day ( rare I know) and it was class.. long drive to do one job but while you’re marching you’re not fighting.

never had any bother really, only thing I can remember was during euro 96 when gazza scored against Scotland.. was in a pub in Dunfermline where the clientele weren’t quite as appreciative as I was.

all the places out the way the people seemed happy to see you in my experience.

I’d be up there more often if not for the travel time. Took ages to get to Oban a couple year back, but fancy trying further up the west coast.

Back