Scottish FA expected to ban children heading footballs within weeks

It's a serious matter and needs addressing, are other FA's doing this though? - personally I think we went backwards since we banned kids using their feet in 1987, so this will not help the state of the Scotland team. ;)

Morons considering its a massive part of the game.

Mind cant hurt the Scots not like they are winning anything anytime soon.

In some ways might it not help them to develop better technical players? No teams able to just hoof it forwards (which happens at every level and age group) so they'll actually have to practice keeping the ball on the floor. I'm sure they'll still head a ball when playing with friends etc so it's not like the skill of jumping for a ball and heading it will be totally lost. If there's a demonstrable risk of it damaging the long term health if kids head the ball (not sure what evidence there is, and whether it is based on the current balls or the hard ones that were used years ago) then it makes sense tbh

Junior coach on the radio was saying they teach heading technique on the little uns by using those cheap 99p plastic balls, makes sense I guess whilst the brain is still developing.

Still difficult to know if/when the transition can be made to proper balls though.

I can think of Jeff Astle is there any other players that this has affected?
Got to be millions of football players all over the world that have played so would like to see some data for this.

Back