Scotland 500

As @ajthemackem said JOG has nowt there other than the ice cream shop.

I'd probably look at staying in staying at The Weigh Inn if you're planning on beers the night before getting the ferry from Scrabster.
Got the camper so booked the campsite up there, hopefully not to far
Whey it is what it is. All the younguns get in and it gets a bit rowdy at times but never had any bother in there.:lol:
May pop in for one and see how it goes 👍

Last edited:
fort williams just had an outbreak of covid from a bar last weekend ( sportsbar down back alley on the main st if anyone interested )
on a different note ullapool is canny ,nice pubs on harbour front

Roads not too busy? I fancied it a few years back, seems like it's overrun with divvies now.

Think I caught it just right after restrictions were eased....wasn't that busy. Caught some horrific northerly headwinds and weather for 2 days heading up the west coast....Still worth it mind.
There's a canny NC 500 fb cycling group with loads of info if needed.....

Would love to do it but it does sound like its getting absolutely rammer these days. And there's a larger number of scummy arseholes getting campers and motorhomes and leaving their mess behind. Even reports of chemical toilets being emptied by roadsides.
I think some locals are getting pissed off.

I'm spending 3 weeks plus in Scotland later in the year and utilising the NC500 book that Mrs Kaplan got me for Christmas. I will NOT, however, be spending the time ticking places off a list and driving around a 'route' just for the sake of it. I was pretty concerned that this 'branding' exercise would result in making the roads busy with people who just wanted to... well, do what I just said.

I've used the book to plan aspects of the journey but I'll be staying, as ever, in a remote location, using it as a base for exploring the immediate area, walking mostly - with a little driving to get to places... then moving on to a different remote location and exploring again.

Mrs Kaplan explained her gift and then insisted that, if we use the route, we take in her absolute favourite location; Glen Affric. Which is nowhere near any aspect of the route. Still going though. ;)

Would love to do it but it does sound like its getting absolutely rammer these days. And there's a larger number of scummy arseholes getting campers and motorhomes and leaving their mess behind. Even reports of chemical toilets being emptied by roadsides.
I think some locals are getting pissed off.

Applecross was bad last year apparently. Campers cutting trees down to burn and that.

Get back to BENNERS.

Roads not too busy? I fancied it a few years back, seems like it's overrun with divvies now.
It is .
I'm spending 3 weeks plus in Scotland later in the year and utilising the NC500 book that Mrs Kaplan got me for Christmas. I will NOT, however, be spending the time ticking places off a list and driving around a 'route' just for the sake of it. I was pretty concerned that this 'branding' exercise would result in making the roads busy with people who just wanted to... well, do what I just said.

I've used the book to plan aspects of the journey but I'll be staying, as ever, in a remote location, using it as a base for exploring the immediate area, walking mostly - with a little driving to get to places... then moving on to a different remote location and exploring again.

Mrs Kaplan explained her gift and then insisted that, if we use the route, we take in her absolute favourite location; Glen Affric. Which is nowhere near any aspect of the route. Still going though. ;)
I hope the weather's kind . Superb ares but why make it popular ?

Last edited:

Back